RF Smoker Build Questions

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am picking up a section of 20"x42"x1/4" pipe on Friday. I will be making a RF smoker. Based on the calculation spreadsheet, my firebox will be 17" cubed. I have a few questions:

1. How far from the end (opposite the firebox) should the diffuser plate extend?

2. How do you calculate the door size?

3. What is best to use to cut the door opening? I have a plasma cutter and angle grinders. It would seem that cutting the door with an angle grinder would produce the straightest cuts.

here's my 2cents if I understand your questions...

1. the plate should extend to the opposite end of the firebox so that it catches drips,most extend past the drip point a few inches. The opening on that side should atleast be the same size as the firebox opening into the pit, often bigger. does that make sense?

2. Door size is your call, just remember, the bigger the door, the more heavier it will be. I like to use as much area inside the pit as I can so I like big doors.

3.I find that with 1/4in. the angle grinder works best. buy the best blades you can(i like dewalt's), and make sure your a/grinder is atleast 10amp, trust me on this one.

just re-read your post, if your comfortable with a plasma use it. My hand is just better with an angle for some reason...

I would use the plasma. You can use some flat bar or even some straight wood clamped to the tube for a straight edge guide and drag the plasma torch across the guide for straight cuts.

I would use a plasma if your steady which I am been a welder/fabricator for 33years. I personally would not use a grinder, If I was going that route i would use a metabo that is exactly what it is made for. It leaves a very small kerf. Cut where your hinges go first then weld them on and then proceed.

Instead of welding up a cube and cutting the door out, why don't you leave the end open that would have the door, weld some angle on the inside of the box all the way round and use the entire side as the door? I'm sure you could fabricate a handle/closing mechanism that would latch behind the angle iron.

Instead of welding up a cube and cutting the door out, why don't you leave the end open that would have the door, weld some angle on the inside of the box all the way round and use the entire side as the door? I'm sure you could fabricate a handle/closing mechanism that would latch behind the angle iron.

That technique works well on the Klose pit... the full side is the door (not cut-out).

Lang does have the cut-outs...

Back