MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

I hope to run in a few years
Right now I am finishing my final term on the CBBQA BoD
and getting ready to just cook............. Really excited about doing that

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Not sure anybody wants to be on the BOD now.
Ford, I want to be on the board or I wouldn't have already hit the ground running last month . I have three main reasons for wanting this:

1. Because there needs to be a spirit of cooperation and respect for one another returned to the board. I realize I cannot do this alone but I hope I can be an influence and reminder when things turn rocky.

2. Because regardless of who says who is a cook on the BOD, competition cooks are grossly under-represented on the BOD. How can a board of folks who don't regularly cook know what we as cooks who are out there most weekends want and need? Someone has to stand up for the cooks in all this. And someone has to speak up when ridiculous micro-management overshadows the important issues that need to be addressed.

3. Because I am tired of hearing people say things like "I'm not renewing my KCBS membership. I'm tired of all the crap" or "I'm not renewing because there's no real tangible benefit to being a member." I want folks to be proud to be a member... to see new and improved benefits (whatever those might be)... to renew because they want to be a part of a great organization.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #18
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Good thoughts Jeff

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #19
Divemaster

Jeff, you already have my vote!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #20
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Merl,
Can you tell us which member's terms are expiring and if they are all eligible to run again?

TIA
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #21
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Ray,

I am up for re-election as is Paul Kirk and Steve Omby. Mike Lake is not eligible since he already served 2 terms. I am not sure if Paul and Steve are seeking re-election but I am.

Linda Mullane
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Hey Merl,
Can you tell us which member's terms are expiring and if they are all eligible to run again?

TIA
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #22
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Jeff I renewed my membership at the Royal last Saturday because you announced your running for a BOD position.
Im hoping for some positive changes within the KCBS!
A few more benefits from our membership fees would be great.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]

Last edited by bbqbull; 10-09-2009 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: sp
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Actually Mike Lake finished my term and is now ending his first term term after being voted in. Not sure if he is eligible but he's only served one full term.

He did serve a term a while back but that doesn't matter.

I really hope people will look at the voting record and the frequency of "No report" with those other two.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #24
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Ford, I want to be on the board or I wouldn't have already hit the ground running last month . I have three main reasons for wanting this:

1. Because there needs to be a spirit of cooperation and respect for one another returned to the board. I realize I cannot do this alone but I hope I can be an influence and reminder when things turn rocky.

2. Because regardless of who says who is a cook on the BOD, competition cooks are grossly under-represented on the BOD. How can a board of folks who don't regularly cook know what we as cooks who are out there most weekends want and need? Someone has to stand up for the cooks in all this. And someone has to speak up when ridiculous micro-management overshadows the important issues that need to be addressed.

3. Because I am tired of hearing people say things like "I'm not renewing my KCBS membership. I'm tired of all the crap" or "I'm not renewing because there's no real tangible benefit to being a member." I want folks to be proud to be a member... to see new and improved benefits (whatever those might be)... to renew because they want to be a part of a great organization.
Well said bro!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #25
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Not trying to throw stones, but I hear this phrase a lot - what exactly does this mean to you? How aren't cooks represented? What specifically would you like to change if elected?

What specific important issues aren't being addressed?
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #26
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Not trying to throw stones, but I hear this phrase a lot - what exactly does this mean to you? How aren't cooks represented? What specifically would you like to change if elected?

What specific important issues aren't being addressed?
This is just a general feeling I'm hearing as I talk to people who cook. Many people don't believe they have representation because the folks making the rules and interpreting them are mostly reps, organizers and judges. Yes, some of the board members cook occasionally but most of them not enough to really be called cooks. I look at it from this standpoint - yes, I organize a contest and help with another. I'm a CBJ but only judge maybe once per year. But I cook anywhere from 10 to 15 contests per year. So I'd classify myself as a cook who sometimes plays other roles in barbeque. Most of the current board, I'd classify as reps, organizers, etc. who sometimes cook. So the point is how can one make rules and decisions that effect the cooks if they themselves aren't out there cooking many weekends a year? It's about being in touch and knowing what cooks need. I don't believe that you can really know unless you're there in the trenches with them.

What would I like to change? What isn't being addressed? It's not so much about what isn't being addressed as it is about what IS being addressed and how it's being addressed. Here's one example - in February of this year, the board considered a motion to make all rules changes, programs, etc. effective January 1 of each year. This motion failed, meaning that the board can change the rules on us at any time it wants with little notice. How is that cooker friendly? Another vote limits the size of turn-in trays/boxes for ancillary contests beginning in 2010. That limits the cooks' creativity in what is simply a bunch of fun categories where cooks can be creative and express themselves. Why limit that? Then of course was the infamous pork and parsley debates. There seems to be way too much micro-managing of issues while issues raises by cooks every year go largely untouched. I guess that's what it means to me.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #27
big brother smoke

Jeff,

What plan do you have, if any, to market KCBS competition BBQ to under-represented groups (i.e. youth, city slickers, minorities, etc.)?