Wagyu...brisket of course....

W

wormdrink67

Due to the drastic increase in Snake River Farm's price they require for a decent sized brisket, I was wondering if any of you that cook with them could tell me a better place to get wagyu briskets. As is, I would be paying almost $200 per 17lb brisket if I continue to buy from SRF. I'd rather not pay that much if at all possible....it's somewhat ridiculous. Thanks.

Buy a deep freeze, turn it into wet age cabinet using a temp controller, buy prime, wet age, freeze.

Repeast steps as necessary.

Just get your brisket from Wally world works for me Waygu has a funny taste to me

... As is, I would be paying almost $200 per 17lb brisket if I continue to buy from SRF. I'd rather not pay that much if at all possible....it's somewhat ridiculous. Thanks.

Is shipping that expensive at SRF? I've never bought anything there so I'm seriously asking. They have 17-20lbs briskets listed at $95.

-Mike

Snake River Farms

The BBQ Czar is buying them (delivered) at $5 a pound. I have a very good connection through my food distribution company in Florida. If you have any business in Florida or anywhere close...I could through the "BBQ Less Than Load" transportation services possibly help.

What I mean is...we have been able to buy some...give them to a friend who is going to Georgia, who meets somebody that is going to Arizona and there you go.

That takes some coordinating, but it works. I'm buying em in the 16-20lb range and have had a lot of success. However, as mentioned previously...they can tend to run bitter from time to time. I have found that the pan drippings can be overly oily as well.

With that being said...when you hit a good piece...it has dusted our best CAB and or Prime briz scores.

Let me know if you have a connection to the south and I may be able to assist you.

The BBQ Czar

Is shipping that expensive at SRF? I've never bought anything there so I'm seriously asking. They have 17-20lbs briskets listed at $95.

-Mike

Yes, they are that expensive. The price they want for the brisket has not necessarily changed, but when you go to check out, SRF regulars will note their shipping cost has more than doubled. I assume this is due to the fact that they've gotten wise to how many are using their product on the bbq circuit and have decided to charge more....a lot more....The same goes for the their kurobota ribs, they only want $11 for the rack, but the shipping cost brings that total to around $60.

Unfortunately, my brisket guy is on lock-down for competition BBQ teams, otherwise I would send you his contact info. He actually told me that he talked with a couple of other producers in Nebraska and Kansas who are low on briskets with high demand and they said this is national issue. I call it the 'BBQ Pitmasters Effect'. The problem is simple really--for every cow you produce you only get TWO briskets, but many roasts, steaks and burgers. In order to keep up with demand you have to sell all the roasts, steaks and burgers before you can increase production for briskets. SRF has been able to keep prices relatively low because they are a relatively large producer with a national distribution chain, but I'm guessing from their exposure sponsoring Myron and Tuffy, their demand for briskets is way up and they are beginning to get strained.

Additionally, shipping prices go up on UPS and FedEx's end when fuel prices go up--so paying a lot and paying more for shipping is a reality we are all going to have to bear in the present and in to the future.

Any brethren want to help me ($) get a Wagyu ranch going here in Central Iowa? :wink::laugh:

That being said, I would try paradise locker, as well as Strube Ranch (Lotta Bull perfect 180 Jack brisket). To see if you can get what you want.

Hope this helps!

cant sell pork collars anymore they got to make it up somewhere.......just went to web put in 1 12-14 brisket with the disc code [srfbbq] for the loyle customers , 15%off....and now 71.00 shipping,3 weeks ago 25.00.....they lost my loyalty just a note we just ordered 3 from texas 3.50 per lb 62.44 shiping look nice,havent tried um yet. talked to 2 of the top teams, they were no longer using them do to price and quality going down hill in last 6 months

Go to the source: http://www.wagyu.org/ click on the Premium Sites logos and start contacting. Snake River Farms is not the only game in town.

I've never cooked SRF, so I can't offer any input. I don't think I would ever do mail order meats in the first place. Have this control issue with my meats...

The ones I have used are Mishima Ranch (Flats) http://www.mishimaranch.com/product.html
and KBA (packers) http://www.kobe-beef.com/

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

I end up with a lot of trim for burgers.

cant sell pork collars anymore they got to make it up somewhere.......just went to web put in 1 12-14 brisket with the disc code [srfbbq] for the loyle customers , 15%off....and now 71.00 shipping,3 weeks ago 25.00.....they lost my loyalty just a note we just ordered 3 from texas 3.50 per lb 62.44 shiping look nice,havent tried um yet. talked to 2 of the top teams, they were no longer using them do to price and quality going down hill in last 6 months

I have a feeling the CT Butts/pork collar trim will get some revamping to appeal to the consumers and the KCBS board will have to pull their heads out of their a$$es and recognize that.

I'll be paying more than last season for Wagyu, but my butchers got some beautiful Oregon Country Natural brisket flats that are calling my name....
http://www.countrynaturalbeef.com/

I don't taste ANY price difference in a CAB vs Wagu brisket. I am sure that most judges the tent can't either. Fact is the most of the ones who pay the money for a Wagu could cook a brick and make it taste good. A farkin $200 SRF brisket is not the key to win. I would like to see a poll on here for those who have a 1st place win in brisket and what type brisket they cooked to win it.

Our local supplier cuts us a great price on SRF so that is a nice luxury. We have actually went back to cooking CAB tho and are happy with the results. Over the last year we have won brisket 4 times. 2 with CAB and 2 with Waygu. I would rather cook two great CAB's instead of 1 Waygu.

Don't let that fool ya tho....ol' Smokin' Cracker has been on fire down here with brisket and he only cooks the finest SRF briskets. If they won't touch down in Sebring and come off the back of a G6, they don't make it on his Spicewine!

Interesting Statistic (Wagyu)

Last year we won Brisket 4 times for the year...not bad...our first year as "pros''?

3 - Wagyu (Bigger scores when it is "on", less category calls)
1 - CAB (More consistent scores, less big scores)

Here is the interesting part...we never took 2nd or 3rd a single time.

Like I said before...for us it is all or nothing with Wagyu...it is either loved or not by the judges. My personal opinion is that CAB or Prime aged is safer, but when a Wagyu hits big for us we won the competition last year.

It has actually confused us at times to where we were cooking two briskets CAB and Wagyu and that is way too expensive.

Hope that confuses you more than ever. Right now...we aren't sure what we are cooking two weekends from now.

My opinion...try a Wagyu, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't taste "right"...you may get a bad draw. Try them (at home) until you have tasted a very good one and you'll know what I'm talking about. I hope that your first one tastes great so that you don't have to incur the costs.

Then evaluate the risk...Wagyu is the pretty prom date that wants to go as friends. However, she wants to drink for the first time that night...you never know...I'll see you all at the Wood Pile.

I cooked Wagyu twice last year. I also cooked choice CABs at those same contests to see how they would stack up. I ended up going with the CAB in one of the contests because it tasted better and yielded better tenderness. When I cooked with my buddy Jay Wolf at the Jack last year, we cooked two really nice CABs. The one we turned in took 4th, and scored a 174+ if I remember correctly.

I just priced out 4 SNF briskets. Shipped to my door, they would have cost $512 bucks. Sorry, but I just can't justify that cost at this point. If it was so much better and could consistently give me a leg up on the competition, I would consider it.

Just my $.02

I have a feeling the CT Butts/pork collar trim will get some revamping to appeal to the consumers and the KCBS board will have to pull their heads out of their a$$es and recognize that.

I'll be paying more than last season for Wagyu, but my butchers got some beautiful Oregon Country Natural brisket flats that are calling my name....
http://www.countrynaturalbeef.com/

I'm all over that :thumb: You have a bitchen butcher!

Back