MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #46
Guando
Full Fledged Farker

I love that rig. It just screams cool. Enjoy!
Guando is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #47
unixadm
Take a breath!

I decided to cook up a choice filet mignon. It was a little sucker but I only bought it to test. I did not use the GrillGrates because I currently have a minor fitment issue that I'm working with Yoder on.

I marinated it for about 30 minutes in some teriyaki sauce with fresh ground pepper, sea salt, worcester sauce and Cavender's Greek Seasoning. I smoked it at 200 degrees for about 30 minutes and then direct grilled to my desired medium doneness. Oh my goodness. Tender, moist and full of flavor.

I opened the door on the HMS and grilled on the expanded metal. You cannot expect good grill marks, but the flavor was there. One of the best fillets I've ever cooked and ever ate for that matter. I want another one! haha.

unixadm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #48
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Use that same method to reverse sear a tri-tip.

That looks good. There is a different tenderness and juiciness to a steak on a pellet cooker. Good stuff.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #49
unixadm
Take a breath!

It was tasty. I thought about it all day! :)

I ordered up a cover for the YS1500 so I'm going to test fit it when I get home. Not sure if it's going to work, but if it does then I'll post up some pics. For those with fixed stacks, it won't really work so I'm probably on my own on this one.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #50
unixadm
Take a breath!

The Patio Armor grill cover I ordered from Amazon arrived. I bought the biggest one they offer and it fits pretty well. It's not a very high end cover, but it will do the job for the time being.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #51
DENALI
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
The Patio Armor grill cover I ordered from Amazon arrived. I bought the biggest one they offer and it fits pretty well. It's not a very high end cover, but it will do the job for the time being.

That cover looks like it will work well enough. Any word from yoder if/when they will have a custom cover for it?

Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #52
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENALI View Post
That cover looks like it will work well enough. Any word from yoder if/when they will have a custom cover for it?
They didn't really give me any details when I asked. Since the stack isn't removable by default, it could make a cover a little more tricky to get on. That may be their thought process since many offsets don't offer a custom cover.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #53
unixadm
Take a breath!

Cheesesteak time. I love cheesesteaks and this is something pretty easy for me to prepare. Tonight I was doing a light Teriyaki version.
  • Small choice ribeye steak, sliced up thin with most of the fat removed.
  • Kikkoman teriyaki marinade
  • Cavender's Greek seasoning, season to your liking but it is a bit salty so use caution
  • Fresh ground pepper, light sprinkle of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
  • 2 slices of provolone
  • Chopped sweet onion

I put my stainless griddle in the YS1500, set the temp at 350 degrees and opened the HMS all the way. I sautéed the onions with a dash of pepper and EVO. Once they were becoming tender, I tossed on the sliced ribeye which had been marinating for about an hour.

Once the steak was cooked, I tossed on the provolone sliced, put the bun inside of the cooker and covered to melt the cheese. I then layer the bun on the meat, let it steam for a minute or so and then did "the flip". Next I ate and enjoyed this easy meal. Excuse the paper plate, I was eating outside.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #54
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

You had me at ribeye

Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #55
unixadm
Take a breath!

I decided today would be a good day to cook some ribs so that called for a 3-pack of Baby Backs from Costco. I coated with mustard and a moderate coating of Fast Eddy's rub along with some Turbinado sugar.

Into the YS1500 at 225 degrees. You'll notice in the pics that often the pit is holding a very similar temperature from top to bottom. I'm using the ET-733 with a probe on the bottom grate and another on the top grate. I will mist with apple juice every hour, wrap at the 3 hour mark for an hour, then out again ~75 minutes later with a light coat of sauce, a little more rub and some brown sugar. They will cook until probe tender.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #56
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

That thing is a beast, very nice!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #57
DENALI
Knows what a fatty is.

Thats just crazy how even that thing is temp wise. I really like my 640 but i cant wait to get a 1500!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #58
unixadm
Take a breath!

It's pretty even in the chamber but the controller does struggle a bit holding a consistent temperature.

Pics from time to wrap to done:

Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #59
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #60
Nugetsius
On the road to being a farker

Unixadm, how much did the temps fluctuate? Do you have any outside influences to attribute the temp fluctuations to? Like wind?

I'm asking because thats the first I've heard of this.........and I just ordered my ys1500 last week.

I have a ys640 and the only time the temps fluctuate on it was when I had a few steam pans in it and I always figured that the fluctuations were due to the blockage of air flow. When this happened, the display temp was always hotter than the actual temp by somewhere between 25 to 50 degrees
Nugetsius is offline   Reply With Quote