Lang cooker OK for Las Vegas?

H

hpdrifter

I sure do have a lot of questions, but I will attempt to post them separately.

I am ready to make the jump from the WSM and Bar-B-Chef to a larger pit, due to requests for more barbecue and the need to be able to travel and do on-site cooks for friends and family (and maybe other ventures).

Thinking a classic offset like the Lang 84 would be a great way to go, however I was concerned about fuel availability. Obviously, there is no hickory or other decent smoke wood around here, save mesquite, which doesn't really interest me. There is an apple orchard a couple hours up north, but don't want to rely on that. Until I can move somewhere where there is available wood, could I use charcoal effectively in the Lang? Haven't seen anything like a Lang in these parts. What do southwest cookers like me use? I am not opposed to something like a Stumps or Backwoods, I just like the idea of a big piece of iron and a couple huge racks with everything laid out and accessible. We all like multiple cookers, just looking for my first "big boy" unit. I realize that a Stumps type on a trailer might end up being the best way to go, for my scenario, just wanted to get some input.

On a side note, the idea of "placemaking", a concept that we Landscape Architecture types buy into, seems to go hand in hand with a cooker such as the Lang (as opposed to a cabinet type). It is immediately recognizable, and the smell and activity around it draws a crowd and will serve as a gathering place that people will remember and come back to (assuming one is catering, vending, or even just cooking on the street). This town (well I guess any town) would benefit from something like that as opposed to a Tony Romas or Famous Dave's type of joint, where the customer is detached from everything.
Too bad the Health Department doesn't think so.

Thanks for any info!

Greg

I agree that for making an impression, nothing beats a big offset cooker. I always have crowds gather when I fire up Big Red.

With an apple orchard a couple of hours north, that's the way I would go. Most orchards trim back annually and have a huge pile of wood somewhere. My guess is that most would be happy to let you have it for free as long as you're doing the cutting (might need to sign a waiver though). You can fit enough wood in a pickup for a whole season of cooking unless you're planning to cook all day, every day. Make the call.

As an alternative, you can buy from and online source like www.barbecuewood.com. You'll get a great selection, but shipping can be a bit pricey. I live in the northeast, where hardwood is plentiful. My choice is oak for heat and apple or cherry for flavor. Hickory is OK too, but can be a little strong, though not nearly as strong as mesquite.

Good luck!

See if there is a local firewood dealer and what local prices are.

We use charcoal in our Lang 60 as the main heat source. It's not terrible, all in all
frankly. For wood, if you must, look to doitbest.com. They always have 10lb bags
for around $8 and the shipping is FREE to a hardware store close to YOU.

just buy a cord of oak should be available on the out skirts of vegas trucked in from the foothills. It will be a small investment at first then build on it every year hittin up tree guys and farms. you may need to restock with 1/2 cord a year plus what youve added to it. Know this you will be using logs cooking on a lang so wood management is important. It is for me at least. I burn wood all year long catering, comps, etc....

We use charcoal as our primary heat source and flavor with wood all the time. Be sure to use a quality lump charcoal...

Back