MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Smokenstein & monster crew
Full Fledged Farker

Default Competition BBQ Drinking Stories

This could get very interesting and funny at the same time. Like most of us do (some not), like to have a cocktail or two/three/four while competing. Do you have your own ? or witnessed something that was either really funny, horrifying, or something that pissed you off ?
are there pictures of the incidents ?

For instance a man jumping onto a moving golf cart to attack the event organizer in a drunkin protest.... or at least 7 teams hootin' it up at midnight in a local bar (ummm, gotta get to those smokers soon)... Or the reverand delivering a sermon calling to the bbq gods.

so whats your story ?
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My smoker will eat your WSM for breakfast :becky:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Custom 55 gallon drum(s) smoker that chews wood spits out the embers. (no set it & forget it BBQ stuff for me)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Smokenstein & monster crew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

Green Lane PA 2010-
We decided to let, unknown to us at the time, Tim McMaster, pit bitch for us. Scary to look at, at first with those Elvis sideburns and goatee...was hoping he wouldn't kill us in our sleep.
Anyway, we have dinner of bratwursts, sauerkraut, pita, garlic hummus, jack Daniels and beer. At some point someone mentioned that there was a strip club not far up the road. After, a fair amount of arm twisting we decided to go. The Flyers were in the playoffs and and other patrons of the bar were buying us shots of jaegarmeister and tequila. So I look over at tim, as he is watching the hockey game, and ever so nonchalant he looks into his empty beer glass and vomits right in there, not spilling a drop. He does not get up, or run to restroom, just sits there. I nudge my brother, who is on the other side of me and he looks at me like "what?" I head nod towards tim and again he says what?! I told him " just wait for it" and sure enough he fills that beer glass with vomit.
He finally gets up goes to the bathroom, empties the glass and hands it to bartender...wow really?
We asked him if we should get taxi back to comp ...he says no he is fine and is the most sober one in bar as he just got rid of all the alcohol in his system

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 Humphrey Pints and Half Pint, 2 Cubed Pints
18" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Performer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

Muzzlebrake's muffin top adventure , thats all I can say
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohrs123 View Post
Green Lane PA 2010-
We decided to let, unknown to us at the time, Tim McMaster, pit bitch for us. Scary to look at, at first with those Elvis sideburns and goatee...was hoping he wouldn't kill us in our sleep.
Anyway, we have dinner of bratwursts, sauerkraut, pita, garlic hummus, jack Daniels and beer. At some point someone mentioned that there was a strip club not far up the road. After, a fair amount of arm twisting we decided to go. The Flyers were in the playoffs and and other patrons of the bar were buying us shots of jaegarmeister and tequila. So I look over at tim, as he is watching the hockey game, and ever so nonchalant he looks into his empty beer glass and vomits right in there, not spilling a drop. He does not get up, or run to restroom, just sits there. I nudge my brother, who is on the other side of me and he looks at me like "what?" I head nod towards tim and again he says what?! I told him " just wait for it" and sure enough he fills that beer glass with vomit.
He finally gets up goes to the bathroom, empties the glass and hands it to bartender...wow really?
We asked him if we should get taxi back to comp ...he says no he is fine and is the most sober one in bar as he just got rid of all the alcohol in his system
That sums up horrifying LOL, and away we go, next .......
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My smoker will eat your WSM for breakfast :becky:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Custom 55 gallon drum(s) smoker that chews wood spits out the embers. (no set it & forget it BBQ stuff for me)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohrs123 View Post
Green Lane PA 2010-

he hasnt changed a bit. did you know he is/was a pro wrestler??
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

In early 2010, there was a food blogger in AZ that was calling out AZ's competition BBQ teams for cooking subpar food at a previous competition. He insisted that he could cook much better than a vast majority of teams. Obviously, the local teams took offense to this and invited him out to the next competition to compete, a 55-team KCBS event in Scottsdale. He took up the offer (free entry fee) and signed up.

He and a buddy rolled in with a powder blue ECB bullet to cook on. They were about the most bare-bones team we had ever seen....cooker, cooler, two chairs. It turns out that they were brining/marinading (don't now what the hell they were really doing to be honest) all 4 meats at the same time in the same liquid.

As the night wore on and the drinks started flowing, teams would trickle by to say hi, offer advice and give the foodie a hard time for talking so much smack. Eventually, teams began to "offer advice" on chicken. The biggest question that was asked was: "Have you guys got your chicken on yet? Might want to get that started." Of course, they had been drinking as well and it was shortly after midnight.

You guessed it, they started their chicken right around 1-2am, thinking they were getting some solid advice from the otherwise helpful teams. DAL in chicken and a 52 out of 55 overall. In all fairness, the foodie dude did later compose a blog post showing a newfound respect for competition BBQ.

Later we found out that they failed to properly remove all of the coals from the ECB and it started a fire in his trunk on the drive home.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
Tack
Full Fledged Farker

Damn!!! You all are quick to kick Tim under the table errr I mean bus under the table is another story.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
Mrs. McFrankenboo
On the road to being a farker

Crash, you forgot to mention that, after the competition, he then out his smoker into the truck of his car and it caught on fire while he was driving home!!

And I don't drink so I have no stories

Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. McFrankenboo View Post
Crash, you forgot to mention that, after the competition, he then out his smoker into the truck of his car and it caught on fire while he was driving home!!

And I don't drink so I have no stories
Ive seen your video entry....you do lots of travel
no drinking, but you may of
... witnessed something that was either really funny, horrifying, or something that pissed you off ?

starting chicken at 1 am is classic...

I personally dont like to start my smokers to early, thats not me. So i was indulging a little, decided to take a quick power nap (with timer) before starting my smoker & cooking through the night. To be awaken by a large shadowlike figure shaking my canopy.. yellin "your smoker is ice cold...I mean ice cold" .. kind of funny, figuring i hadnt started it yet. I yelled out "Are you kidding me, it must of went out?" dont know what made me say that..the power nap, or the beer ???

Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
he hasnt changed a bit. did you know he is/was a pro wrestler??
Is this true? If so, many questions are answered but many more come to mind. What promotion? Was/is he a Babyface or a Heel? And yes I have outed myself as a wrestling fan. OK not so much now, but I enjoyed it a lot over the years, particularly when I was a kid down in Texas and Fritz Von Erich was king.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

I'm sure everyone's heard the story of Myron falling into the creek at the Jack.

A couple of years ago at Que & Cruz there was a first time team that got "caught up in the moment" They were partying and hitting the bottle pretty hard Friday night. Both the event director and I were camping out not far from their site. The music had been going all night and about 3 it suddenly got louder to the point it woke me up. Enough was enough, I got up to go over and say something. When I got to their site there was the girl on the team stark naked and dancing on top of by the picnic table with all the guys standing around hooting and hollering. At that point the event director got there and shut them down. I'm not even sure they were awake for turn ins.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
I'm sure everyone's heard the story of Myron falling into the creek at the Jack.
I'm not sure who tells it better. Myron or Willy.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Let's see, 2004 American Royal?; something about Ford from Great Lakes BBQ & Feed, Bahama Mamas, and a golf cart...
Oh yeah, and the guy hanging off the back who fell off twice...
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'll bet this guy had a story to tell...

JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
I'll bet this guy had a story to tell...

I am sure injected with Kentucky bourbon, rubbed in a little dirt,
marinated in night sweats...looks like he's been on the smoker a little while...I think its done ?