Time to make some sausage!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Just got this in the mail today, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty excited.

Anyone have this book? Any recipes I just gotta try?

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Here are the cliffs notes for the honey bacon.

Attachments

• Bacon1 (8).jpg
    Bacon1 (8).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 504
I consider that book, The "Bible" of sausage making, great kielbasi recipe in there.

Ha ha ha. I can only imagine. Just reading the first few chapters, he sounds a little like a grumpy Old man who tends to ramble a lot. 3 pages about a poorly publicized nitrite study and how mad he is at the press and MIT about it. I can only imagine his screen presence. I finally just skipped that and the chapter on FDA regulations regarding PPM of nitrates. I really want to know all about the science and how this stuff works,but holy cow this guy is thorough.

I've had that book for years, there are some really great recipes in there for sure.
Not really sure there's one that stands out in my mind though......well there's a lot of room up there for standing :laugh:

Not heard of that book before! I plan on making some sausage at the weekend, in future any recipe I use I'm going to put into a spreadsheet to save getting out the calculator and working out the amount of seasonings to use. Because I never use the exact amount of meat the recipes call for. If anyone's interested, here's one I made earlier for boerewors - http://www.filedropper.com/boerewors - just type in meat weight and everything's worked out for you :thumb:

I know I'm the same way... I may start with someone's recipe, but by the time I've made it a few times its miles from where I started. I love the spreadsheet idea. I have a huge three ring binder full of sheets I've printed off the internet that all have hand scribbled notes written all over the margins, and then crossed out and new changes added. Its getting damn hard to figure out what to follow anymore..

I'm just getting into curing more complex meats (I've done ham, bacon, and Canadian bacon along with some other simple brines) and I got this book hoping to learn more about the general processes and science behind how it all works.

I'll have to keep this in mind. I think I would enjoy making sausage. :-D

If anyone making sausage happens to need a taste tester, I am always available to help a friend out :hungry:

Back