Brisket Size

B

bbqpigskin

I stopped by costco on the way home tonight to pick up a couple of packs of spares for Saturday. I was checking out their brisket. The price was good $2.55 lb, but they were all under 7lbs. Is this normal? I've always gotten my brisket through my freind's restaurant, and they have always been 12-14 lbs. What is the norm for everybody?

The Costco's here on LI do not have full packer cuts, only brisket flats in the 4-7 lb. range.

I prefer packer briskets over 12 lb. Preferably 13-16lb. Need to go to a Restaurant Depot, meat distributor or order from a local butcher... Sometimes the supermarket meat managers can special order full briskets with about a weeks notice.

2.55 a pound WOW... about 1.59 per pound here for full packers. i normally get the 13-15lbs packers.

$ 3.88 per pound at Walmart here for brisket. SUCKS MOD!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard tales recently here in MN, that customers have been told by the grocers that only flats are available, because the grocers CAN'T (?)
get packers...I got two in the freezer, but if it's slaughtered and processed in a packing plant, then how can no grocer get them?

In Californ I-A don't even ask..........Its like quarter difference between trimmed an untrimmed at Sams. What am I gonna do, not Q Gods protein for people I love?

To each his own.......I like em small. 5-7 pounds is good with me as long as its bendy and dosen't look like its pure fat.

I've seen 7lb'ers at Wally World that were just the flat and I've seen 16lb'ers there also. The smallest I saw was a trimmed flat at Krogers weighing in at a whopping 4lbs.

If there is a Smart and Final in Auburn, go there. They have whole packers and they usually run $1.59-1.79 per pound.

2.55 a pound WOW... about 1.59 per pound here for full packers. i normally get the 13-15lbs packers.

I was gonna say Wow the other way, here in LA at the Costco's I have gone into ( Van Nuys, Burbank, Alhambra) the price is about $5.30/lb. It is always choice, and it is always flats, but $2.55 Get some!

I can't find packer cuts anywhere here, but I think I just found a source. A local BBQ joint told me that if I give him at least 3 days notice, he would order me a couple of 12-15 lbs/ers. He said he get a truck load every three days. His are pretty good too, though he only serves chopped brisket and takeout only. His business is pretty brisk.

I think that I'll just skip the little ones and keep getting them from my friend's supplier. It is a pretty reputable company (Atlas Meats), and they have always been good, and the right size.

Back