Official 2010 Jack Draw Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jack is and will be (to me) the ultimate BBQ Championship...some will take advantage in any and every way. Some will profit from it...some will savor it's memories and commeraderie...I fall in the latter. See you all...at The Jack...:thumb:

JD

Why is the Jack the ultimate BBQ championship? It is hardly the most competitive field (across the board) year after year. Most of the Smoke on the Water contests yield a higher calibre field, as well did the Sam's Club contest and the American Royal. Why is the Jack so coveted? I say, take away the draw and it loses a bit of its allure.

Hater Todd.... Pull that crown from over your eyes, so you can see clearly.... :crazy:

maybe if the rules didnt make the NCAA rulebook look like the mayberry phone book this wouldnt be an issue.

Its really not that bad (I think). Here is my take on an abbreviated version:

Qualifying contests are those that include meat categories of chicken, pork and beef AND:
* 1st year contest with 15 teams and a proclamation
or
* 25 teams and a proclamation
or
* 50+ teams

Automatics
1. Jack, Memphis, Houston, ARO
2. States with only 1 qualifying contest

State Draw
* State draw order is random
* Automatics are not included in State draw
* some teams may have multiple entries in a state draw
* One team is selected from each State Draw

Home State
* If any state is not represented at this point teams that live in the state may be selected
* Parrothead lives in North Dakota. No teams from North Dakota were selected in the other draws. Parrothead goes to the Jack
* If there were multiple teams in the draw from North Dakota they would have a home state draw

Wild Card
* One team is selected at the end of the draw from all the teams left. No multiple entries here. One bung per team left

Why is the Jack the ultimate BBQ championship? It is hardly the most competitive field (across the board) year after year. Most of the Smoke on the Water contests yield a higher calibre field, as well did the Sam's Club contest and the American Royal. Why is the Jack so coveted? I say, take away the draw and it loses a bit of its allure.

So says the guy that has never been there. :boxing:

The one thing that is not mentioned above is that the folks at the Jack get their information from the sanctioning bodies who certify that what they are reporting conforms to the standards set by The Jack. I don't believe they personally check that all the reports are accurate, but instead, rely on the integrity of the sanctioning body.

Very good blog post from the heart from a man with BQ, IQ and EQ.

Sorry gotta disagree with his blog post. Would prefer to discuss this somewhere where Harry posts but anyways...

Harry is NOT being flamed because he is successful. Rod Gray is successful and no one has as single issue with his invitation. The issue is whether the 7th contest qualified, thats it.

Sorry gotta disagree with his blog post. Would prefer to discuss this somewhere where Harry posts but anyways...

Harry is NOT being flamed because he is successful. Rod Gray is successful and no one has as single issue with his invitation. The issue is whether the 7th contest qualified, thats it.

At least those cali boys stick together...you can say that for them. but yeah his "haters gonna hate" blog post is hardly heartfelt or even informational.

Why is the Jack the ultimate BBQ championship? It is hardly the most competiive field (across the board) year after year. Most of the Smoke on the Water contests yield a higher calibre field, as well did the Sam's Club contest and the American Royal. Why is the Jack so coveted? I say, take away the draw and it loses a bit of its allure.

It has taken me some time to formulate an appropriate response to this statement.

All of the mentioned contests are KCBS cookoffs. They do not truly represent BBQ in the world.

Where else can you compete against the GC's of Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo, MIM, American Royal Open, and last year's Jack winner? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against 7 GC winners from all over the US? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against winners from all states who have a sanctioned bbq contest? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against bbq cooks who use different techniques and flavors which are regional in nature? The Jack!

How do you get to compete at this contest? You have got be lucky or damn good!

Let's celebrate this event for what it is and does.

My .02 cents worth and yes I got very lucky this year :-D

Mack Yarbrough

Personal opinion...nothing more...nothing less.

Completely agree Chris. Using that example. As I have said in some PM's, if the shoe was on the other foot, ie Rod. I would of had a problem with that as well. (I also hate bringing Rod into this, but he is probably the best example for being the TOY points leader and winning his damn 7 cobntests a year for the last 10 years!!! )

I am truly happy for Harry the success that he has had and the success that he will have. But we all want to go to the Jack. No one is more deserving than anyone else as others have alluded. We all need to make sure the rules are followed and absolutely no sense of wrong doing (not necessarily on Harry's part) is going on. I will point the finger at IBCA, but the actual contest also has to be put on the Application for the Jack as well. Which was Harry's responsibility.

Also to those folks that have said that we are ruining your experience. If you really think that any past champion would go out and knock the contest that is a World Championship. You are mistaken. I know I can probably speak for any of the past champions and we ilil defend the honor and prestige of this contest until it goes away. Are we wrong for that?

I also completely understand why folks from Cali are defending Harry. He is one of your own. I respect you all for that. I just hope folks can understand the point of view that us 'others' have. We aren't trying to bring down the Jack, Harry or anyone else. The reason that we have rules is to keep uniformity. To have contests change their results, is not uniform and is not good for BBQ.

these are all opinions that I have addressed with others. I figured it was time that it was aired. I hope the Mods (especially Jorge) can see where I am coming from. I mean no disrepect to any of the Mods and most importantly Phil and his group of Brethren.

Peace out to all.

Scottie
2006 Jack Daniel's World Invitational Grand Champion

It has taken me some time to formulate an appropriate response to this statement.

All of the mentioned contests are KCBS cookoffs. They do not truly represent BBQ in the world.

Where else can you compete against the GC's of Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo, MIM, American Royal Open, and last year's Jack winner? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against 7 GC winners from all over the US? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against winners from all states who have a sanctioned bbq contest? The Jack!

Where else can you compete against bbq cooks who use different techniques and flavors which are regional in nature? The Jack!

How do you get to compete at this contest? You have got be lucky or damn good!

Mack Yarbrough

I'll disagree. The Royal is my ultimate. If you win a qualifying GC, that is open, you can cook the invitational if you choose. Win loose or draw you have the opportunity the next day to cook the Open against the vast majority of the teams from the invitational and anybody else willing to spend the money to cook. In my book, that's the ultimate because between the two there isn't anybody that's excluded.

The Jack is incredibly special because in reality you have to win at least twice. You have to win a qualifier, and then you have to win in the draw if you don't have one of the automatic spots. The Jack is the most exclusive and has an aura about it that's hard to beat, but I can't call it the ultimate.

All of the mentioned contests are KCBS cookoffs. They do not truly represent BBQ in the world. Isn't the Jack run by KCBS and use their rules?

Where else can you compete against the GC's of Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo, MIM, American Royal Open, and last year's Jack winner? The Jack! The Royal

Where else can you compete against 7 GC winners from all over the US? The Jack! The Royal, GAB, SOTW Little Rock, ...

Where else can you compete against winners from all states who have a sanctioned bbq contest? The Jack! All GC winners are invited to the GAB and the Royal... more than are invited to the Jack.

Where else can you compete against bbq cooks who use different techniques and flavors which are regional in nature? The Jack! The GAB, The Royal, and many other contests that draw teams from around the country and even international.

How do you get to compete at this contest? You have got be lucky or damn good! This is very true and it pays to be more lucky than good.

Mack Yarbrough

Just putting some perspective on the Jack love affair that everyone seems to have every year. Would I go if invited, sure. But it is a huge crap shoot and not worth the time to worry about. Reality is that cooking primarily in Missouri and Kansas our odds are that we'll never go. And I'm okay with that. We have contests almost every weekend around here and that is a huge plus to competing in our area.

I'm not sour, nor a hater. I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back