MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #196
Sleepy Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

I've gotten a big kick out of reading this thread, infernooo. Lots of great sauce information gathered into one convenient spot. Thanks for all the hard work, great photographs, and in-depth reviews. Awesome job.
Sleepy Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #197
infernooo
On the road to being a farker

On to the eleventh sauce - thanks going to justjack for this one.

#11 justjack (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=41)

Mate, I don't measure when I make sauces, but I'll give you an outline. Biting my tongue on the rest, but I bet you're a bit of a mind reader, eh?! ;)

30 - 40 birds eye chillies, chuck in a handfull of chipotles too, if you like
5 habs, either choc or orange
1 whole pineapple fresh
2 whole mangoes
1 onion minced
1 carrot grated
2 litres breakfast juice
2 tbs fresh ground black pepper
couple shots of Inner Circle.. more if I can bear to part with it
2 - 3 cups vinegar, apple cider usually, also some white balsamic for flavour
Garlic, lots

Simmer to reduce, blitz with the missus's little mate, salt to taste, add whatever it needs to round it out. It ain't rocket science mate, so I tend to tip and guesstimate.

Recipe Review:

Notes: I used apple cider vinegar (Cornwell’s brand), homebrand breakfast juice (as specified), and Inner Circle Rum. Garlic amounts were not specified, so I ended up using 6 large cloves, minced.

Meats tested, variations tried: Pork tenderloin, pork ribs, pulled beef, lamb and chicken breast. I tested the sauce pureed as a sauce/glaze, and semi-chunky as a dipping sauce.

Ingredients: It is quite apparent that this is a fruity, tropical sauce, reminiscent of a mango-pineapple hot-sauce. The breakfast juice contains a range of fruits, (apple, pear, orange, mango, grape, peach, apricot, guava, lemon, passionfruit), which should complement the apple cider vinegar well. There are a LOT of chillies, and I will start off by saying I will not be adding them all, but will add some chipotles as suggested in the hope that this will lend the applicability of the sauce to beef slightly more so.

Ease of preparation: Almost as simple as recipes get, the only lengthy process being peeling the pineapple, mangos and deseeding some of the chillies. Simmering does take a short while, but I found that after about 30-45 minutes, it was at a nice consistency for pureeing and finishing.

Taste/Texture: VERY spicy... unless you are accustomed to very spicy foods and have a mouth and stomach of steel (think Homer Simpson in the chili competition episode where uses candle wax in his mouth due to the heat of Chief Wiggums chili), all you will get is heat, and it will be hard to appreciate the other flavours. The chilli gives the sauce a great kick, and in combination with the mango, pineapple and breakfast juice, the result is a very fruity, complex sauce with a range of flavours happening. The onion, garlic and black pepper provide a savoury aspect to the sauce, bringing it back from being too fruity (like a desert sauce minus the chilli). I found that black pepper works nicely with tropical fruits such as mango and pineapple, and it doesn’t let down in this recipe. The cider vinegar counteracts some of the spiciness as well as the sweetness of the fruits and breakfast juice. Finally, the shot of rum gives it a nice alcoholic kick, and as we all know, booze and tropical fruits go together very nicely. Texture can be controlled by reducing to the appropriate amount of liquid and then blending to the desired consistency (chunky or smooth).

Recommendations: To start, most will want to cut back on the number of chillies to at least half the amount in the recipe. I would also replace some with a chipotle or 2 to introduce a slight smokiness and a savoury yet fruity note (contradictory, but chipotles seem to have this effect). As suggested at the end of the recipe, be sure to add salt to taste as it will need it to bring out the flavours and balance the other elements of the sauce.

Ratings:

Appearance: 8/10 Depending on the colour of the chillies used (I used red and only a few chipotles), you will either have a fairly bright red/orange sauce, or a slightly darker sauce. Using orange habaneros and red chillies will result in the nicest looking sauce, whilst using green chillies, lots of chipotles and chocolate habaneros will darken the sauce and result in a slightly less pleasant looking sauce. I found the sauce to look great whether it was still chunky or baby smooth. The flecks of pepper look great in the sea of orange, as do the seeds from the chillies.

Consistency: 8/10 As consistency is controlled by the reduction and subsequent blending of the sauce, it is entirely up to you as to how thick, thin, chunky, or smooth you would like it. For glazing, and brushing purposes, smooth is best, but you can also blend half of the sauce and pulse the other half, leaving it chunky for dipping or adding to other recipes. The sauce is “naturally thickened”, meaning that there are no added thickening agents such as starches or gums, so if you want your sauce thick and sticky, you have to cook it down until quite syrupy, then blend and possibly reduce it a little more. This will result in a darker, less fresh tasting sauce, but perhaps one more to your liking in terms of consistency.

Taste: 7.5/10 Fruity, spicy, tropical, tangy and sweet with subtle vegetal undertones. Due to the lack of added spices, molasses, and tomato, it does lack that classical “bbq sauce” flavour which makes it even more unique and less susceptible to clashes with underlying spice rubs. Whilst you do not really feel that it is let down by this, it does leave you wondering how it would taste if modified to include some sweet spices (ginger, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, coriander, juniper etc).

Versatility: 6/10 One of the few letdowns of this sauce. It simply does not translate well for certain meats. Whilst it was (excuse the less than scientific and slightly immature use of language) freaking awesome on pork ribs, pork tenderloin and chicken, it was less than impressive on beef, lamb and duck. As a dipping sauce, it works very well, and I can recommend it for occasions requiring a spicy yet fruity sauce.

Overall Rating: 7.5/10. There is no doubt that we have a very interesting sauce here with a great depth of flavour and good balance of elements. I would also like to play around with added spices at some stage and possibly with some added butter to carry the flavours. My only major criticism is the lack of versatility inherent with such a distinctly fruity sauce. On the “right” meats, this is a VERY nice sauce – very Moorish and flavourful without being too rich or over powering (provided you dial back on the chillies).

Photos of sauce construction:

1.) The ingredients:

Clockwise from top (Salt not shown):

Chillies + Garlic, Chopped Pineapple, Mushed Mango, Breakfast Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar + White Balsamic + Inner Circle Rum, , Onion + Carrot, Black Pepper.

2.) After cooking for about 30 minutes until reduced and thick:

3.) Blending:

4.) Half chunky, half smooth:

5.) After cooling:

Thanks justjack for the recipe

Next up, lake dogs second sauce!
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #198
infernooo

Up next, we have sauce #12 – compliments of Mr. Lake Dogs (again!)

#12 Lake Dogs (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=42)

I know I've already submitted mine with 2 variations. This is a sauce that I make every once in a while and will probably make another batch tonight. It's a very regional vinegar pepper sauce in the vein of Blues Hog Tennessee Red. Someone in another thread asked "who trained/taught the experts" and I said "old guys, many who are no longer with us". This recipe is just that, a VERY old recipe (probably 70 or more years old) where the author is no longer with us. RIP Ray.

Ray's BBQ Sauce:

1 Quart Twelve Oaks Colored Vinegar (no substitutes)
1 Pint Ketchup
2 T Salt
1 T Black Pepper
1 tsp Ground Red Pepper
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
Juice from 1 Lemon

Mix in pot and bring to boil, stir to keep from sticking.
Let cool, put in storage container and refrigerate.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to get my hands on the most important ingredient in this recipe (“Twelve Oaks Colored Vinegar (no substitutes)”), so rather than risk not doing the recipe justice by not recreating it properly, I will move on to sauce #*13 – fattymacs.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #199
justjack
Permanently Banned

Cheers, thanks for the review. Goes well on egg and bacon burgers in muffins too, also hamburgers. I agree about the beef as a rule though, it's much more of a chicken \ pork sauce.
justjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #200
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for another great entry!
(although, for me, the pictures are displaying on this entry. Previous ones are fine)

Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #201
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernooo View Post
Up next, we have sauce #12 – compliments of Mr. Lake Dogs (again!)

#12 Lake Dogs (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=42)

I know I've already submitted mine with 2 variations. This is a sauce that I make every once in a while and will probably make another batch tonight. It's a very regional vinegar pepper sauce in the vein of Blues Hog Tennessee Red. Someone in another thread asked "who trained/taught the experts" and I said "old guys, many who are no longer with us". This recipe is just that, a VERY old recipe (probably 70 or more years old) where the author is no longer with us. RIP Ray.

Ray's BBQ Sauce:

1 Quart Twelve Oaks Colored Vinegar (no substitutes)
1 Pint Ketchup
2 T Salt
1 T Black Pepper
1 tsp Ground Red Pepper
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
Juice from 1 Lemon

Mix in pot and bring to boil, stir to keep from sticking.
Let cool, put in storage container and refrigerate.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to get my hands on the most important ingredient in this recipe (“Twelve Oaks Colored Vinegar (no substitutes)”), so rather than risk not doing the recipe justice by not recreating it properly, I will move on to sauce #*13 – fattymacs.

When I first received this recipe (from Ray's son) I found it on one particular local stores shelf. Since then I've been unable to find it, and honestly I'm not certain what a suitable substitute would be... This is/was
Mr. Ray's recipe.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #202
Lake Dogs

Infernooo, infernooo, where fore art thou infernooooo?

<bump>

Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #203
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

A quick search of what Twelve Oaks Colored Vinegar was shows it was a distilled white vinegar product that was colored to resemble cider vinegar. The most common practice was to use caramel coloring and some apple jelly to reinforce the color and flavor of the distilled vinegar. Twelve Oaks is a defunct branding owned by the National Fruit Products Company, which now sells vinegar under the Whitehouse Foods label. But, they now sell a true cider vinegar and not an artificially colored distilled vinegar.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #204
Lake Dogs

THANKS. I'll try this recipe with Whitehouse cider vinegar....

Old 04-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #205
landarc

Note that apple jelly was often used in colored vinegar, so you may need to adjust for sugar.

I'll be watching...and waiting

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #206
infernooo

Hi folks,

Apologies for the wait... work has been keeping me away from the forums and sauce testing, but hopefully I should have a bit of time to keep hammering through them now!

For those of you keeping track, we are up to sauce #13, with thanks going to fattymac for the submission.

#13 fattymacs Sauce (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=43)

Here's one that I used to win a backyard comp last year:

1/2C Peach Preserves (These were homemade by MamaMac, but any with just peaches and sugar, no pectin should be good)
1/4C Honey
1/4C Gentleman Jack Whisky (Whiskey for you Yanks)
1/2C BBQ Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's original, but any bottled KC Style sauce should work)
1 tsp. Pepper Sauce (I used Chipotle Tabasco)
1 tsp. Lemon Juice

I processed in a food processor until smooth, no cooking needed

Recipe Review:

Ingredients: A short, simple list – indicating a sauce that relies heavily on the quality of ingredients used. Quite high in sweetness (the recipe includes preserves which are 65% sugar, honey @ 80% sugar, BBQ sauce @ ~40% sugar) with a boozy kick is what the recipe suggests. As the BBQ sauce constitutes approximately a third of the sauce, the choice of sauce would make a huge difference to the outcome and final taste and consistency of the sauce.

Ease of preparation: Could it be simpler? Combine and blend! If however you are using it for dipping or another non-cooked purpose, there will be a very strong alcoholic quality to the sauce due to the whisky.

Modifications and variations tested: I tried this sauce on sous-vide-then-grilled chicken thighs, pulled beef and pork ribs. I also tried it with Head Country as a less sweet alternative to the Sweet Baby Rays.

Taste: The sauce has a strong whisky flavour, and is very sweet with a slight kick. The peach preserves provide a fruity background flavour, but the BBQ sauce and whisky override it such that it is not overly assertive. The lemon juice provides only the slightest hint of acidity to balance the sweetness (not enough IMO – see later comments), and the pepper sauce comes through very lightly.
Texture: As a new feature of these reviews, I will record a video demonstrating the consistency of the sauce as prepared and possibly after cooking further to thicken as one may do for dipping or using as a finishing glaze.

Note the music used is just a random youtube tune to replace the deadly silence from the original videos.
After blending:
YouTube - MVI_0212.MOV
After cooking (e.g. as if one were to cook down to a glaze)
YouTube - MVI_0215.MOV

Recommendations: Depending on personal preference as well as the amount of spice/heat in the rub used on the meat, I would double the pepper sauce (chipotle if you like a smokey sauce). In addition, I would increase the lemon juice to 1TB and add some extra salt to provide a more even balance of flavours. If feeding to kids or individuals who do not like an alcoholic flavour, I would cook it to remove some of the strong alcoholic kick it has. Whilst this would diminish some of the whisky flavour, I believe it would be a good compromise.

Ratings:

Appearance: 6/10 Without cooking, it is an average looking sauce. The honey and peach preserves give it a bit of gloss, but other than that, nothing notable.

Consistency: 7.5/10 This is a hard one to judge. As is, the sauce is reasonably fluid but has the potential for easily being thickened due to the high sugar and pectin content. This means it is quite versatile and can quickly be cooked to a thick consistency if one feels so inclined.

Taste: 6.5/10 Boozy and sweet. If that is your thing, then this sauce may be for you. I personally found it a little 2-dimensional (sweet/boozy… no noticeable salty/spicy/sour/umami notes). Whilst I wouldn’t go so far as to say it lacks flavour, I do think it falls short in terms of balance and complexity. Personally, I would like to see more salt and tang, and for those making this sauce, I would definitely recommend adding some vinegar or more lemon juice to thin if using on pulled pork and depending on how well seasoned the meat is, adding some saltiness via salt or Wooster sauce (which would provide tang, saltiness and umami notes)

Versatility: 7/10 Given the lack of complexity, this sauce can safely be used with a larger variety of underlying rubs, though meat selection and suitability is another issue. The fruit preserves do slightly limit the cuts suitable, the whisky does help a little where beef is concerned. Without the whisky, I would classify this as a game, poultry and pork sauce, but the boozy hit does lend itself to smokey pulled beef.

Overall Rating: 6/10 This is a real “everyone has different tastes” verdict. I can see lots of people liking it, but I personally found it lacking in areas and it just did not blow me away. With some tweaks and suitable rub and meat combinations, it could be a great sauce, but as is, it is not one of my favourites.

Photos of sauce construction:
1.) Ingredients:

Ingredients (clockwise) from top left: Peach Preserves, Honey, Whiskey, Lemon Juice, BBQ Sauce + Pepper Sauce

2.) Ingredients Blended (Sauce finished):

3.) After cooking/reducing to a glaze:

As always, thank you for the submission.
Next up, 1FUNVETs sauce!

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #207
Lake Dogs

Welcome back!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #208
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Welcome back!
I agree!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #209
landarc

Woohoo, it continues. I wonder if the whiskEy is meant to be drunk instead of added to the sauce

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #210
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Here's a link to my personal favorite barbecue sauce... yes... this one is an original...

http://www.brewsandblues.org/2008/12...arbecue-sauce/

Guinness BBQ Sauce.... great stuff!
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote