Brisket wrapping question

Friction33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
In my quest for cooking knowledge I have read several threads on cooking brisket. Everyone seems to favor wrapping in butchers paper. Unless I am just being stupid I don't remember reading why it's the preferred method. So my question to the brisket experts is why butcher paper compared to aluminum or any other wrapping materials?
Tnx for the input

The paper breathes just a little which allows for better bark development and less risk of a pot roast flavor.

Both have their benefits. Foil will get er done faster, but seems to braise the meat a bit; which IMHO is not a bad thing if that is what you want. Paper allows for a nice bark but does not hold the same amount of moisture and last but absolutely not least is the neked' version. All, have grand positives and well discussed challenges, but done right all are great.

What Landarc said. While I also foiled for a long time but didn't really taste like pot roast. You just make sure you're happy at your preferred stage of the bark then wrap it in foil.

Also, when I cook a brisket in the kamado I never wrap. Depending which cooker I use is what I'm trying to get at. Hopefully I didn't confuse you.:grin:

Thanks everyone and no confusion at all SSV3. So I'm guessing if I cook in my UDS probably best not to wrap at all for a good bark and just let it ride until probe tender
Oh wait...... I can use this for an experiment to cook more briskets. Ya that will work.

There is also the juice factor.
In foil the juices from the meat are contained for later use, as in au jus.
In paper, unless you put it on a rack in a foil pan, you will lose a good part of your juices into the fire.
I foil and use butchers paper, depending on how I want the brisket to turn out.
I also go nekked with nothin on the brisket as well.

Good luck

I use Butcher paper vs Nekid cuz Nekid the edges of the flat would Char

Back