MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Brisket cooked like Tri-Tip

Well, after landarc and SteveT cooked Tri-Tip like Brisket with good results, this left me with a lot of questions about the accuracy of the beliefs of how tender/leaner cuts should be cooked versus tougher/fattier cuts.

One of those questions was whether or not Brisket could be cooked like Tri-Tip, in other words, cooked to a maximum of a rare or medium-rare doneness and still have an edible product.

All of my experience and knowledge up to this point tells me this is a bad idea and I will wind up with tough, dry, impossible to chew meat.

Because I am short for time, I will post my description of the cooking process, followed by the pics, then my review. I will add further descriptions as needed based on any questions.

When landarc cooked his Tri-Tip like a Brisket, he did it like he was doing a competition brisket, using injections, and techniques he knew worked best for brisket. When cooking Tri-Tip, it is much simpler, and there are fewer tricks for me to choose from to ensure I get a tender, juicy product.

Really, the only knowledge I have that I used to ensure a tender, juicy product was picking the most flexible flat I could find, that also had a reasonably thick piece of meat under the fat cap. I found a very flexible one, quite limp even, that was a Choice Angus flat from Sams.

I trimmed the flat of most visible fat (like I would a Tri-Tip or other roast that I would cook to 125-130 degrees), and then I hit it with some Plowboy's Bovine Bold rub. I let the rub set in while the meat warmed up, and I got the grill going.

I cooked it using the 2-zone method in my Weber Kettle, starting it indirect, and putting on a reverse sear once the meat hit 118 degrees internal (as read with my Thermapen).

I seared it for about a minute each side, and the finish temp was 125 degrees internal (as read with my Thermapen).

I let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing. It looked juicy, and had some juices accumulating under the meat.

The meat was medium rare, and had a warm red center. The pics don't do the meat complete justice, it was a darker red than shown in the pics, but you can still see what is important to see about the end product.

What did I think?

I thought it was really good!

It was very juicy, as you can see from the pics.

It was also tender. Not as tender as other roasts you can get for a similar price, but this was nothing remotely like "eating a boot", which is what I expected.

I asked my 16 year old to try some, not telling him what it was. When I asked him if it was juicy, he said, "Yes". When I asked him if it was tough, he also said "Yes", but this is the kid that thinks all steaks except Filets are tough. Now, interestingly enough, I also made chicken for dinner the same way this 16 year old RAVED about on Friday. Guess what he ate? He ate this BRISKET! He didn't even touch the chicken. He stuffed himself with the brisket, and loved it. He said he enjoyed it. So clearly it is not that tough.

Would I serve this to others? Yes. But I would sooner cook a different roast like a Sirloin Tip that is a bit more tender, and cheaper than a Brisket Flat (at least it is here).

Would I make it again? Probably not. I prefer brisket cooked like brisket. This tasted very beefy, and was really good, but I prefer the flavor of brisket prepared the way I am used to over this. If I want a beefy roast like this, there are other options out there as good, or even better.

So there you have it. You can indeed cook brisket like tri-tip and get a very good product that is tender, juicy, and very flavorful. Not to mention, quite edible, seeing as more brisket was eaten at dinner than some excellent chicken I had prepared as a backup just in case.

My name is Chris Baker and I approve this message.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
ksace
On the road to being a farker

Well I'm floored. That really looks good and I sure didn't expect those results either.

Thanks for taking the chance.
ksace is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very interesting. Thanks.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Wow Chris! That's very interesting! This entire week has been very uhm... interesting!

I'd SO hit that though!

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
caseydog

It looks good, but I barely read any of your text, because, as usual, you farking rambled on and on and on.

I'd be willing to try it. Did anyone else eat it, and can you relate what they had to say in fewer than 300 farking words?

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
landarc

Well, dang skippy that sure looks good. I kinda figured it would look good, but, I am surprised it is tender.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Wampus

Alright.....this blows me away. I mean, as I understand it, way back when, BBQ was basically invented by folks taking the less desirable cuts of meat that noone else wanted and slow cooked them to make them not only edible but good.

But THIS suggests that a brisket flat (one of the supposed "undesirable cuts") could be cooked like a farkin steak and be quite enjoyable!!!

Nice work, Chris Baker, sir!!! I applaud your efforts!!! I, for one, would have never tried this. And I certainly would not have expected the results posted here.

That looks farkin GOOD!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Boshizzle

Thanks for the experiment. I'm surprised wasn't tougher than described too.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
But THIS suggests that a brisket flat (one of the supposed "undesirable cuts") could be cooked like a farkin steak and be quite enjoyable!!!
When I read this a thought popped into my head. Yes, you can cook it like a steak but it is not necessarily presented like a steak. I wonder how much has to do with slicing it thin across the grain. I would also wonder if you took a flat and cut it into steak sized portions, cooked it as above and then ate it like an actual steak, if it would still have the same results. If you cut a wedge off of the flat steak like you would with a regular steak, would you be chewing forever?
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
landarc

Colonel, the very same thing would apply to a brisket cooked the traidtional way, cutting always makes a difference. Cook a tri-tip to 125F and cut it wrong and it will chew as well.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Well, dang skippy that sure looks good. I kinda figured it would look good, but, I am surprised it is tender.
I was equally surprised.

There are other cuts that you can roast like this that are more tender and at a better price point.

All that said however, this was not too tough to eat. For a medium-rare roast, I would say it was on the tough end of the spectrum, but that did not remotely mean it was too tough to eat...at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
When I read this a thought popped into my head. Yes, you can cook it like a steak but it is not necessarily presented like a steak. I wonder how much has to do with slicing it thin across the grain. I would also wonder if you took a flat and cut it into steak sized portions, cooked it as above and then ate it like an actual steak, if it would still have the same results. If you cut a wedge off of the flat steak like you would with a regular steak, would you be chewing forever?
I sliced it thin across the grain to give it the best chance of being successful. It worked as far as I can tell.

I did take both the end after slicing (larger than the size of a standard chunk you get served as a "sirloin tip" from a plate of sirloin tips at a restaurant), along with a thick slice and tried them both. Both were also edible. A bit more chewy of course because they were thicker chunks, but still able to chew them.

The end piece had a bit of gristle or some sort of tough stuff, but all the meat around that little bit was as edible as everything else.

I'm just surprised I could chew it. I'm surprised more brisket was eaten than that farking chicken (the chicken was awesome). I think I had so much because I just couldn't believe it was edible, and kept having to prove it to myself again.

If anyone else wants to try, please do. I would love to hear a second opinion. Just don't expect it to be as tender as most steaks. It is tougher. But it is not too tough, that's what I'm trying to say.

You can get beefier and more tender roasts for less. The Sirloin Tip Roast at Sams was 2.78/lb tonight, compared to the Brisket Flat at 3.96/lb. I would go with the Sirloin Tip roast over the flat any day.

It can be done though. That does not mean it is ideal. I think landarc had the same feelings about his tri-tip cooked like a brisket. It could be done, and was good, but not ideal (unless I misunderstood him). Same here.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
landarc

You are right, just because it can be done, doesn't mean I will do it again. Although tastes vary and some might prefer it. As I was telling Chris, many Asian cultures regularly use brisket as a rare cut to add to soups.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 01-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post

Alright.....this blows me away. I mean, as I understand it, way back when, BBQ was basically invented by folks taking the less desirable cuts of meat that noone else wanted and slow cooked them to make them not only edible but good.

I think this confirms brisket as a less desirable cut for roasts. It is good, don't get me wrong, but I could have used many different roast cuts and had better.

For this cut, having tried it both ways, I believe the best way to serve it is the way we are all familiar with, BBQ BRISKET!

That does not mean you can not make a really good, if not great roast out of one however. Considering how good the chicken was, I guess this was towards the great end of the spectrum. But I found a very tender flexible flat. It's possible that a less flexible flat might have less desirable results.

At this point, I just don't farking know any more what to say about what makes meat tender and juicy. I know this was juicy, and far more tender than expected. Since both of my boys ate the brisket over the chicken, it was obviously not "flawed" in the tenderness department.

So the next time someone asks why the meat gets tender, I guess I just don't know.

Duh.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
landarc

evaporation?

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 01-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
evaporation?

I'm definitely more willing to believe that is the source of the stall now.

Apparently I've been an asshat in denial for a long time now.

Duh.