MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
Velox
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

So at this point anything I assembled, I disassembled so I could add the paint. I painted the lid, the drum and the lava pan with Rustoleum High temp spray paint. Make sure to get it in any of your cut holes to prevent rust from exposed metal.

Now put it all together and VIOLA:

Next step: Correcting problems

Old 07-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I don't know if you have seen this in another thread. I saw where someone had added a handle to the vent on the bottom of the ECB. Something like a wood dowel screwed into the vertical part of the vent. It would make adjusting the vent easier.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
Velox

So the first problem I ran into was WAY too high temps even with the dampers shut. The reason, the front hole on the lava pan. I simply could not find anything that I could use as a suitable damper. The hole is 1.5" in diameter so I thought about using a couple of 2" washers with a bolt and nut to seal it off and just use the bottom dampers for airflow. Then my father said to me, "Why not use a can lid". I thought.....yeah.....why not?

I drilled a 1/4" hole above the lavapan hole then through the lop of the can-o-beans lid. Inserted a stainless carriage bolt and a wingnut. Works great and problem solved!

The final product:

Next Step: Some food pRon from my first smoke on the 4th. I cant post it until later thought because my wife is standing next to me demanding I take her to the beach.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
Jaredhulon323
On the road to being a farker

instead of silicon Lexel would be the better option due to it not being so tempermental with heat
Jaredhulon323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
Velox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
I don't know if you have seen this in another thread. I saw where someone had added a handle to the vent on the bottom of the ECB. Something like a wood dowel screwed into the vertical part of the vent. It would make adjusting the vent easier.
Funny you should say that:

Eyehook and 2 nuts...all stainless.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
Velox

Okay now for the end result. I pickup up a pork shoulder at my local Costco.

I was a little nervous at first because the butcher at Costco said it was one giant 15 lb piece. He was wrong:

The first thing I did was a brine. I wanted to use pickling/canning salt, but I was unable to find any, so I went with Kosher salt (13 oz) and put it in a blender to get that powdery texture of canning salt. Then I added 8 oz of Molasses and finally 2 quarts of water.

Stirred it all up and it ended up looking like something I did NOT want to put this butt into.....but I did anyway.

I let it sit in the brine, covered, with a plate on it (Pork floats) for 12 hours. After that, I took it out, patted it dry and put on the Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple Rub from BPS.

Once coated I covered it again and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight until I was ready to smoke (about 9 hours).

THE SMOKE:
I woke up about 4am on the 4th, took the meat out of the refrigerator to lose a little bit of it's chill. I lit the ECB, added my Hickory chunks (Which have been soaking overnight) and waited for it to get to temperature (Between 225 and 250). I also added a little bit more rub. I got the meat on the ECB at about 5AM. I filled the water tray with just water this time.

I maintained the fire for the first 6 hours refusing to look at the meat (Holy S**t Kingsford bb produced a ton of ash!). At the 6 hour mark I took a look...and it looked great...nice bark. I then sprayed it once per hour with a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. At 10.5 hours I hit 190 degrees.

Took it off the grill, wrapped it in foil and right into the cooler for another hour. Out of the cooler and to into my dual wielding forks produced this:

Tasted great, but to be honest was a tad on the dry side once it was pulled and sat for a couple of minutes. I rectified this the next day when I took the leftovers to another party. I reheated it in the oven covered with foil at 300 degrees after I added some apple juice to it. Came out amazing.

So I guess that's it, thanks to everyone who gave me advice and special thanks to all those who saw potential in the ECB and decided to post their mods. Hopefully this thread will help/inspire someone else to do the same.

Tags
brinkmann, ecb, MODIFICATIONS, Mods