MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Smoked turkey did a flip-flop

SMOKED TURKEY DID A FLIP-FLOP

Tried to smoke a whole 10 pound turkey. It turned out bad. I used the brine that is in the video. It sat in the brine for 2 days. Maybe that was too long? Rinsed the brine, refrigerated for 12 hours uncovered, stuffed with apples and onions, added some butter and rub before it placed it in a 325 degree UDS. Basted it with butter 3 times. It only took 2 hours for the breast to reach 160 degrees. The thighs were at 175 degrees. I was surprised how fast it cooked. It looked good, tasted bad. Turned out to be the 2nd worst turkey I have ever eaten. Worst one was the one I made and couple of months ago with no brine. It tasted rubbery or under cooked. 3 out of 4 people did not like it. I gave it all to the 1 person that liked it.

No more turkey’s for me. I’m going to have to stick with pork butts and ribs.

Apple Juice-Brined Smoked Turkey - YouTube

Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Turkey is one of my easiest things to smoke. I do think you brined it way too long and over did it with the add ons. Just use a basic brine overnight next time and rub it down. I think KISS might change your results. I wouldn't give up. A delicious smoked turkey is worth the effort. They are one of my favorites. Don't give up yet.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I have a bunch of questions...

1. Was it a pre-brined turkey? (i.e., treated with some sort of 'self-basted' solution)
2. What type of fuel and wood (and how much wood) did you use?
3. How confident are you of the UDS temp? 2 hours for 10 lbs does seem fast.
4. "It looked good. Tasted bad". That really doesn't tell us much. What was bad about it? Too salty? Too bland? What was it that you didn't like?
5. I gotta ask... Was it refrigerated while in the brine? I'm sure it was, but i gotta ask :)

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

try cutting the sugar in half I use 1 cup kosher salt (enhanced-free bird) 1/2 cup light brown sugar

and one gal juice (half apple, half cranberry) and one gal heavily iced water

and brined overnight.

cloves can be tricky try using a tablespoon each of whole peppercorns and whole allspice berries
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I have a bunch of questions...
1. Was it a pre-brined turkey? (i.e., treated with some sort of 'self-basted' solution) YES THAT IS WHY I USED LESS KOSHER SALT, JUST LIKE THE VIDEO.
2. What type of fuel and wood (and how much wood) did you use?
KINGSFORD BLUE WITH 2 TINY PIECES OF CHERRY (ABOUT THE SIZE OF 2 STICKS OF BUTTER)
3. How confident are you of the UDS temp? 2 hours for 10 lbs does seem fast. CHECKED THE ET732 ON BOILING WATER AND IS RIGHT ON AT 212
4. "It looked good. Tasted bad". That really doesn't tell us much. What was bad about it? Too salty? Too bland? What was it that you didn't like?
TASTED LIKE RUBBER, TOO WET, TASTED UNDER COOKED. YOU COULD OF TOLD ME I WAS EATING CAMEL.
5. I gotta ask... Was it refrigerated while in the brine? I'm sure it was, but i gotta ask YES IT WAS.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

the flip-flopping turkey's name must have been willard.

i need to find a good smoked turkey thread as i promised the fam i'd smoke my first on for thanksgiving....

Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
the flip-flopping turkey's name must have been willard.

i need to find a good smoked turkey thread as i promised the fam i'd smoke my first on for thanksgiving....
I would practice before Thanksgiving.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Is it possible it was that way because he said he stuffed the bird. Should you not do that when smoking it???

[FONT=Arial Black]Of everything I have lost in this life...I miss my mind the most![/FONT]
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
Turkey is one of my easiest things to smoke. I do think you brined it way too long and over did it with the add ons. Just use a basic brine overnight next time and rub it down. I think KISS might change your results. I wouldn't give up. A delicious smoked turkey is worth the effort. They are one of my favorites. Don't give up yet.
What size bird?
What cooking temp do you use? I was trying get crispy skin using 325 degrees and butter baste.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I would practice before Thanksgiving.

i should for sure. i'm not sure i'll have time though. yikes.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
What size bird?
What cooking temp do you use? I was trying get crispy skin using 325 degrees and butter baste.

Any size from 10-14. I try to cook from 325-375. I don't baste it after it starts cooking at all. I prefer to keep the lid closed until it is ready. I will put some butter on top when I put it on and I also cover the breast with bacon to drop some grease into it and hopefully slow the cooking down so it does not get before the thighs.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
SMOKED TURKEY DID A FLIP-FLOP

Tried to smoke a whole 10 pound turkey. It turned out bad. I used the brine that is in the video. It sat in the brine for 2 days. Maybe that was too long? Rinsed the brine, refrigerated for 12 hours uncovered, stuffed with apples and onions, added some butter and rub before it placed it in a 325 degree UDS. Basted it with butter 3 times. It only took 2 hours for the breast to reach 160 degrees. The thighs were at 175 degrees. I was surprised how fast it cooked. It looked good, tasted bad. Turned out to be the 2nd worst turkey I have ever eaten. Worst one was the one I made and couple of months ago with no brine. It tasted rubbery or under cooked. 3 out of 4 people did not like it. I gave it all to the 1 person that liked it.

No more turkey’s for me. I’m going to have to stick with pork butts and ribs.
Smoked turkey is great and is one of my favorite things to smoke.

I put in bold the things in your process that I would do differently.

• 2 days of brine is not brining your turkey, it is curing your turkey. 24 hours is plenty. 12 hours will work.
    • I use 1 cup of salt (kosher) to 1 gallon of water
  • Refrigerating your turkey for an additional 12 hours AFTER it is brined is unnecessary.
  • You mentioned you added butter & rub. Where did you add it? on top of the skin won't do you any good. butter and/or rub should be applied beneath the skin.
  • 325 degrees is quite a bit lower than I smoke a turkey. I like it to be in the 350-375 neighborhood. Also I cook mine indirectly (in a UDS this would mean a baffle/heat sink between meat & fire)
The reason it cooked so quickly was the 60 hours it was brined (48 in brine + 12 sitting in fridge with brine residue still in turkey). In comparison, the last Turkey I brined for a total of 16 hours.
The low temp and the extreme brine time contributed to your rubbery texture

Here are some resources: http://sirporkalot.com/?s=brine

Old 10-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
Smoked turkey is great and is one of my favorite things to smoke.

I put in bold the things in your process that I would do differently.

• 2 days of brine is not brining your turkey, it is curing your turkey. 24 hours is plenty. 12 hours will work.
    • I use 1 cup of salt (kosher) to 1 gallon of water
  • Refrigerating your turkey for an additional 12 hours AFTER it is brined is unnecessary.
  • You mentioned you added butter & rub. Where did you add it? on top of the skin won't do you any good. butter and/or rub should be applied beneath the skin.
  • 325 degrees is quite a bit lower than I smoke a turkey. I like it to be in the 350-375 neighborhood. Also I cook mine indirectly (in a UDS this would mean a baffle/heat sink between meat & fire)
The reason it cooked so quickly was the 60 hours it was brined (48 in brine + 12 sitting in fridge with brine residue still in turkey). In comparison, the last Turkey I brined for a total of 16 hours.
The low temp and the extreme brine time contributed to your rubbery texture

Here are some resources: http://sirporkalot.com/?s=brine
You said you brined your turkey but then your site says you shouldnt...? ummmm
samfsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfsu View Post
You said you brined your turkey but then your site says you shouldnt...? ummmm
Good catch!

I typically do NOT brine your standard store bought turkey because it is already brined (if I do, it is not for long)

I also do NOT typically buy standard store bought turkeys. if you went on to read the rest of that post you will notice I searched until I found a fresh turkey (not brined, not frozen, etc)

Old 10-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
Good catch!

I typically do NOT brine your standard store bought turkey because it is already brined (if I do, it is not for long)

I also do NOT typically buy standard store bought turkeys. if you went on to read the rest of that post you will notice I searched until I found a fresh turkey (not brined, not frozen, etc)

Come on you cant expect me to read until the end, you had all those pretty pictures of turkeys in there ;)
samfsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
turkey