Using Pellts for flavor wood??

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
Anyone tried using pellets for flavor???

If pellets can be used, it would be a very cost effective way to get flavors that are not available regionaly.
Also very easy to store--just bag'em in ZipLocks and they should last about forever.
I am working with Cherry, Peach, and Apple for now.
These are 100% flavor wood pellets--not "blended" with a heat wood.

I have used them in the grill--both gas and charcoal--good to excellent results :lol:

However, in the WSM I have gotten mixed quality.
Best results were with the pellets laid directly into the charcoal/coal bed.
It seems that using foil packets or metal trays, the smoke is "skanky". More of a stale smoke flavor. Meat results vary, but tend to be "oversmoked" and bitter. And this is with as little as 1/2 cup of pellets.
Not saying that they are oversmoked--just that bitter taste :twisted:

I am guessing, for now, that pellets need the higher heat of grilling or an offset cooker to burn cleanly. It seems that in the WSM, they do more of a "cold smolder".
Even on the grill, they do not ignite, but they do cook down a lot more and seem to smolder a lot "cleaner".

Love it when it works!

Anyone else tried them in a WSM or offset??

TIM

Tim said:
It seems that using foil packets or metal trays, the smoke is "skanky". More of a stale smoke flavor. Meat results vary, but tend to be "oversmoked" and bitter. And this is with as little as 1/2 cup of pellets.

I think what is happenning is the wood is primarily "distilled" rahter than "burned" when you encase in some sort of heated metal container. The distillation process drives off the volatile chemicals (into your food) rahter than incenerating them (which converts them to simpler elements like carbon.

Whatcha think? Does this make sense?

Re: RE: Using Pellts for flavor wood??

Mark said:
Tim said:

I think what is happenning is the wood is primarily "distilled" rahter than "burned" when you encase in some sort of heated metal container. The distillation process drives off the volatile chemicals (into your food) rahter than incenerating them (which converts them to simpler elements like carbon.

Whatcha think? Does this make sense?
How's that for an "Alton Brown" answer :lol: :lol:
Bet you are right!
Consistant with my observation about the lower heat being used.
That may be why they work on the grill, not so well on the WSM.

Need to run a load in the Dera (much hotter).

Thanks,

TIM

Back