MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
mn_big_dog
On the road to being a farker

Talking CL Finds = New project

Was lucky enough to find a 22.5" Platinum on CL for only $40 a few days ago, and picked up a couple Smokey Joe Silvers for $20 last week. My original plan was to turn the Silvers into a couple Mini-WSM's and keep the Platinum as-is. Well......when I went to pick up the Platinum, I found out there was a big crack almost the whole length of the table. I thought to myself.."not a big deal, I'll fix it with some epoxy, and it's still a good deal at $40". After sitting outside this afternoon and smoking some chickens (HERE), I was thinking...."Man it would be nice to have a prep/work table out here". Plus, I need somewhere for the mini's to sit after they are built. I started coming up with a plan. I'm going to use the tube frame of the platinum to mount the 22.5" to a custom built table that will also have the 2 mini's flush mounted next to each other, with just the pot and top rising above the table. And just for good measure.....I'm going to flush mount the new 18" x 24" cutting board I just bought right next to the 22.5". My step-dad is a genius when it comes to building things and woodworking, so I'll enlist his help with the build (Plus he has all the tools).

Here's my plan...a artist I am not.....

Top view.....

Thoughts?....comments?.....concerns?
mn_big_dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
iowasmoker
Found some matches.

i assume you are going to replace the table to fit the minis? overall i think this idea is brilliant. can't wait to see the resaults.
iowasmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
mn_big_dog

Yeah...the only thing I'll be using from the Platinum is the kettle itself and the two tubes.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
chagovatoloco
Full Fledged Farker

I like it, Only I would just replace the plastic with wood and extend the table a little. I don't think you need to completely redesign the table just add to it. But either way it would be really cool.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
mn_big_dog

I'm looking for something more permanent, more stable and with a lot more room. So I think a whole new unit will be the way to go. Plus, the original setup seems too low to me.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I like it, now I want one of those too, fark why does that keep happening?

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Maybe put the 2 mini's on the far right so you don't have to reach so far to get into them. Just service them from the end.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Fishhook
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Maybe put the 2 mini's on the far right so you don't have to reach so far to get into them. Just service them from the end.
Or walk around the back side...?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhook View Post
Or walk around the back side...?
I guess I was thinking it would be next to a wall.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
Barbarian BBQ

You mention that you thought the set up is low. Have you considered the height added by the pots on the minis?

I think your idea is brilliant! Good Luck. And the more you have to fabricate the better!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
mn_big_dog

The "low" part I'm more worried about is the work/prep area. I'm 6'2" and bending over to the height of the current platinum table to prep would do a number on my lower back. Maybe this means I'm getting old?