Taste category

B

Buster Dog BBQ

This weekend we had a few categories where we had 7's in taste but all 8 and 9's in tenderness. Taste to me seems pretty wide open. Could be the sauce, the rub, or both. I wouldnt think it would be dry or the tenderness would be lower.

Based on experiences, I am looking for input on what to change first.

My first reaction was probably the sauce.. but I think more info is needed as it would be just a guess.

Are you using commerical or homemade rub/sauce - or a combo ?

What do you like / don't like about the rubs/sauces ?

Do you use the same rub/sauces on multiple categories ?

How would you classify you application of the rub & sauce ? - light, medium or heavy ?

What cooker are you using at the contest ? what type of wood(s) ?

My first reaction was probably the sauce.. but I think more info is needed as it would be just a guess.

Are you using commerical or homemade rub/sauce - or a combo ?

What do you like / don't like about the rubs/sauces ?

Do you use the same rub/sauces on multiple categories ?

How would you classify you application of the rub & sauce ? - light, medium or heavy ?

What cooker are you using at the contest ? what type of wood(s) ?
For chicken I used 50/50 ten red and bh for sauce. cimarron docs and slabs chicken for rub. fec100 and bge to cook and it was almost the same on both ends for taste.

Was it just this weekend you experienced this, or has taste been consistently lower than tenderness all season?

Was it just this weekend you experienced this, or has taste been consistently lower than tenderness all season?
It was only my second KCBS chicken of the season so it is hard to pinpoint the contest or something else. Given the way we faired (worst contest in 3 years) who knows. We were all 8's on taste the contest before and all 8's on tenderness. Seasoned this pretty close to the same as what I recall we did previously.

do you brine, marinate or inject the chicken ?

something to consider if you don't... may make the difference if it compliments your rub/sauces.

Back