• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

what gets you a top ten

T

tomace

our team has competed in 9 kcbs comps. and we improve every contest. we finally recieved our first call in brisket for second place, but we seem to consistantly be stuck in the teens. any advice on what took your team into the top tens, or from our upper 160's into the 170's. needing something to do in the off season for our team. thanks!!!:flame:

You might not like this answer, but the best thing to is practice. Read what people post here, try it, and tweak it to fit your style. Or you could just spend the money and take a class.

Cheers,
Nate

What Brewmaster said. Spend a small fortune and half your life, and someday you too can MAYBE break even..........:crazy:

Cook better?:idea:

No...seriously, you've got the answer in your post. You've competed 9 times and have improved with each contest. So after 20 contests, you'll be better than you are now. And if those 20 contests happen over the span of a summer, where you can develop some routines, you'll get the consistency that it takes to frequently score well. Take a look at how often the top scoring teams compete. There's something to be said for repetition.:thumb:

consistency! That is the most difficult thing to accomplish. The only way to do it is practice. Also, once you find something that works DO NOT CHANGE IT. We have found something that works and thought we could tweek it to get even higher scores and have been slapped down. 2nd or 3rd place is pretty darn good and the next comp could place 1st. DO NOT CHANGE WHAT SEEMS TO WORK. That being said, if if fails more than just a few comps change may be needed.
The crazy thing is ribs may bring a top 5 in two comps and then bring top 30 the next two or three.

Cook better?:idea:

No...seriously, you've got the answer in your post. You've competed 9 times and have improved with each contest. So after 20 contests, you'll be better than you are now. And if those 20 contests happen over the span of a summer, where you can develop some routines, you'll get the consistency that it takes to frequently score well. Take a look at how often the top scoring teams compete. There's something to be said for repetition.:thumb:

yep......so true........

Remember who you are cooking for. No matter how much you may like a particular rub, sauce, or technique, if the judges don't like it, Dump it.
Some do find early success, but as others have said.. it takes time. If it were easy, anyone could do it.

Remember who you are cooking for. No matter how much you may like a particular rub, sauce, or technique, if the judges don't like it, Dump it.
Some do find early success, but as others have said.. it takes time. If it were easy, anyone could do it.

remember also that there is nothing worse than trying to "cook for" a judge and then getting scored down for it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116550
stay true to your Q, and concentrate on cooking the best bbq that YOU can possibly make!

our team has competed in 9 kcbs comps. and we improve every contest. we finally recieved our first call in brisket for second place, but we seem to consistantly be stuck in the teens. any advice on what took your team into the top tens, or from our upper 160's into the 170's. needing something to do in the off season for our team. thanks!!!:flame:

Your product needs to be super tender and moist. Flavors need to be classic barbecue with a nice balance of mild smoke, bold savory dry rub, very sweet glaze with a touch of tang or heat to balance it out. Professionally trimmed and neatly displayed in the box. Minimal garnish with the meat being the focus. If you can do this in all 4 categories on a consistent basis you will get lots of calls.

Pixie Dust. We will have a new product out in 2012...:becky:

Work on cooking meat. Forget flavors for now and worry about cooking and boxing the best you can. That is more easy to attain now, than flavors. Once you have those 2 down, worry about flavors. For now, I'd recommend FAB, Blues Hog and Smokin' Guns Hot rub... :thumb:

Pixie Dust. We will have a new product out in 2012...:becky:

Work on cooking meat. Forget flavors for now and worry about cooking and boxing the best you can. That is more easy to attain now, than flavors. Once you have those 2 down, worry about flavors. For now, I'd recommend FAB, Blues Hog and Smokin' Guns Hot rub... :thumb:

Did you hear...the judges dont like those flavors and are scoring them down...everyone should stop using them...

everyone but me that is...

thanks everyone! been doing everything that was brought up, just don't get why we were getting 12th one comp. and the next we get a 30 something. sounds like everyone has the same issue from time to time. really appreciate the input! just stay true to my q and be patient with the results. ace

I do not believe a team has to cook a ton of contests to get good. But they need to cook a lot regardless. I cook 6-8 contests a year max., but I practice so much, I'd be embarrassed to admit the amount. My best advice is to get about 10-15 weekends over the winter where you're doing practice cooks. By the spring, you're ready to go and got that feel down.

What Podge said... I also cook a ton when I ain't competing I also cook in all sorts of weather I don't have a fancy insulated cooker so she tends to be a little more temperamental in bad weather but I have practiced in it so I know what to expect and how to adjust for it

I started BBQing last year. I did my first sanctioned event this summer and got 6th. Then we did a non-sanctioned event with 20 teams and got GC. I attribute it to three things; I cooked every entry every way I thought or learned about, constantly surfed the web for more and better techniques(thanks to everyone here for posting great things), and, I don't have a TV.

Back