Have You Ever Considered Entering a BBQ Brethren Throwdown? Here's an EXCELLENT Chance!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
It was brought to our attention some time ago that some people had either never heard of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown contests, or simply felt a little intimidated for whatever reason.

Our solution to that was to do a "Virgin, Rookie, Amateur, FNG" Throwdown where anyone who had only participated in 3 Throwdowns or less could enter. This eliminated any fears brought on about stiff competition from veterans because they could not participate.

What people found who entered that Throwdown was that these veterans were actually very nice and helpful, and provided many tips and answered lots of questions to help people make the best entries they could. A number of those who first entered at that Throwdown are now regulars in the Throwdowns themselves and can speak first hand about both sides of the equation.

I am happy to announce that beginning this Friday 8/5 and running through Sunday 8/14 we are having another "Virgin, Rookie, Amateur, FNG" Throwdown to try and attract newcomers.

If you have never entered a Throwdown before, or have only entered 3 or fewer in the past (just ask and I will let you know), then PLEASE feel free to enter.

These contests are more about fun and sharing food than it is about competition, and taking that first leap of faith is what it takes usually to get people hooked.

The BBQ Brethren Throwdowns have their own subforum under Q-Talk at the following link:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86

The "Virgin, Rookie, Amateur, FNG" Throwdown can be found at this link:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112600

Again, please participate if you have not done so before. You could very well find yourself having fun and entering on a regular basis!:thumb:

Any questions, please feel free to ask here, or over at the Throwdown forum/threads. I hope to see you there!:cool:

And, if you enter now, you can get two Ronco BBQ-matics for the low-low price of just $19.99!

Okay, seriously, as the latest regular throwdown loser to actually win a throwdown, which may never happen again, I can honestly say, go ahead and enter. It really is a lot of fun, and you will quickly become friends with bigabyte, which means you can make fun of him, and rub his nose in his record of something like 600 entries, and no wins. That alone is worth it, for most throwdown participants.

The worst thing that can happen is you eat a really good meal. How bad can that be.

And, win or lose, when you enter throwdowns on a regular basis, you become part of a group of really good people, as long as we stay on our meds. And, even if we go off of our meds, you are okay, as long as you don't use your real name.

CD

CB, I considered it once and got beat out by a marshmallow on a stick.

It's true!:becky: I've never won. But I love the Throwdowns so much, and have so much fun that I not only still participate, but I took over the moderation of the Throwdowns from their original creator JD Mcgee!:thumb:

When he stepped down, I couldn't bear the thought of such a fun thing going away because I felt that not only had my cooking presentation improved, but my photography skills improved too. My early photos were much worse than the photos I take now (as hard as that is to believe):laugh:

You too will find some benefit from it, I'm sure.:thumb:

Like NorthwestBBQ alluded to, you can never be sure if you will win or not. You may think you made the best entry and lose, or you may think your entry was not very special but the voters disagreed. We can be both our own harshest critics, and can also sometimes think too highly of ourselves just the same. In the end it's the voters that decide, and the votes are public so as to avoid any popularity contests.

No matter what happens though, you will have made a dish you had fun creating, and most likely really enjoyed eating. You may have stepped a bit out of your comfort zone and unwittingly made yourself a better cook than you were before. In my mind, the best thing of all are the friends you make there. In my opinion, the chance of winning is just gravy really.

I heard it was a popularity contest and there was bias against Pacific Northwest Farkers.

CB, I considered it once and got beat out by a marshmallow on a stick.

Bigabyte has been beaten by far worse than that. Guerry got a zero for a ribeye steak, and landarc got five points for tofu. Where is the universal justice in that?

It's all about the fun, baby, or I would have quit after the first half-dozen losses. :-D

CD

As for any rumors of a bias towards the Pacific Northwest (there isn't...at least yet:becky:), let's not forget that these contests were created by someone in the Pacific Northwest, and he is also among the winners in the "Hall of Flame".:thumb:

I heard it was a popularity contest and there was bias against Pacific Northwest Farkers.

Very true, I posted this:

attachment.php

and got beat by this:

125609-004-3191CD28.jpg

No, Guerry got beaten by entering a ground up murdered rib-eye mess. I entered, in a completely different throw down a masterfully crafted tofu dish. I also got a zero for a perfect gorgeous naked fattie. However, I was rewarded with being the inspiration, and I like to think, the first zero, in the Zero Club

Very true, I posted this:

attachment.php

and got beat by this:

125609-004-3191CD28.jpg
I'm rolling on the floor I'm laughing so hard!:rofl:

If only!:becky:

Seriously though, for anyone new to the Throwdowns, that marshmallow is not a winning entry!:loco:

But many who participate tend to have a warped sense of humor and love to lovingly rib each other a bit. So I'm sure NorthwestBBQ really does feel like he lost by that margin and is just now finally speaking out about this injustice!:becky:

I'm rolling on the floor I'm laughing so hard!:rofl:

If only!:becky:

Seriously though, for anyone new to the Throwdowns, that marshmallow is not a winning entry!:loco:

But many who participate tend to have a warped sense of humor and love to lovingly rib each other a bit. So I'm sure NorthwestBBQ really does feel like he lost by that margin and is just now finally speaking out about this injustice!:becky:

Yes I am, and he got more votes than me.

Heck, it may have received more votes than the sum of all of my votes from all of my entries!:shock: And I'm not even from the Pacific Northwest!:confused:

It's gotta be a conspiracy!
tin+foil+hat+smiley.gif

Heck, it may have received more votes than the sum of all of my votes from all of my entries!:shock: And I'm not even from the Pacific Northwest!:confused:

It's gotta be a conspiracy!
tin+foil+hat+smiley.gif

I think you would love the PNW.

No he wouldn't, Chris can't cross the Sierra Nevadas, it is the line the keeps him from having to deal with all the tree-huggin left-wing-totin, burning wood is mrudering, eating meat is immoral, tofu cooking, soy licking, sauce is BBQ, wahle hugging turtle-eating stripper loving gun-totin...wait, I am off track here I think...what was I saying?

You know what "outsiders" say about Seattleites ?

"They are the nicest people, you'll never get to know"

So go to Oregon!

just giving this a bump to make sure the new folks know about the Throw Down Special

Back