How to get your BBQ event on television?

bearnakedbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am planning a big (for Alaska) BBQ event in June and I would like to get it on TV. Looking a at 8 category event. Paying for top 5 per category with the winners getting a true Alaskan style trophies. $10,000+ in cash and prizes.

I am hoping someone reading this might be able to forward my information to someone that can put this on film.

Alaska is making big news again thanks to Sara Palin (like her or not) and all the other Alaska shows that are out about Alaska, so why not have one about our BBQ.

I believe our event would make for wonderful television. One of our categories is "Wild Game". Not sure if whale or seal meat have ever been in a turn-in box in any of the lower 48 events or not! I am personally going to make a Dall sheep stew and a friend of mine is making Mountain goat tacos.

This event is being sanctioned by the Alaska BBQ Association.

If someone can help me out, I will make sure you get an "Alaskan" style care box. I can be reached at 907-841-0789 or alaskabbqsupply@gmail.com

Troy Vincent

See if Sarah will come visit your event for her show. keith

I totally agree. As much as an outdoor person she and her family are, it would probably be worth a shot. Never know until you try. :thumb:

also, make your own show and put it on you tube. this may help future events to get on television.

Do you have a university nearby that has a journalism dept.? If so, you might talk to the dean of the department and see if a student, or students, would make a show as a class project. Once it is made and edited, you can show it to local affiliates of the national channels and see if they will pick it up.

Honestly it's all about marketing.

Step 1: Find a show that it would work for. Scan FoodTV/FoodNetwork's show listings and find shows that might be compatible.

Step 2: Come up with a hook. WHY do they want to shoot your BBQ Contest? ARe there any interesting people there? To me the biggest hook is that it's in Alaska. Come up with a catch tagline for the event. IF you call it "Jimbob's regional alaska bbq championship of upper pinnnequaw valley" nobody will give a ****. However if you call it "Fire on Ice" or something catchy like that that plays off the contrasting elements of Fire (smoke,whatever) and Ice (you're in alaska) you can make it a somewhat unique event.

Then write up a detailed brief about the show. The title of your event, what will go on, why you think it will be interesting TV. Remember.. you have to think joe 6pack from the lower 48 here. Why would WE want to watch it. Sell it from THAT viewpoint.

In marketing, you always need a hook. I threw a party after college (many years ago). It was a big ass house party that a buddy and I dreamt up. Thing is... why would people want to come to OUR party. Sure..we'll have kegs, liquor, bonfire. Whatever. We needed a hook. Ice luge was a step in the right direction.

Then I came up with the idea of the worlds' largest jello shot. We nested 3 Kiddie pools, used dry ice and bulk gelatin and a naval-base's worth of Vodka and we ended up making a 45 gallon jello shot. We named it "Get Leid" (luau theme), set up a basic website, and folks flocked to it.... a lot of them to see this jello shot. You gotta have a hook.

If you find a compatible show, and have enough unique aspects of your event that might appeal to the masses... you might get lucky and have a TV crew up there.

Agreed. I have had here at other events I have organized, but that was before she was a millionaire. Have to go thru a few more channels, but I was going to see if she or the first dude (husband) would judge.

Do you have a university nearby that has a journalism dept.? If so, you might talk to the dean of the department and see if a student, or students, would make a show as a class project. Once it is made and edited, you can show it to local affiliates of the national channels and see if they will pick it up.

I like this idea and will follow up today on it. Thanks for the advice!

troy

Honestly it's all about marketing.

Step 1: Find a show that it would work for. Scan FoodTV/FoodNetwork's show listings and find shows that might be compatible.

Step 2: Come up with a hook. WHY do they want to shoot your BBQ Contest? ARe there any interesting people there? To me the biggest hook is that it's in Alaska. Come up with a catch tagline for the event. IF you call it "Jimbob's regional alaska bbq championship of upper pinnnequaw valley" nobody will give a ****. However if you call it "Fire on Ice" or something catchy like that that plays off the contrasting elements of Fire (smoke,whatever) and Ice (you're in alaska) you can make it a somewhat unique event.

Then write up a detailed brief about the show. The title of your event, what will go on, why you think it will be interesting TV. Remember.. you have to think joe 6pack from the lower 48 here. Why would WE want to watch it. Sell it from THAT viewpoint.

In marketing, you always need a hook. I threw a party after college (many years ago). It was a big ass house party that a buddy and I dreamt up. Thing is... why would people want to come to OUR party. Sure..we'll have kegs, liquor, bonfire. Whatever. We needed a hook. Ice luge was a step in the right direction.

Then I came up with the idea of the worlds' largest jello shot. We nested 3 Kiddie pools, used dry ice and bulk gelatin and a naval-base's worth of Vodka and we ended up making a 45 gallon jello shot. We named it "Get Leid" (luau theme), set up a basic website, and folks flocked to it.... a lot of them to see this jello shot. You gotta have a hook.

If you find a compatible show, and have enough unique aspects of your event that might appeal to the masses... you might get lucky and have a TV crew up there.

Love that name! If I find a sponsor for this thing (would be easier if it where to be on TV) I was going to let them come up with the name. If they go with your suggestion, I will send you a care package from Alaska!

On the local arena, the only thing I got that is unique is the BBQ contest thing in new to the Anchorage/Matsu area. All the members (except me) of the ABA are from the Fairbanks area and this will be the first time for a BBQ event. The anchorage area has 60% or more of the states population, and so far I have found a very positive response.

The only difference between this event and what you folk have down-in-the-lower-48 will be our wonderful state (in the summer time), our "Wild Game" category, the unique trophies that will go to the 1st place winners, and the small number of teams. I think 15 to 20 would be the most we can expect.

I was told that cash is nice (paying top 5, per category. Total of $1,150 per category), but the bragging rights and trophies are more important. My goal is to spend about $4000 on just the first place trophies. In my opinion, having an “Alaskan” style trophy would be better than the cookie-cutter China trophies.

I am just starting looking for the sponsors for my event. I have one $7500, (5) $2000, (8) $500 etc...sponsorship packages available. I have several of the lower $$$ sponsors and 3 of the $500 already taken, but I am looking for larger sponsors. I did send a letter to Jet Blue since they are starting service to Alaska this summer, but didn’t hear anything back. I figure I will have to go local on my sponsors.

Anyway, thanks again for taking your time to respond to my post.

troy

PS how did the party turn out?

Love that name! If I find a sponsor for this thing (would be easier if it where to be on TV) I was going to let them come up with the name. If they go with your suggestion, I will send you a care package from Alaska!

On the local arena, the only thing I got that is unique is the BBQ contest thing in new to the Anchorage/Matsu area. All the members (except me) of the ABA are from the Fairbanks area and this will be the first time for a BBQ event. The anchorage area has 60% or more of the states population, and so far I have found a very positive response.

The only difference between this event and what you folk have down-in-the-lower-48 will be our wonderful state (in the summer time), our "Wild Game" category, the unique trophies that will go to the 1st place winners, and the small number of teams. I think 15 to 20 would be the most we can expect.

I was told that cash is nice (paying top 5, per category. Total of $1,150 per category), but the bragging rights and trophies are more important. My goal is to spend about $4000 on just the first place trophies. In my opinion, having an “Alaskan” style trophy would be better than the cookie-cutter China trophies.

I am just starting looking for the sponsors for my event. I have one $7500, (5) $2000, (8) $500 etc...sponsorship packages available. I have several of the lower $$$ sponsors and 3 of the $500 already taken, but I am looking for larger sponsors. I did send a letter to Jet Blue since they are starting service to Alaska this summer, but didn’t hear anything back. I figure I will have to go local on my sponsors.

Anyway, thanks again for taking your time to respond to my post.

troy

PS how did the party turn out?

Sounds like you've got a good head start there. I'd agree that a really cool trophy is worth more than a smaller cash prize. Keep us posted on how this event goes. I'm intrigued.

You're very welcome. I enjoy this sorta stuff. We've got our first Pre-MIM Meeting in about 2 hours. The "Core" team (5 guys) will be getting together to go over entertainment, beer, booze, lot size/location (think we're moving to 26x50 on the river this year), etc. The bug is hitting again, hard.

The party went great. $5/head got you in and everything was free. Floated the kegs, killed most of the liquor and the jello shot before 1am. Cops shutting us down was a blessing. Saved us from a very large beer run. Turned a healthy 4-figure profit as well. Another thing about event planning is learning to cut the right corners and maximize every dollar (especially wehn you're not flush with cash). You can only spend each dollar once... get the most bang for your buck :thumb:

I believe the Palins have been at other BBQ comps back when she was governor.I thought I had seen pics where she was handing out awards

Back