MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
btcg
Babbling Farker

Default What 10 Hours @ 235 Will Get You In A Brisket

So, prepped my brisket (fine butchering/injection) Friday morning, and popped it in the fridge overnight. Friday night, I prepped my Weber kettle: cleaned it, got my charcoal basket loaded and filled up my water pans.

This morning, all I had to do was start my fire and put my brisket on. Got up @ 8:15 and by 9 am, I was cooking:

Ten hours later, here's the result:

Sorry Myron, but I think I've been corrupted by the NanoQ and low & slow cooking. GAWD... I love that redness you can achieve by low & slow.

Didn't use any wood (not crazy about smoking beef - that is not a smoke ring you see), and this was a el-cheapo Giant Foods brisket ($15).

In all modesty, this was every bit as tasty as the Wagyu brisket Myron cooked us (same injection), and it had better color.

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Beautiful!...... I continue to be impressed on what the kettles & a good cook can do.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

All I see is moist wonderfullness!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Kelly
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Was it on the grate the whole time or did you wrap it in foil?
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Was it on the grate the whole time or did you wrap it in foil?
Foiled @ 160... only because I wanted to protect the outside bark.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

looks good

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Man that looks great. Very nicely done. Can we have the injection recipe?

Old 10-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Boshizzle

A thing of beauty! Congrats, bro!

Old 10-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPig View Post
Man that looks great. Very nicely done. Can we have the injection recipe?
I can't give it out, but I can give you a generic:

Dump the broth (available @ Whole Foods) into a bowl, heat, and add 1 tblsp of brisket injection. Allow to come to room temp (the brisket too) and inject.

If you have someone like my wife to feed who hates salt & spices, inject with just the broth. The small piece of brisket in the pic was done with the broth only, and it was quite tasty.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
A thing of beauty! Congrats, bro!
Don't know how I got along without the NanoQ, bro. Worth its weight in gold.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Boshizzle

Those electronic doo-dads are pretty nice. I'm really enjoying my stoker too. If it can reduce my trips outside this winter, I will be a happy camper.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
I love that redness you can achieve by low & slow.

Didn't use any wood (not crazy about smoking beef - that is not a smoke ring you see)...

Even though you are not using wood, and are not blowing visible billowing smoke, I do believe you are smoking your beef...and actually, a smoke ring has nothing to do with smoke, but rather a reaction between the nitrogen dioxide (produced by the combustion of wood, charcoal and even propane and natural gas) and the myoglobin in the surface of the meat to form nitrates in the form of nitrous acid, that diffuses into the meat to create that pink ring.

Here is an excellent article that explains the process in detail: http://smokingpit.com/Info/SmokeRing.pdf

I use nothing but lump charcoal in all my cookers and achieve very deep and pronounced 'smoke' rings.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
btcg
Babbling Farker

Didn't know that, thank you Bob!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
I can't give it out, but I can give you a generic:

Dump the broth (available @ Whole Foods) into a bowl, heat, and add 1 tblsp of brisket injection. Allow to come to room temp (the brisket too) and inject.

If you have someone like my wife to feed who hates salt & spices, inject with just the broth. The small piece of brisket in the pic was done with the broth only, and it was quite tasty.
Can't blame me for trying. lol.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:59 AM   #15
Phubar

Looks tasty!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote