MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default pos vending system

Folks, any research on a pos system for on the road vending? With 110 power requirments which are not always reliable (inverter posible) however which ones will work with out the high cost of a restuarant system? I would like to find a 12 volt system ...but google search not many options..so pos with a card reader run through inverter / battery / charger seems the way, but any ideas??

Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
Folks, any research on a pos system for on the road vending? With 110 power requirments which are not always reliable (inverter posible) however which ones will work with out the high cost of a restuarant system? I would like to find a 12 volt system ...but google search not many options..so pos with a card reader run through inverter / battery / charger seems the way, but any ideas??
iPad with SquareUp?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

would ipod (I am not up to speed on gagets) work as a cash drawer and records of items sold / sales tax as a point of sale system? Sams club has a card reader like the square, but at the end of day need the z tape, so I want to update to a faster system...

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

NCR Silver or Lavu. The both are great for accounting.

You will still need power if you want a cash drawer or printer.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
NCR Silver or Lavu. The both are great for accounting.

You will still need power if you want a cash drawer or printer.
talking to them now!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
would ipod (I am not up to speed on gagets) work as a cash drawer and records of items sold / sales tax as a point of sale system? Sams club has a card reader like the square, but at the end of day need the z tape, so I want to update to a faster system...
Yes the iPad will act as a cash drawer. My friends used it last year at farmer's markets and vending at RAGBAI. You do have to set it up, but that is very easy. It will give you totals of what you sold that day by each item. They did have a problem at RAGBRAI with cell service. There were more than 30,000 people at this event.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Yes the iPad will act as a cash drawer. My friends used it last year at farmer's markets and vending at RAGBAI. You do have to set it up, but that is very easy. It will give you totals of what you sold that day by each item. They did have a problem at RAGBRAI with cell service. There were more than 30,000 people at this event.
I've served RAGBRAI the last three years, and this will be year four. It is a huge event. People are in a big hurry and the quicker you can move the line the better. Did they have any problem with the amount of time in using the Ipad as a cash drawer? Does it even take more time?

Thanks

Mark
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

The problem was keeping a connection. The info from sales was having a problem saving to where ever it goes. It worked well as a POS system. The were keeping up with me. Actually it probably took less time. You create a button for each item and the price automatically brings up the price. You don't have to have a price list in front of you or look up prices.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ

Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
little bit of r & r
Knows what a fatty is.

I have iPad with square and the cell card in the iPad never an issue love the app you can program the sales tax and everything like Pyle said you can take a pic with iPad and use the pic when omeone orders the item price already programmed I highly recommend it. The only downfall is printers
little bit of r & r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

doing bunch of research...for the price the ncr seems good...but using the cloud system..good ideas coming

Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default printer

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bit of r & r View Post
I have iPad with square and the cell card in the iPad never an issue love the app you can program the sales tax and everything like Pyle said you can take a pic with iPad and use the pic when omeone orders the item price already programmed I highly recommend it. The only downfall is printers
anyone have ideas on getting printer for this? simple sales tic?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bit of r & r View Post
Looking at the square site, there is a way to get a physical copy of a receipt. The other options are to send as a text or email.

Μολν λαβέ

Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.utouchpos.com/magento/ind.../special-price I have been talking to these people...software and or packages

Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Iso
Knows what a fatty is.

Anyone use the Intuit POS?
http://intuitpayments.com/POS
Uh no... Just saw the price... uh no.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #15
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

they want 1,000 plus..just for thier software....and really cumbersome