Question for Ceramic Smoker Owners

tortaboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Is it true that cooking in a Ceramic cooker will keep your meat more moist than any other smokers...or is that marketing hype?

I've heard all the other benefits (versatility, rock steady temps, etc)...I'm just curious about the moisture comments.

I use a BSK and assure you that it is true.
Physics wise, it is like cooking in an oven bag.

Being honest here....My Cookshack does as a good job as my my Big Green Egg or my Big Steel Keg. The meat is moist as can be.
I enjoy my Cookshack during the winter months when it is blowing snow at 40 to 50 mph. I enjoy not having to deal with live fire in the garage in that weather.
I alsom am a retired professional firefighter/emt.

I don't have one but found useful info.

A metal grill has to draw in much more air to burn as the heat is being dissipated, which will dry out the food as the draft out carries moisture and juices out with it

http://www.grilldome.com/HowCeramicCookersWork.html

Sounds good, and makes sense, but who knows if it is true...or hype. Look at where the comment came from? Follow the money. :-D

I'm not sure you can "guarantee" more moisture in your cooking with a ceramic, but they are definitely very consistent.

The argument might be that your meat is more moist due to the fact that your pit temps are more predictable.

I have many cookers and enjoy them all. I usually use my BGE for low and slow because that is where it shines. The ceramic's are extremely efficient (low use of fuel) which means they don't need much oxygen to keep the temp. This means that very little air needs to pass through the BBQ and very little moisture can escape.

I find my BGE awesome for any slow and low cooking.

I have many cookers and enjoy them all. I usually use my BGE for low and slow because that is where it shines. The ceramic's are extremely efficient (low use of fuel) which means they don't need much oxygen to keep the temp. This means that very little air needs to pass through the BBQ and very little moisture can escape.

I find my BGE awesome for any slow and low cooking.

Hi Marty,

Yep...I hear ya. And you will be a good resource to answer this.

Do you find your meat more moist coming out of your egg than your other cookers?

I love my BGE, but I think that arguement is a bunch of hot air.

Overcook and it dries out just like any other cooker.

Watch your time and temps and it does a good job just like any other cooker.

I love my BGE, but I think that arguement is a bunch of hot air.

Overcook and it dries out just like any other cooker.

Watch your time and temps and it does a good job just like any other cooker.

Same experience here. Eggs have many fine attributes but I cannot detect any difference in moisture between my egg & my kettle. A good example is doing chicken breasts at lower temperatures & indirect, absolutely indistinguishable final product between the egg & the kettle. I've eaten pulled pork, ribs & brisket off of all varieties of cookers & cannot detect any moisture benefit attibutable to ceramic - the ability of the cook him/herself is really the dividing line between good & not so good bbq

I think it's relative. If your cooker uses a water pan, the cooking environment will be just as moist as the Egg. If you cook with a stick burner and don't use a water pan, then it'll be drier than the Egg. And it's true, that you can over cook and dry out anything.

I'm very pleased with the results of my Egg, but I can't say it's "more moist" relative to my Backwoods (which uses a huge water pan). I will say that the results are "more moist" than when I was cooking on a small off-set.

As I said, it's relative.

Cheers,
Braddog

I did some benchmarking when testing out some new comp rib recipes on the Kamado Joe versus the Traegers this year. You won't get a more moist product than on a pellet pooper, but the ceramics take the next spot for juiciness to me. In side by side testing, with spares, the ceramic produced a better smoke flavor but drier in finish texture than the pellet grill. That's pretty obvious to anyone who uses both though.

Back