Another "how long for this turkey" question - 1st time spatch

embo500

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey folks. I've got a 15lb. turkey that I'm brining for 48h prior to smoking. I'm planning on doing it spatchcock. I've never done spatchcock before, so I'm not sure how it affects the cook time. I suspect it will shorten it a bit since the heat doesn't have to get up into the cavity.

Any thoughts on how long for this at 225 - 250? I'm initially thinking no more than 6 hours...

EDIT: Second thought, I should probably run around 300 to keep the bird out of the danger zone, shouldn't I? Duh. Sorry, it's early.

Last edited:
uhhhh...til its done? probe thermometer and cook it to...whats the general consensus on Turkey 160?

That is a less than helpful answer.

Yes, I plan on using a probe therm to get it to 160. That's pretty much standard practice. I guess I was wondering if anyone had any idea what kind of difference spatchcocking might make to cook time, since I haven't done one before. Hence the subject line "1st time spatch".

did a 19 pound bird spatchcocked last weekend ..at 325 it took about 3.5-4 hrs

If I do "beer can style" at between 325 and 350, I usually figure about 12-15 minutes per pound. If you open it up spatchcock style, I'd figure about 10-12. I think that about matches what BillM quoted.

Good luck and post PRON!

I spatchcocked a turkey last weekend practicing for the big day. I brined it for about 18 hours and then cooked at 270 for a total of THREE HOURS! The first 1.5 hours skin side down, the last 1.5 hours skin side up. That's it, three hours! The temps checked out at about 170 and my wife said it was teh best turket she had ever had!

Oh yea, and it was a 14lb bird. I also have a CS680, and that's what I cooked it on!

Do you have problems with wide temperature variances from end to end on your 680???

Do you have problems with wide temperature variances from end to end on your 680???

Yeah, kind of. The far right end (away from the fire box) gets pretty hot since all the air comes up there. It's fairly stable across the board, but there are definitely some areas that heat up more than others. Once you're used to it, it's not too bad to work around, but I would love it if it were just a little more solid.

Other than that I love my CS680! I gotta get me one of them digital controllers that Danson's sells.

Back