MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

Default Adventures with the HD, and NSF Cookers

Well, thanks to many of for all the support, questions answered, and ideas challenged.

In all scenarios below, I would be prepping all sides at the kitchen, and cooking the meats on-site.
It may also help if I clarify that Minneapolis is within Hennepin county, but they are under their own jurisdiction regarding HD stuff. Very similar to Hennepin county, but different.
I have found out, in Minneapolis, I will need an NSF smoker to cook at parties, private or public. Minneapolis is where my kitchen will be licensed.
If I cook for a party outside of Minneapolis, but still in Hennepin county, Hennepin county HD could care less about NSF as long as it's a private party.
So here is what I need to figure out:
1. Bite the bullet, and pay for the NSF trailer cooker now - more expensive, but legal no matter where I cook.
2. Buy a good trailer smoker (non-NSF) - cheaper now, but can't cook in Minneapolis.

Note: The majority of my clients come from the surrounding suburbs of Minneapolis.

So I just wanted to hear some thoughts from the Veteran caterers.

Also, who has the best NSF trailer smoker? Would love an Ole Hickory, but not so mobile. I was looking at the Southern Pride 300 mobile. Anyone have the 300?

Last edited by Smoke House Moe; 01-28-2013 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Clear up future confusion.
Smoke House Moe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
themidniteryder
Knows what a fatty is.

I would bite the bullet and get the approved trailer. My reasoning is you don't want to turn down a potential client because your rig is not HD approved. This may lead them to question your business as a whole. Even in ares it is not required, having HD approved equipment will set the customers mind at ease a little more I think. When I go rattling off the list of lawn equipment companies I am a "Factory Authorized Service Center" for it impresses the customer. doesn't mean I am a better mechanic because of it, but in their mind it makes me more professional and qualified.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

SHM,

My upright cabinet smoker may be for sale in march. It's NSF rated and will pass HD in MN just fine. Waiting to see if my buddy sells me his Southern Pride from KS.

Tags
catering, health department, Minnesota