Pork box - judge and critique please

Other than looking a little dry in the picture -- which it might not have looked like in real life -- that box looks very good to me. If it looked moist at the time, I would have given it an 8, if not a 7.

Perhaps that stringy piece on the right pops out and distracts somewhat, but I wouldn't have counted down for that.

I would give it a 7 or 8. I like the chunks but to get the 9 I think you should have more bark showing and maybe a little shine to make it pop and the pulled is a little distracting and does not add to the overall appearance to me. I don't really grade on garnish unless it is really distracting so it did not affect the score at all.

6 - I think that's an average looking pork box

Someone's going to call the score harsh, so here's my reasoning - It looks like a pile of huge pork chunks with some strands of pork to the front. The barked pieces are hidden, had they been on top the score may have been higher. Simply, its appearance doesn't make me feel like I need to have a sample now.

All that said, if I were a judge it probably would have got a 7 because a 6 is generally as low as I go unless it's God-awful and it's not a bad looking box - but it's not above average either.

Lose the strands. Kind of reminds me of finding hair in my food at a restaurant.

I will not do that at fybo, if you are still in!
Yeah but I will be sure to bring some protective gear to wear. With all of the friends you have making out on the circuit I might be at risk of getting hit with some flying objects :tongue:

Don't worry they all hate me until they meet me. I knew you were staying out of that one. I was entertaining myself!

I just got my badge yesterday, so I am now certifiable. I'd go with a solid 8.

Loses the strands and put more garnish around the front to even it out. The lack of garnish up front and the strands overlapping on the sides is distracting to me. The meat looks good and moist to me, I would probably give it a 6 or 7. You could replace the strands with slices if you want something different in the meat.
Dave

From a layman's perspective ...

The meat looks delicious.

The layout ... average. Other boxes I've seen here look better organized.

The box just doesn't say "eat me now or you'll regret it!" like some of the boxes that were winners did.

I'd go between 7 and 8... so I'd resolve to an 8... lose the strands, like said, center better on the garnish to frame it better... it will look more organized, which is hard to do with pork.

Judge the meat, judge the meat, judge the meat...7-8, did not like the way the color of sauce distracted from meat appearence...Judge the meat..8.

6 - 7

Increase the garnish, then increase the meat to fill the box out, top and bottom left looks a little sparse, the stringyness could be laid out neater, and an area of bark separate to the chunks might help out.

From a judging point of view, if you want the judges to taste all the styles of meat in the box, give them a chance to obtain their samples as cleanly as possible, being able to pick from the bark, the chunks, and the pulled to put on the judges plate, the cleaner I can do it the higher I'm likely to score the box.

6- the chunks are ragged, not enough bark showing, the stringy meat in front does not add to the presentation.

I'd go 7, loose the strands and a little more moist looking ( mainly the one piece bottom right ) and I'd bring it to 8-9

I don't know if you've ever considered it but a competition cooking classes might help you with presentation. The class I've been to spent a lot of time on that topic.

As for the box pictured, I'd give it a 6.

I don't know if you've ever considered it but a competition cooking classes might help you with presentation. The class I've been to spent a lot of time on that topic.

As for the box pictured, I'd give it a 6.

I was going to take a class, but have been turned off by most who run them in this area. Waiting to find a good instructor. I have a few in mind, waiting for their schedules to come out.

Thanks for your input

Back