MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Sysco to but US Foods 3.5 Billion

That's buy not but sorry. This sucks for me, Sysco in my area will not work with the small guy. They only want your business if you can purchase large quantities. I have had great success using US Foods http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/12/...-billion/?_r=0
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I heard this on the radio and was surprised. I have had the US Foods salesman in trying to get my business. I switched from Sysco to Reinhart, just because Sysco was higher priced. I think Sysco's business model is to cater to the institutional places and everyone else be damned.

I also received an email from Sysco. It said that the deal won't be final until the third quarter of next year, so you have some time. What I'm wondering is how the two will fit together. Sysco really is not customer service based where US Foods is. I guess only time will tell.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

a couple years ago I was using Sysco, Thousands of pounds in butts and I kept getting bone fragments in the meat, I kept complaininig till then finally a customer received a fragment that we did not catch, they claimed even before this happened I was the only one to complain and the district manager called, however never ever followed up, so i dropped them...US is right down the road and the deals are good..but wait n see now..

Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

I feel sorry for the smaller guys.
I am a Sysco user and absolutely LOVE them but then i'm one of their biggest customers in Mi.
Customer service is top notch and i've even trained the drivers to unload their truck to make my job easier!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
That's buy not but sorry. This sucks for me, Sysco in my area will not work with the small guy. They only want your business if you can purchase large quantities. I have had great success using US Foods http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/12/...-billion/?_r=0
We are getting small tidbits of info on the deal. They are planning on running the 2 seperate. They plan on using Sysco supply chain, and US foods service model (that's my take), to help one another.
MI Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Bubba, did you ever get the fragments in the block pork butts? We averaged 1 or 2 every 10 it was better for awhile, then the customer got one in a pulled pork sandwich...

Old 12-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I feel sorry for the smaller guys.
I am a Sysco user and absolutely LOVE them but then i'm one of their biggest customers in Mi.
Customer service is top notch and i've even trained the drivers to unload their truck to make my job easier!
We call that type of training "bribery" down here...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
landarc

Sysco did this with a smaller food distribution company out here, as well as a small national organic/natural service provider. What they did was keep the smaller market service up and running initially, then slowly phase out both service and product line. They worked on trying to set up a cooperative distribution plan, where one drop would service three or four small customers. That failed. Now, they are trying a small truck delivery system, a friend uses them, and he seems to be happy.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
Bubba, did you ever get the fragments in the block pork butts? We averaged 1 or 2 every 10 it was better for awhile, then the customer got one in a pulled pork sandwich...
Butcher Block pork butts. I have had fragments but thats gonna happen once in a while. I usually catch them when rubbing.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote