MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

Default Differences in Old vs. New Char-Griller Kamado Kookers

I was at Lowes today looking at the Char-griller Kamado Kooker. I understand that the newer production models are preferable over the older ones. How do you tell the newer models from the older ones? I thought I read that the original ones had a silver daisy wheel top, but the newer ones have a black daisy wheel top. I also thought I read that the newer models no longer had the logo on the centerpiece of the grate. The one I looked at today had a black top but also the logo on the center piece. Would appreciate help in sorting this out. Needless to say I am confused.

Also, is there any difference in the King Griller from the other Char-griller kamados?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
AugustusRooster
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Bennie, the CharGriller KingGriller/KamadoKooker/BigRed/Akorn/whatever the hell else it's been called is a fine rig and an outstanding value at $300. But your question points out the fact that they've done a turrible job of building any sort of brand awareness. Each distribution channel seems to have it's own name, branding, and features. And these seem to change from year to year.

The early models did have a silver top which was reported to be flimsy. My 2012 Lowe's model (Akorn) has the heavier black top vent. I think it's safe to assume that (at least thru the big retailers) the silver tops have worked their way through the system and won't be in stock this year.

I'm not sure about the center grate insert. The 2012 Akorn had the logo. I have seen pictures of no-logo inserts, but I'm not sure which model has them. Frankly I don't see the need for any type of removable insert but all models seem to have them.

Another twist: I've read that the current models have some sort of factory-applied sealant around the bottom air intake. Now this could be a good thing (no user mod necessary) or bad (one more user mod to remove half-assedly applied factory sealant).

Bottom line is you will have to do a little legwork to get the combination of features you want (metal vs. wood shelves is another variation). You may want to head over to John Setzler's kamadoguru site. They have a pretty active community dedicated to this cooker. Don't get discouraged though. As I said, this cooker is a tremendous value at $300. Good luck!
AugustusRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Possible and maybe even probable that the Lowes you visited just had an older (year or two) model and never put a new one out.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
smokinrack
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
The early models did have a silver top which was reported to be flimsy. My 2012 Lowe's model (Akorn) has the heavier black top vent. I think it's safe to assume that (at least thru the big retailers) the silver tops have worked their way through the system and won't be in stock this year.
Not quite true, I bought mine 2 months ago at Menards and they had one newer model and a stack of old ones on sale.Good news is you can tell by the picture on the box which one you are getting, they will show either silver or black on the top vent.

Quote:
Another twist: I've read that the current models have some sort of factory-applied sealant around the bottom air intake. Now this could be a good thing (no user mod necessary) or bad (one more user mod to remove half-assedly applied factory sealant).
True, mine had it and I did the mod with the BGE felt anyway, mostly ust to tighten the slide up, when I took it off I didnt know there was sealant behind it.IMO it was a half ass seal at best, very thin line and seemed to be missing in spots.Not saying the mod was entirely neccassary I just found the slide to be pretty sloppy without it.
smokinrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Teltum

I just bought my new CGK about 2 weeks ago after a month of research. I bought it from my local Lowes at 299 with the black top and removable center grate. I had an oven seal around the ash pan. I do not think the new ones fixed the seal around the lower vent holes because mine when I shut down for a hot cook will vent smoke out the lower vent. Still a very very simple mod to do if it is not fixed on yours.
Teltum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Teltum

Oh yeah mine says char griller and akorn on the lid. I hear that is how you can tell the 2013s apart.
Teltum is offline   Reply With Quote