• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Using lump in offset smoker?

Atrawick

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am new to the smoking scene. I have a small Charbroil offset smoker. I want to try some lump charcoal today. The fire box is pretty small:sad: Is the Minion method the best way to light it?

You need to establish a good bed of coals.
You need to get the smoker up to cooking temp.
You can do that in the smoke box or a chimney.
Push the coals up against the main box and add new fuel against it. The fire burns towards the air intake.
This is banking the coals. Add new fuel as needed to maintain the temps.
Every smoker is different. I haven't cooked on yours. Practice is the key.
Hope this helps,
jon

I use lump in my offset most of the time. Make a basket that is raised off the bottom. If no basket make sure to use a grate on the bottom of the firebox.

I am new to the smoking scene. I have a small Charbroil offset smoker. I want to try some lump charcoal today. The fire box is pretty small:sad: Is the Minion method the best way to light it?
Get a WSM or a UDS asap. You will make fair food in what you are cooking on now but with headaches and a lot of babysitting. A WSM is almost dummy proof, and super efficient. Or if your are on a budget or a DIY type of guy make a UDS, very similar to a WSM but just uglier. I ran the same unit as you three years before I upgraded and after looking back I wish I would have a lot sooner.

Get a WSM or a UDS asap. You will make fair food in what you are cooking on now but with headaches and a lot of babysitting. A WSM is almost dummy proof, and super efficient. Or if your are on a budget or a DIY type of guy make a UDS, very similar to a WSM but just uglier. I ran the same unit as you three years before I upgraded and after looking back I wish I would have a lot sooner.

+1

I've spent a lot of time and money modding my COS trying to get it to cook evenly. All I ever did was fight it to keep even temps, and I had to constantly add more fuel for longer cooks.

Thanks for the replies! Didn't get to Q anything this weekend. Think I have the Flu! Dr. tomorrow.

It all depends on what you are comfortable doing. I love my chargriller w/sfb. I like sitting and paying attention to the cook. What is the purpose of "set it and forget it"? If you consider yourself a dummy to have to use a WSM, go for it. I make great food in my smoker.

It all depends on what you are comfortable doing. I love my chargriller w/sfb. I like sitting and paying attention to the cook. What is the purpose of "set it and forget it"? If you consider yourself a dummy to have to use a WSM, go for it. I make great food in my smoker.

Sorry was just giving my thoughts, guess I should just shut up and leave well enough alone.

Sorry was just giving my thoughts, guess I should just shut up and leave well enough alone.
No need to apologize. I was just trying to point out that there are many different ways to get to the end point.
Curly

No need for a basket or minion method. Those belong in vertical smokers like UDSs and WSMs. Your best option is to build a base of coals with charcoal and then add wood splits or chunks on top of it. Baskets full of charcoal in a tiny firebox choke the air flow through the cooker making it hard to keep temps up. Offsets are ALL about airflow. If you have bad airflow, you're gonna hate cooking on it.

I like Lump. It's what I feed my UDS.
I also use lump to start my wood fires in my Offset.
I put Lump between and on a couple of Splits of Oak or Pecan,
then add a chimney of burning coals on top. Soon I'm up to temp,
and waiting for the smoke color to change before putting on the meat.

I have a Char-griller pro w/ SFB and I used to use all lump. I would go through bags and bags of it just to try to keep her at 250. I did some basic mods to her and now do the bed of lump and feed her splits when she needs it,usually every 30 to 40 mins. She now has no problem getting as hot as I want her to and holds the temp much better.

I like Lump. It's what I feed my UDS.
I also use lump to start my wood fires in my Offset.
I put Lump between and on a couple of Splits of Oak or Pecan,
then add a chimney of burning coals on top. Soon I'm up to temp,
and waiting for the smoke color to change before putting on the meat.

Do you notice a influx of flies when you use pecan? A buddy gave me some pecan and I used it on top of the lump. I had my patio slider open and my house filled with flies attracted by the smoke. Gotta remember to close the slider from now on.

Back