MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Default Peach wood; is it just me?

I got a bag of peach woods chunks. They are pretty good size chunks.

Anyway, I threw some on my UDS a few weeks ago when smoking some ribs.

Well, the smell of the smoke was really pungent! Nothing like any other wood I have used.

Is it just me, or does peach wood put off a really strong smell?

Thanks.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Peach is a sweet smelling wood - when burning clean.
Smoldering wood will be bitter and pungent.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
DirtyChurro
Knows what a fatty is.

Not to sound snarky, because it isn't meant that way, but isn't smoldering wood what you want?
DirtyChurro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyChurro View Post
Not to sound snarky, because it isn't meant that way, but isn't smoldering wood what you want?
Fair question. The key aspect of smoking meat is a desired TYPE and COLOR of smoke. Thick, white billowing smoke (common with smoldering, partially burnt wood) is not what we are shooting for... but is full of bitter particles (not fully burned elements)... many refer to as an undesired aftertaste.

Using fruitwood is not as BTU rich or as hard as oak, maple, or hickory wood which are the true hardwoods - requires hot burning fires which results to a thin blue smoke in appearance. The cleaner the smoke - better the results.

Using chunks mixed with charcoal - will vary in proportions for different smokers and designs.

The smoker on the left - is running too cool and not ready for meat. The smoker on the right is ready to cook.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Meat & Heat
Knows what a fatty is.

Kinda smells like piss to me. I have used a lot of peach and agree it has a differen't smell, nothing like apple, cherry, or even oak, which I think smells good while smoking.
It does through give a good flavor
Meat & Heat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
DirtyChurro
Knows what a fatty is.

I have not used peach wood. I generally use cherry and apple and they smell great when they smolder on the tray above my propane flame in my Smoke Vault. It puts off that blue smoke for me. For a while I thought the smoker was performing poorly because it wasn't chuffing the white smoke I used to get from my old smoker back in the day. I haven't had anything on live coals for a long time. My UDS will be done someday...
DirtyChurro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

My FIL cut down a dying peach tree, and the wood was very mild on the smoker. If it was really smokey, and as someone mentioned, "smelled like piss," I would have to think that the wood rotted.

Seriously, the peach wood I smoked with was some of the mildest wood I have smoked with. That was just my own personal experience.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Got any pics? Maybe it was not Peach?.... Peach I've used has always been nice, sweet & mild.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
Got any pics? Maybe it was not Peach?.... Peach I've used has always been nice, sweet & mild.
No problem. I'll get some pics tomorrow and pits them back.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

I've cooked with a good bit of peach wood, never noticed a piss smell. But it does have a strong smell when cooking but it only adds a mild sweet smoke flavor to the meat. And it helps add some extra color the the meat as well.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Probably wasn't seasoned completely-both peach and cherry have that bitter, "piss" smell when still somewhat green, it comes from the hydrocyanic acid in the bark. Freshly-cut cherry wood has a very bitter, unpleasant smell which goes away as it dries. Same with peach.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
<clip>

Using fruitwood is not as BTU rich or as hard as oak, maple, or hickory wood which are the true hardwoods - requires hot burning fires which results to a thin blue smoke in appearance. The cleaner the smoke - better the results.

<clip>

The smoker on the left - is running too cool and not ready for meat. The smoker on the right is ready to cook.

Bandit,
That picture is a fantastic illustration of good and bad smoke!

For your statement about fruit vs. hard woods, I'm not clear on what you are saying. Are you saying fruits or hard woods have to burn hotter to get the thin blue? For me, I have a UDS which of course is a smoldering fire where the temp is restricted by lowering the air flow. Would it be easier for me to use oak and get thin blue compared to the normal apple or cherry I use (or peach in the OP's case)?
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
nthole
Babbling Farker

That picture should be in the faq for beginners. That is a perfect example of smoke.

That said, I tried peach once and hated it. So it might not be just you. Sometimes there are things you just don't like!
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Another factor with peach and cherry is the size of the wood pieces-larger pieces with less or no bark are much better than small limb chunks with a lot of bark. The bark is where the bitter smell comes from.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

How did it taste?