Discussion Thread -> "It Came From the Sea, Part 2!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"It Came From the Sea, Part 2!"

1837471_Redhot.jpg

This was Redhot's winning entry in the 2011 "It Came From the Sea" Throwdown!

As chosen by sam3 for winning the "Game Meats"Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

sam3 said:
For the next TD category, I would like to go with "It came from the Sea." Anything that comes from the Ocean, either fish or shellfish. Main ingredient would have to be shown in raw form, on the grill and plated. Mermaid figurine optional. :heh:
All other standard rules apply.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 3/13 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 3/23/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 3/23.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Blackened salmon, lobster bisque, grilled blackened shrimp on the barbie. 24 hours to early. Is brackish water considered the sea??

It came frome the sea TD entry

crab, treasure of the sea.

Now I know it's supposed to be shown in raw form but I've never seen raw crab legs at the market so that's as raw as your gonna get from me. If it gets DQed than its dilly bar for dessert I suppose.

Crab with a side of steak. Surf and turf is a great concept.

I tried to craft an entry that would be eligible for 2 throwdowns, it can be a fun challenge. As usual for me this cook was simple ingredients with simple preparation, I suppose I'm just a simple man.

Here's my polling pic

Steak, crab, baked potatoe, beans and biscuits. Mmmm

Fine crab legs there! Most crab is processed at sea, Highly perishable and it would stink like a great big bottle of clorox on board. Love me some crab though.

Wow! Two nice entries to start this off. I plan to put in an entry later this week, I better get thinking if I want to compete with you guys.

Ok, not my best work but I am going out of town and wanted to enter something. I cooked some outstanding prawns along with the steak throwdown. And I think the mermaid makes it extra special. I got her from the rim of a really good cocktail.

Cook thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206862

And the plated goodies. Please use this as my entry photo.

2200.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Excellent entries so far.

Considering entering but sorting out how to go about it. Shellfish always present with a bang. Fish, not so much.

This will be a tough one if choosing to do swimmers over crawlers

3 entries so far.

Can this challenge be extended another week or three?

My Entry into the "It Came From the Sea" Throwdown

This was a real fun cook, you can find the full thread here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207196

I'm really torn as to which shot I should use, here are a few;
Alaskan%20Cod%20Shrimp%20and%20Stuffed%20Mushrooms%20025_zpsbcsunqal.jpg

Alaskan%20Cod%20Shrimp%20and%20Stuffed%20Mushrooms%20024_zpskmidv7qa.jpg

Alaskan%20Cod%20Shrimp%20and%20Stuffed%20Mushrooms%20034_zps0ykslyta.jpg
I always enter a "plate" shot, but I really like that middle shot on the grill.

hmmmmmmmmmmm, well that's it then, please enter the next shot into the Throwdown;

Alaskan%20Cod%20Shrimp%20and%20Stuffed%20Mushrooms%20024_zpskmidv7qa.jpg

Thanks for looking all!

Keep on Qing:-D!

KC

This should be good I love foods from the sea and still want to eat Michelle's plate of food

Official Humble entry

There is some great entries on this one! :thumb:

I will add my humble entry of Salmon and Prawns as an oficial entry in the "It Came From the Sea" TD.

It is very gratifying to catch and then cook the food - I am fortunate to live where I can get great sea food, game, and veggies.

This is a pretty simple method of grilling Salmon but I do lke it.

The full cook is here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3196638#post3196638

Please use this as the entry

View attachment 108996

Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
Fried Pompano with Mango Habanero Salsa and Sweet and Savory Brussel Sprouts

This is my entry into the "It Came from the Sea, Part 2" throwdown".

And finally for the Fried Pompano here is the fish before filleting.

And after

Here are the fillets. Normally they leave the skin on this fish so I left the skin on one to see what the difference would be. (In fact this fish is very often cook whole)

I drizzled on some citrus infused EVOO, spread that out and then some Fresh Ground Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper.

Now I took a C.I. skillet and heated up 1 tbsp. of citrus infused EVOO and then added 2 tbsp. of butter.

Added the fish and fried for 4 minutes.

Flipped and another 3 minutes.

And now plated with a nice Rose’ wine.

Here’s the Money Shot below.

Delicious! :becky:

The entire cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3197145#post3197145

OK, that's a wrap! Poll to follow shortly...

thats-all-folks_zpscd702bb8.jpg

Back