a couple of days ago there was a weber rancher on cl in the sf bay area for 65.00 . it didn't stay on for very long.

Found both of my red Weber kettles this past summer on Craigslist. The 18.5" one is in mint condition and has never been used. It still had the purchase receipt in it dated 20 Aug 75 when I bought it. It also came with one of those electric charcoal igniters and a groovy 70's style flowery cover.

dsc05736fw7.jpg

dsc06116tj2.jpg

dsc06117vu9.jpg

receipt dated Aug 20th 1975
dsc06115zr7.jpg

John

Nice ones Eaton, just goes to show that the Weber Kettles are the best charcoal grills every made. 20+ years old and they are still shiny as new! Though I'm sure they've had good upkeep :wink:

I have a lot of smokers, but I have to admit that I can smoke the Badest Rack of Ribs ever on my Weber!!!
And that ain't no Chit.

I made a couple of mods to one of my ol weber kettles. The damper blades got bent when I tryed to make it digest some lump and wouldnt choke the fire completly so I welded a ring to the damper blades.
unknown073.jpg

The stock fire grate let to much charcoal fall through so I covered it with a piece of 3/4x9 expanded.

unknown384.jpg

Made a ring to hold some charcoal for low-n-slo. Along with some 6" pieces to allow more air under the charcoal and help let the ashes fall through.

unknown389.jpg

A new cooking grate.
unknown390.jpg

I'm to cheap to buy a performer so I emprovised. I also made a tool to scrape the grease and stuff with, an old hoe that I ground to the same radius as the kettle and a log / charcoal lighter. I stick the log lighter into the air supply on my bbq to get it started also.
unknown013.jpg

Its all tuned up now and I can get well over 12 hours cook time from 1 load of charcoal at 225*. Figured I might as well have a snack while I waited for it to burn out.

unknown060.jpg

A butt I cooked about 6 months ago on another kettle.
mybutt035.jpg

OK, one more question about the charcoal ring, do you have it set up in some way that it snakes around in only one direction, or does it burn around both sides until it reaches the opposite side and burns out?

I made a couple of mods to one of my ol weber kettles. The damper blades got bent when I tryed to make it digest some lump and wouldnt choke the fire completly so I welded a ring to the damper blades.
unknown073.jpg

The stock fire grate let to much charcoal fall through so I covered it with a piece of 3/4x9 expanded.

unknown384.jpg

Made a ring to hold some charcoal for low-n-slo. Along with some 6" pieces to allow more air under the charcoal and help let the ashes fall through.

unknown389.jpg

A new cooking grate.
unknown390.jpg

I'm to cheap to buy a performer so I emprovised. I also made a tool to scrape the grease and stuff with, an old hoe that I ground to the same radius as the kettle and a log / charcoal lighter. I stick the log lighter into the air supply on my bbq to get it started also.
unknown013.jpg

Its all tuned up now and I can get well over 12 hours cook time from 1 load of charcoal at 225*. Figured I might as well have a snack while I waited for it to burn out.

unknown060.jpg

A butt I cooked about 6 months ago on another kettle.
mybutt035.jpg

Love this! Is the 6" expando on the inside around the edges just to hold the fuel? What is the diameter of your charcoal ring?

Don't tell the drumheads but with something like this I might be able to nix the UDS...not that I'm looking for a reason to do that but if you can easily get 12 hours at 225* .

OK, one more question about the charcoal ring, do you have it set up in some way that it snakes around in only one direction, or does it burn around both sides until it reaches the opposite side and burns out?

I start the fire so it only goes one direction generaly. I just leave a space between the begining and the end, about 2". If the fire jumps to the other end I just get my tongs and move the hot coals to the other side,but its not usualy a problem because the one touch gives outstanding controll.

If I want to fast track and cook at 300* or so I will light both ends because it tends to overheat the meat on one side if I dont.

The pic with the fattys was from before I started using the 6" pieces around the outside and the charcoal would not burn thoroghly every time. With them in there occasionaly there will be a filbert sized chunk of lump charcoal or wood that dident burn all the way.

If I am in a hurry I light about 1/3 of a weber chimney of charcoal and dump it in then add the rest of the charcoal + chunks.

Love this! Is the 6" expando on the inside around the edges just to hold the fuel? What is the diameter of your charcoal ring?

Don't tell the drumheads but with something like this I might be able to nix the UDS...not that I'm looking for a reason to do that but if you can easily get 12 hours at 225* .

I think to make it work on the UDS youll need to make a basket shaped like a doenut with the hole in the middle about 6" wide, and the about 10+ inches tall. Youll need about 1/2 - 3/4" space all the way around between the barrel and the basket I assume. To get an efficient burn.

On Bbq Bubba's basket, over at TQJ, his basket is 8" tall and about 19" wide. You would need to make up for the volume lost in the center of the doenut to get the burn time you would from a traditional style basket by making the doenut, or whatever you want to call it, taller.

On edit:Bubba's ring cant be 19" it is a 8" X 48" piece overlaped about 1-1/2 - 2". My ring is 14".

Hey y'all. My first post. I started with a Smokey Joe over 20 years ago. Great little grill. After the legs rusted off a friend took it and fabricated new legs and kept it smokin'. Later I got a 22.5 which served me well for years. I had to leave it in New Mexico cuz it wouldn't fit in the trailer when I moved back to TX. :frown: I will have another one! I have a new Smokey Joe which works fine for the wife and I, but too small for entertaining. I've been using a cheap Uniflame kettle for now, but it's not the same. Definitely not built to last like a Weber.

Glad to be here. Lots of great info. Watch for my post in a few days about my rescue of a NB offset smoker. Needs work but the firebox and cooking chamber are still intact.

I think to make it work on the UDS youll need to make a basket shaped like a doenut with the hole in the middle about 6" wide, and the about 10+ inches tall. Youll need about 1/2 - 3/4" space all the way around between the barrel and the basket I assume. To get an efficient burn.

On Bbq Bubba's basket, over at TQJ, his basket is 8" tall and about 19" wide. You would need to make up for the volume lost in the center of the doenut to get the burn time you would from a traditional style basket by making the doenut, or whatever you want to call it, taller.

On edit:Bubba's ring cant be 19" it is a 8" X 48" piece overlaped about 1-1/2 - 2". My ring is 14".

This is good...thanks. Actually not thinking of doing this with UDS but I also have a Weber 22.5 that i was considering this for.

Ive got a couple of One Touch Basins sitting around from UDS Donor jobs... I am wondering how hard it would be to get the parts to make them One Touch Gold.. Ive never seen those parts at Homer Depot or any other place that stocks a lot of Weber parts... Is this worth my time or should I go grab a cute little Corona bucket for an ash catcher and call it a done deal?

I see the parts listed on Weber's page, but they also go by year... is there a difference in OT Basins by year?

Back