MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
DLR
Full Fledged Farker

Default Hopefully the last what to use in the pan question

Okay I know I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but now I think I'm just obsessed with it or just being anal but here it goes.
I know water is the best thing for the pan and some do other things like the clay saucer,sand and just foiled. The clay saucer and just foil people say to make an air pocket under the pot or foil. I'm pretty sure the only reason for this is to keep the drippings from burning as they drip or is there more to the air pocket? The reason I ask is I'm considering taking 2 round pieces of sheet metal say maybe 1/8" thick or a little thinner, one 15.5" and the other 17.5" and placing them in the pan so it creates 2 air pockets. Of course they would be wrapped in foil, does this sound like disaster in the making or does it sound like something that could possibly work as a heat shield and diffuser? Currently I'm using sand but do not care much for it. Like I said if this doesn't sound like it'll work I still have water to fall back on and no more what to use in the pan questions. Thanks for being patient ya'll

Old 09-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bro, all I use is a clay tray wrapped in foil. I'm convinced that you don't need water in a water pan in a UDS. However, if you don't want the drippings to burn, sand and water are probably the best bet.

I'm interested in hearing how well your idea solves the problem. It just may be a good solution. Please try it and let us know how it works out. Otherwise, I vote for a foil wrapped clay tray.

BTW - you may need a drip pan on top to prevent the dripping from running into your fire.

And, NEVER feel bad about asking a question here. We really are BBQ brethren (most of us anyway). We all help each other out.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Your idea should work well. It is very similar to the piedmont pan concept which uses two brinkmann water pans spaced an inch apart.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Your idea should work well. It is very similar to the piedmont pan concept which uses two brinkmann water pans spaced an inch apart.
Ah, I forgot about that. That's right! In fact, back when I was serious about getting a bullet I bought two Brinkman pans just for that purpose. But, I never got the bullet. I built a UDS instead.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Ah, I forgot about that. That's right! In fact, back when I was serious about getting a bullet I bought two Brinkman pans just for that purpose. But, I never got the bullet. I built a UDS instead.
I bought two myself, but tried the sand and liked it. Never looked back.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
brewerjamie15
Full Fledged Farker

I just use a fire brick wrapped in foil. Works great.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
NorthwestBBQ

I use water in my water pan in my water smoker.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post

That figures.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
That figures.
I'm a rebel!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Boshizzle

Quote:
I'm a rebel!
I've had enough of you young people!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
brewerjamie15
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

you are like a BBQ gangster. Hardcore.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm not going to use sand unless I buy some beach front property.
Guess I won't be using sand.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

If you can think outside the box, I will too. Why not try a couple of different sized clay pot bases? I got a 12" one from Home Depot that I use sometime for really cheap in my 18.5". Maybe that would be large enough toward the bottom of your pan and then a 14" one above that? You'd have a LOT more of a heat sink than with just sheet metal.

I still use water in my water smoker too, though, at least most of the time. I find that there's no reason to fill the pan up unless doing butts or briskets (at least the newer big pans or the Brinkman pan). I find that less water certainly makes 250-275* more doable.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
swamprb

I've used sand, foil balls, claypot base, lava rocks, ceramic briqs, aluminum pizza pans, cheap pizza stones and now I just foil over the pan and fashion a drip pan with foil and toss it when I'm done cooking. They all work, so I see no reason the setup you have planned won't either.

Yes you are being anal about it, but you'll have to find out for yourself, then someday down the road, you'll get an off taste from the burning grease that will inevitably get between the heat sinks, because you got lazy about changing the foil and you might just think back to the day that you posted this thread and say to yourself, "I wish I would have listened to that anal retentive farker swamprb and just foiled over the farkin' pan in the first place". Been there and tried that.

I assume you are planning this for the 22.5" WSM in your signature? The big bullet is a rock solid 250* cooker with or without water in the pan.

Just sayin'
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote