Maverick ET73 Thermo

BBQSamYesIam

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay, for my birthday in November, my wonderful wife got me a Maverick ET73 thermometer (after subtle hints!). On Christmas eve we entertained 18 family members and I cooked a 10lb prime rib and 20 lobster tails. All was going marvelously as the prime rib was cooking and had reached about 95 degrees, when suddenly my Maverick alarm went off and indicated a food temp of 300+ degrees! I thought my prime rib had caught fire, so I rushed outside!! All appeared fine, however, and miraculously the maverick went back to indicating 95 degrees. A few minutes later the maverick started alternating between 'LLL' and 'HHH'. The owners manual says that this is an indication that the probe has probably shorted out. WHAT??? I've only used it three or four times and it's already shorting out?? Is this normal? I cant imagine so, but it is also my understanding that the probes are NOT covered under warranty. Has anybody else experienced the same type of problem?

If you got water down in the connection between the probe and the cable it would cause problems like that. Try placing the probes (un-pluged!) in a pan of very hot veggie oil, making sure that the oil can get down into where the probe joins the cable. Water in the connection has ruined many a probe.

No, I haven't had that problem.

When cleaning the probes, have you submersed them? That'll fry them.

email maverick customer service. Since you are still in the original warranty they will replace them free of charge. i had similar problems with my food probe.

even after the warranty i will continue to use my maverick- as the probes really arent that expensive and easy to obtain (from a company in my own state no less!)

The only time mine has ever done that was when the temp was out of range.
Did you let the probe cool to room temp and reset both units?

Thanks for all of the replies. I usually try to be careful when cleaning the probes, typically just using a damp sponge to wipe them down. Great tip to contact Maverick - I will give that a try.

As for putting the proble in hot veggie oil, are you saying to submerge the entire probe into the oil? Essentially submerge it all except for the plug end? How hot should the oil be? How long should I leave it in the oil? And lastly, what do I do with the probe after it has been in the oil?

mine lasted two years and my wife let them soak in soapy water after a rather messy cook. I didn't think anything of it when I saw them, but the next time I used them.... POOOF 195 degrees when I plugged them in, in the house... lol. Going to get new ones, I love my maverick, even when it acts a little strange.

Sounds like your pit temp got too hot. They may correct them selves after cooling down and resetting the unit but be prepared to buy a new probe. FYI either probe can be interchanged to either take pit temp or meat temp so in an emergence you can change them around. Even if the pit temp is good you may still have the wire over a hot spot of coals which can effect them as well, try wrapping the exposed wire in foil and be careful were they are placed in the pit, also try not to smash the wire in the lid, this will also cause the same reaction. I clean my probes under running water with soap and a scrub pad and have never had a problem with them sorting out due to moisture in the probe. Think about it you are cooking in a very moist environment, some times with a water pan as well, its the plug in end you have to worry about with moisture. Check you gauge on you pit to see if it is reading ok.
Dave

mine lasted two years and my wife let them soak in soapy water after a rather messy cook. I didn't think anything of it when I saw them, but the next time I used them.... POOOF 195 degrees when I plugged them in, in the house... lol. Going to get new ones, I love my maverick, even when it acts a little strange.

Yes I would not let them soak but I do clean them with running water and soap all the time with no ell effect.
Dave

I have one on my wish list. Maybe I should rethink it.

I would not let this keep you from getting one of ets is one of the best if not the best one out there for the price. It does not matter what kind of probed unit you use you will have the same kind of problems if not taken care of properly. I think the good points out way the bad ones.
Dave

I would not let this keep you from getting one of ets is one of the best if not the best one out there for the price. It does not matter what kind of probed unit you use you will have the same kind of problems if not taken care of properly. I think the good points out way the bad ones.
Dave

Absolutely agree. I am not hoping to talk anyone out of the Maverick. I should add that it was snowing and blowing (in Texas?!?!) during the cook, and that moisture might have caused the issue as well. I've let things dry out completely, and now I am going to give it a try again today.

I am also the proud owner of a new ET-73 (thanks Santa!), though I have not had a chance to use it yet. However, I have had many other models and experienced probe malfunctions with all of them, mostly due to operator error. My first AccuRite probe wire got slammed in the cooker door when it slipped out of my hand on the first use, my first Polder Dual probe was ruined when I accidently immersed it while trying to calibrate the unit. Bottom line: I'm a klutz and replacing probes is a fact of life. Most BBQ supply shops carry universal and/or brand specific replacement probes. Good luck!

Just an update......the unit seems to be working correctly today! We will see what it does as the temps get higher.

It seems these thermos aren't available here in Aus, could I get some suggestions on where best to purchase that will ship here without dramas, please?

Dave

Absolutely agree. I am not hoping to talk anyone out of the Maverick. I should add that it was snowing and blowing (in Texas?!?!) during the cook, and that moisture might have caused the issue as well. I've let things dry out completely, and now I am going to give it a try again today.

Thanks for the info Dave & Sam. It is back on my list.

Back