Best Way to Cook Ribs to Go?

A

aurorajp

It's my father-in-law's birthday this weekend and each family is cooking a slab or two of ribs for the party. I won't have 5-6 hours of exclusive use of his grill, so I had planned to cook mine ahead of time and finish them off there.

I smoke baby backs at home using 2-2-1 method crutching during the second 2 hours. My thought was to do the first 4 hours at home and then finish them off at their house. There would be probably a 1 to 1.5 hour window between the 2 hour foil stage at home and the finishing stage there.

Is my best bet to cook for the first 4 hours at home and then finish them for the last hour there? What's the best way to store them during that time. If I refrigerate them it's going to take a much higher temp to finish them off at their house. Is there another way to do this better?

Thanks in advance.
John

I'd do a 2-1(1.5 break)-1. It'll still be cooking quite a bit during the drive if they're still wrapped. Open the foil when you arrive and see how much they need. You may keep them in the foil for a bit more but I'd wager they'll be ready for the last unfoiled bit. Good luck.

I have had good luck cooking ribs fully a head of time, holding them in foil in a cooler with towels. When it's time to eat, I put them on a hot grill for a few minutes. I like the grill marks and a little carmelization of the sauce. If you want more traditional ribs, I would go with a little lower heat, maybe indirect, for a longer time. I don't think partially cooking them, holding and then finishing cooking would work well.

How far away is your dad's? I cook mine 3-1-1 (3 hours unwrapped on pit, 1 hour wrapped on pit - this depends on bone pull back so may vary a little, 1 hour re-wrapped in warm box with towels) lets me travel and usually they are pretty spot on. I cook at 275.

Back