• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Another Scam

TOPS BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
FYI - I typically get calls for this same type of order. They usually use an operator that transcribes the message from text to words. I have come to the point that when I get a call from the operator, I just announce to them that it's a scam and hang up.

Anyhow, they are now resorting to e-mails. Here's the latest:

Hello this is Mrs Carla Jenna,

i will like to know if u can be able to make for 250 peoples on the 15th of Jan and it will be pick up in your store by 3pm am going to make the payment with my credit card and the order is for my son wedding is coming up on the15th of Janso i will like to order for Chicken Sandwich and grilled chicken for 250 guest or you can also get me your food meun,and it will be picked up by private shipper service between 3pm on 15th of Jan ,so i can give you my credit card to charge for the payment so let me have the price per person now and the total price altogether now and do u sure you can have it ready for pick up by 3pm and i will like to know if you have handle this type of large order before in your company i will look forward to hear back from you with your full name and store address and phone number and do you accpet all major of credit card for payment, i can be able to forward it to the shipper that will come for the pick up.

Thanks
Carla Jenna

As you can see, their grammar is horrible. But not only that, who hires someone for a wedding without knowing your address or not knowing what's on the menu? They want Chicken Sandwiches and Grilled Chicken. Nice. Anyhow, I just want to give you guys a heads up that these are scams. Not sure how they actually get away with it, but hate to see you guys get scammed.

Typically the credit card is stolen, and they ask you to add a fee for the "third party shipper" to the charge, then give that cash to them at pickup.

The sad thing is this person is usually another mark who has been duped into being the man in the middle. He is supposed to send the cash via Western Union to the con man in his home country of Africa/Russia/etc. It's all about the money - nobody cares about the food, which is often sent to a false address and left to spoil.

I got one as well in an e-mail. I asked CROCKE about it and he told me what was up. It is nice to have friends on this forum:-D Its funny we work hard enough catering and there are people out there with no morals

Back