ECB mods and first smoke...

Single Fin Smoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
DSC01548.JPG

DSC01549.JPG
Drilled some holes for the smoke to escape thru + added pie tin damper for control.
DSC01550.JPG
Drilled bottom and side holes in the charcoal bowl for air flow + threw a grate from a mini webber kettle.
DSC01560.JPG
I gotta tell you, this thing works great! Obviously, I couldn't have made this possible(or would have even attempted this) without input Mr. Rookie dad. His version of the ECB for Dummies(like me) worked perfectly.
My first smoke: 2 Fatties, 2 stuffed bell peppers, and some mini wings/drummets. The food was unbelieveable! Maybe I wussed out not going with any heavy cuts a meat(mind you the lack of thermometer), but I had 3-4 hours of smoke and heat w/out adding anymore coals or wood. Maybe that water bowl has something to do with it. I am so stoked to now have 2 usable smokers in my quiver.

More mods I'm thinking of: more side holes in the charcoal bowl, possibly a black paint job, and tightening the side door(its loose and I notice alot of smoke escapes thru the gap), maybe even widening it. Also thinkin of painting it black, but I'm not sure of what kind of paint would work on a smoker.

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks again. Fin

Looks good! I started on an ECB, and know for a fact that you can make some good Q on one. If you haven't already, check out this page: http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

it's the definitive mod list for the ECB. I highly recommend putting legs on the charcoal bowl, and swapping the factory legs to the outside. That'll make replenishing the fire and dumping ash much easier when you start having longer cooks (and you will).

But you're well on the way, and the grub looks great!

Nice job on the mods. I think 3-4 hours of burn was pretty good.

The main concept is that you don't light off all the charcoal at one time.

Fill the charcoal ring, light about 12-15 briquettes in a charcoal chimney (lump will work, but it's not as dependable as briquettes), put the lighted charcoal on top of the center of the unlit charcoal...the fire will expand as needed - this is where the air control features of a WSM come into play.

I've used the Minion method with my old (now defunked, burned out ECB) and it worked fine - I just had to live with whatever temp the cooker settled into - usually around 230-250. My WSM can settle into 230 and sit there for hours.

For more info and some alternative methods go to www.virturalweberbullet.com for some great info - it applies to the WSM and other "bullet" style cookers.

Single Fin glad to here your {ECB} worked good for ya. Rust-oleum or American Tradition makes a high heat paint that you can get at any local lumber store.I think they will go to about 1200 degrees. The only thing is that if you don't have a gun to shot it out of you will have to roll or brush it on. I have used both brands with good success many times. I prefer to spray mine with a gun. You may want to check but I have had paint put into a can to spray just not this heat paint.

Mr. Chad, I confess......I do not own a charcoal chimney. However, I promise you I will correct that with some of the many gift certificates my wife and I recieved over the holidays.
Question: are the unlit coals mixed with wood chuncks?

Mr. Smoke U, its so funny you've posted that because I just got back from Ace Hardware about an houre ago with the exact Rustoleum you mentioned.
Your a mind reader bro!

Thanks, I am so stoked to have rescued this from the trash man. I love tinkering with free stuff, that works.

Single Fin Smoker said:
Mr. Chad, I confess......I do not own a charcoal chimney. However, I promise you I will correct that with some of the many gift certificates my wife and I recieved over the holidays.
Question: are the unlit coals mixed with wood chuncks?

Mr. Smoke U, its so funny you've posted that because I just got back from Ace Hardware about an houre ago with the exact Rustoleum you mentioned.
Your a mind reader bro!

Thanks, I am so stoked to have rescued this from the trash man. I love tinkering with free stuff, that works.

I mix some small chunks, about the size of chewing gum packs, into the charcoal in the ring and add 3-4 with the 12-15 briquettes...some brothers use a LOT more wood - I find the smaller chunks and spreading them throughout the charcoal gets the job done.

Back