Slaw on pulled pork ?!?! WHAT??????

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok folks, I've eaten countless pounds of pulled pork (and love it), but the thought of putting slaw on top of it, is worse that the thought of.....{insert your worst culinary nightmare here}....

But....I'm game. :twitch:

If I've learned nothing else, the wonderful ideas I've discovered on this excellent forum are ideas that I need to try. Without question.
So....I'm ready to make some slaw for the top of my PP.

So, if you'd be so kind, please tell this "slaw noob" the finer points of making that famous topping for a pulled pork sammie.

Thanks all! :-D

I was hesitant as well, but I love it now.

I make mine with a cup of mayo, a 1/4 cup of sugar, and a 1/4 of apple cider vinegar. Add shredded cabbage/carrots until you get the consistency you like. Sometimes I back off on the sugar a bit.

It's a North Carolina thing. PP tastes just as good (read better) without the cabbage on top. Makle your sammies however you like. AFAIC there's not right or wrong when it comes to PP.

Sweet creamy slaw on PP... Is there another way to eat PP sammies? PP+ Keith's world famous finishing sauce(it should be):wink: + creamy slaw = Goodness

Last edited:
If you order a BBQ sandwich down here in NC, you will get chopped pork with slaw on it. "Eastern Carolina style" is creamy while "Lexington style" is a bit spicy with BBQ sauce in the cabbage. Occasionally, you can find a yellow slaw that has mustard in it.

I make a ripoff KFC brand of coleslaw for the most part. Has my own twists in it, but it's basically a creamy slaw with finely chopped cabbage. I also LOVE carrots in my slaw, a lot of carrots in comparison to what most people put in theirs. I find the sweet, creamy slaw compliments the tangy mustard finishing sauce I use for pulled pork.

I'm the only one in my family that eats it this way though. Coleslaw and pickles. The rest of my boys, along with my wife, only do pickles.

Get the all ready shreaded slaw mix (saves time that way and just as good) Mayo,S&P, Sugar. I like a little celery salt too but not mandatory. Vinegar is fine but I leave it out because the bbq sauce I use is a vinegar based one so no need for more twang. Taste and adjust til you get it right. After you try it you'll probably never eat another pp sammie with out it!

FINELY shredded cabbage, grated carrot with the juice squeezed out, super thin julienned red onion, poppy seed vinigarette, a splash of cider vinegar and a scoop of sour cream. Mix it together and keep it on the saucy side. Good on any Sammich, especially pulled pork!

I make mine with a cup of mayo, a 1/4 cup of sugar, and a 1/4 of apple cider vinegar. Add shredded cabbage/carrots until you get the consistency you like. Sometimes I back off on the sugar a bit.

I like this. A lot of ingredients can be good, but all you need for creamy slaw dressing is mayo, sweetener and acid. [although mikeleonard81 is even more minimalist, considering vinegar optional...]

Ironically, I just recently learned the delights of bbq sandwiches without slaw. I did put a light (for me) slather of mayo with Splenda and cream of tartar sprinkled on, however--but with less of the acid and sweetener than I would put in a cole slaw dressing. Just had a hunch that the slather by itself would be good flavored just that way, and it really was. In the future I plan to enjoy alternating between this approach and the slaw topping.

1 head cabbage
1/2 c milk
1/2 c mayo
1/2 c sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
splash of white vinegar
s+p

Cabbage fine chop, mix milk, mayo, sugar then add lemon and vinegar. Make dressing then pour over cabbage, let sit at least 4 hours, better the next day.

I grew up in Pittsburgh so the Primanti Bros sandwich (slaw and fries on the sandwich) got me hooked on slaw on a sandwich. When I started working in Carolina, it was a pretty easy move to putting it on pulled pork. The difference with the Primanti is that it is a vinegar slaw, not a mayo slaw so that is what I prefer on sandwiches. My other "slaw" favorite is Slawsa. I use that stuff with everything (normally on the side though).

Add a pinch of salt, black pepper and celery seed and you have my slaw. I make the amount you do, and it works out about right for one of those bags of pre-chopped/un-dressed slaw.

I don't sauce my PP, so the 'sauce' on the slaw kind of does double duty as an eastern N.C. sauce. Plus the slaw gives that crunch that just completes the package.

If you're like me, kinda lazy sometimes, get the pre shredded slaw mix and a bottle of Marzetti slaw sauce, original not the mustard, and you're good to go.
This is a sauce that no one believes came pre-made.
It's in the refrigerated area as it has no preservatives.

Oh yeah, slaw on PP is the BOMB!!!!!!!!

Back