Beef shoulder... with pron

Crazy Tex

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I get called early this morning... 'Hey... buddy of ours was working steers yesterday and one broke its back.. so they butchered it... wanna cook a beef shoulder?'

Umm.. YEAH!

So off I go, fired up the smoker and waited for the meat to arrive. Once it showed up, we injected it and rubbed the outside with Montreal steak seasoning (I would have picked other spices, but it wasn't my meat...)

After cooking and drinking most of the day... it was time to eat.. for those of you have never had FRESH, never frozen beef... it is heaven.. so tender, so flavorful, so juicy..

Anywho... here are the pics.

Seasoned shoulder
IMG00063.jpg

Leg portion
IMG00064.jpg

Right before we wrapped it up
IMG00065.jpg

Right before we devoured it!
IMG00067.jpg

Wow, that is a nice hunk of meat and lots of juices.

What cuts usually come from the shoulder of a cow? I'm guessing roasts and stew meat. Never seen a whole shoulder like that. Nice work.

You are really, really lucky on that one.

The quality of un-finished beef is always a hit-and-miss deal .... and since this steer wasn't even cooled out and aged for 10 to 14 days, I'm surprised the gravy wasn't tough. :biggrin:

Nice way to spend the day,tending meat and drinking beer.

Who said anything about beer?? I was drinking Crown and Sprite.. :shock:

We did get lucky.. but they butchered it and iced it down pretty quickly...

Cooked for almost 9 hours, then we rested it for at least 2... faster than I wanted to cook it, but if we wanted to eat dinner... then we had to crank up the heat a bit.

Back