Juat got a call to cook for 1500 ppl

nicerackbbqteam

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
well i just got a call to do cook Ribs and pulled pork for 1500 people..
my qustion is how much per person and how much meat! this is my first time cooking this many people just need a little help on the numbers

thank you

How much are they paying?

If it is an opportunity to do this event annually...I would say "do it right"!

I would give about 12oz of pork (precooked) and 3-4 ribs per person. Make sure that they leave miserable and full. If the dollars are tight....I would pull that back to 9oz of pork (precooked) and 2-3 ribs per person.

My thoughts anyways.

Not to put a damper on things... but you may want to consider IF you should take the gig.
To feed 1500 people with pork, you will need to do 100 butts. To feed them with ribs, it would take 500 slabs of ribs. Doing a combination will require you to do some combination like 50 pork butts and 250 slabs of ribs.
Having done several events for 300 people, I caution you to make sure you have the right equipment and personnel to properly cook, hold, and serve that kind of volume.

Not saying don't do it... but if you don't have the capacity to do it safely, reconsider.

I have fed 1500. Minimum of an FEC 500, plus a pit to warm beans on, 2 - 2 sided serving lines, plenty refrigeration and 8-10 people. You realize that it is about 90 pork butts if all you do is PP?

Also make sure that 1500 will actually eat. Did a Darius Rucker/Uncle Kracker concert a few weeks ago, us and every vender there left very dissappointed. Working your tail off and being upside down stinks.

Doing a combination will require you to do some combination like 50 pork butts and 250 slabs of ribs.

So you would recommend serving 1,500 guests 2 1/4oz of pork and two ribs each? :crazy:

I so much mind the two ribs part, but I'd also go with 1/3# of pork per person. That's more than 100 butts.

2 serving tables, self service off both sides for everything but the ribs. Veggies/sides set up first, pork & bread next, and a server at the far endcap of the table placing two rib bones on top of the plates.

I'm also assuming this a catered event and not a vending venture. Vending would be different. I do not vend.

Mind you, I never run out of food, but my rough calculations put this about 120 8.5lb pork butts (bone in) and 380-400 racks of ribs.

You're looking at a whopper of a cooking crew and cookers! Agree with the 10 people, 2 double-sided serving lines (not tables, but lines of tables).

We regularly cook for 60-100, and have the capacity to go up to 200+-. But 1500?
Wow!!!

You'll definitely want money up front for this.

Mind you, I never run out of food, but my rough calculations put this about 120 8.5lb pork butts (bone in) and 380-400 racks of ribs.

You're looking at a whopper of a cooking crew and cookers! Agree with the 10 people, 2 double-sided serving lines (not tables, but lines of tables).

We regularly cook for 60-100, and have the capacity to go up to 200+-. But 1500?
Wow!!!

You'll definitely want money up front for this.

No disrespect, but you'd lose your @ss. 8# butts shrink to 4.5# - 5# in my FEC500. Let's call it 4#, so 16 servings per butt (since you have ribs). That is 93.75 pork butts @ a 4oz serving (you just wasted $312). As far as ribs, 2 bones of full spares per head is 215 slabs (you just wasted $1295). Leftovers are ok when you feed 100, but they KILL YOU on quantity. Figure it tight on the big ones.

Back