Started construction of new mobile pit.

midnight

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Day before Easter I picked up my metal pannels that I had cut to size, and threw them on a new 5x8 trailer with an expanded metal floor.
Drove to my brothers farm to begin putting it all together.

After 15 hours of grinding and welding we are about half way done.
Smoker will be raised about 12 inches off the floor of the trailer with a 2inch drop from back to front, with a drain in the front for cleanout. Smoke chamber will be 4' tall, 5' long, and 3' wide. Fire box will be 2'x2'

Expanded metal floor of the trailer will be removed and replaced with solid steel under the smoke chamber and fire box, rest of floor will remain expanded metal and will be turned into storage/wood box area.

Fabricated the brackets to hold the smoker 12" off floor out of some leftover 1/2" thick "C" channel. Went to install the floor of the smoke chamber and found out the metal shop cut my floor and top too farking big, and didn't give me the back wall of the fire chamber :evil:

Good news is that the extra metal on the top and bottom pannels will be enough for the back wall of the fire box. Just means more cutting for me.

Here are pics of the trailer after cutting out floor. The trailer with floor brackets welded in place. The floor of the smoke chamber raised up and in place. Smoke chamber with back wall and side wall in place. And last, the fire box welded on.

Looking very nice.

Busy weekend, no? :D

I like it when a plan starts comming together. And nice drain MOD right off the bat. Good work :!: :D

And nice drain MOD right off the bat. Good work
You got that right. He hit that drain mod like someone who has dealt with my only complaint about the dera design, getting the fat away from the fire.

Midnight, nice work! The satisfaction of building that rig yourself is gonna make the food that comes from it taste all the better. Great pictures, keep them coming as you go, again Nice work.

Cleaned up jpegs as requested. BTW Nice start

BigAl said:
BigdogSmoker said:
BigAl said:
I like it when a plan starts comming together.

Nice reference to Hannibal Smith. 8)

Who is Hannibal Smith :?:

The Colonel (leader) of the A-team. You remember, he was played by George Peppard, who was always smoking a big stoggie.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.

They couldn't help, but Charlie's Angles could!

jt said:
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.

Bandera-Brethren Mod :wink:

The TV shows you know and reference make you old farts like me - Midnight I just wish I could do something like that but my mind just doesn't see hardware stuff right.

R

Thanks guys.

The guy in the pants is my brother( I am behind the camera), he also has most of the technical smarts. I drew up the plans last fall and I think he was amazed that all the pieces seem to be fitting together like a glove.....come to think of it , so am I.

I will post more pics as I go.

midnight said:
Thanks guys.

The guy in the pants is my brother( I am behind the camera), he also has most of the technical smarts. I drew up the plans last fall and I think he was amazed that all the pieces seem to be fitting together like a glove.....come to think of it , so am I.

I will post more pics as I go.

Sometimes you have to fly the plane............ :wink: :wink: :wink:

Didn't work on pit the weekend after Easter becuse I was out turkey hunting all weekend. But got back to it this past weekend.

It is almost all done but the paint and wiring the trailer back up. We welded in a floor drain with a ball valve for clean out ( pics are in another thread on drain mods). We used 11/2" angle iron for the shelf supports in the smoke chamber and the fire box. I added a 12" wide heat deflector on the opening from the fire box. After I test it out I may need to add tuning plates but will have to wait and see.

Replaced the expanded metal floor in the trailer in all areas around the smoker. I have enough metal left to complete my wood box and storage areas but don't have them done yet.

We put all the doors on using heavy duty home made hinges. I made them so I can take the doors off if I need to. Cut 3/4' heavy duty expanded metal for the 3 shelves in smoke chamber and for the fire grate in the fire box. We added center supports to the shelves in the smoke chamber, each should be able to hold over 300 lbs.

Made door latches and lock downs to secure all doors. Added the top, has a 4 inch over hang in the front to keep rain out of the door seams and whoever is cooking.

I don't know if you've started considering names yet but the "Midnight Special" sounds as good as that rig looks. Fine work Midnight, how do I place my order? :wink:

Back