MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Tri-Tip with Death Dust Rub Butter

Wanted to try some of the Death Dust I had ordered...also wanted to preserve the mouths of the family. My solution was to make a Death Dust Rub Butter to top the beef with...2 tablespoons Death Dust combined with 2 sticks of butter. Easy.

Fired up the mini for some reverse-sear action. Mixture of BBK and Comp K with oak for smoke. Tri-tips rubbed with a combo of Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork Rub and Santa Maria Steak Seasoning.

I usually pull the tri-tip off between 130-135 internal...do this by lifting off the center section...and let it rest while I bring the fire up for the sear.

Took these past 135. We cook tri-tip at one-day comps out here. The damn judges want me to overcook the beef. I've been turning in come GREAT meat...only to receive comments on the color, doneness etc. I MUST do better at the next contests...it's really making me mad!!

So, after a bit of a rest, the sear. Finished these at about 150 internal...usually try not to go much past 140.

And another rest.

Sliced, plated, with some rub butter on top (look judges, uniform color, no pink).

And for those that just had to have a little more to eat...this was my favorite part of the meal.

This was a VERY good meal. The rubs all blended together nicely. With the Death Dust in the butter everyone could control how much of the heat they got.

Out of the pouch the Death Dust hit me with a celery salt, sweet sugar, building heat combination...pretty much in that order. When mixed with the butter, things were mellowed a bit and the sweet seemed more prounounced. The rub butter was excellent on the meat, potatoes and the cornbread...good thing there is some left!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Phabulous!
I'd love to be a judge for your plates!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Redhot
is One Chatty Farker

Nice, Death Dust butter, great idea! Food looks so good, love that last pic of the DD buttered cornbread!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOSM "Bubba Q", Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl", ET-73[/FONT][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Avatar by NorthwestBBQ[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
Redhot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
deguerre

All the fat in the butter helped temper the effect of the pepper on the palate too I imagine. Nice meal!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhot View Post
Nice, Death Dust butter, great idea! Food looks so good, love that last pic of the DD buttered cornbread!
I'm thinking death dust clarified butter lobster dip. But the only problem is I dont have death dust.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

fark me, that looks like a good meal.

very nice creativity on the combos.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fantastic I was actually thinking about making up some jalapeno cornbread but now I may have to steal your butter idea too.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
All the fat in the butter helped temper the effect of the pepper on the palate too I imagine. Nice meal!
Yessir! The DD didn't really wanna kick you arse so much in the butter...it was "happy" in there. Toned it down enough that Mrs. FamilyMan enjoyed her fair share as well.

Next up...chicken thighs marinated in a DD/buttermilk combo!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh wow wow wow!That looks magnificent! You used one of my all time favorite combos with the Santa Maria and the Comp beef and pork! I use it on chuckies and man it makes for some of the best eating your family will have! I think your idea with the DD butter is ingenious and I will probably use it just like that since the heat will be too much for my wife, I think she will like it like that.

Great Pron man! Thanks for sharing.
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyManBBQ View Post
OK, now you've REALLY got my interest.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
Redhot
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyManBBQ View Post

Now that sounds like a plan right there! Of course I'd add a little more of the DD than you did with the butter, but I know you want the missus to enjoy it too!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOSM "Bubba Q", Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl", ET-73[/FONT][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Avatar by NorthwestBBQ[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
Redhot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
Will32Rod
Full Fledged Farker

Fantastic idea with the butter. Homerun in my book!
Will32Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will32Rod View Post
Fantastic idea with the butter. Homerun in my book!
Thanks all! Gotta give credit to kcmike...followed his recipe for rub butter on the Oakridge BBQ site. I do think its a great way to regulate the heat of the Death Dust.

Will definitely make some more rub butters in the future.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
Hugo
Full Fledged Farker

Great idea, perhaps I should get some DD to The Netherlands....

Old 10-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Midnight Smoker View Post
Great idea, perhaps I should get some DD to The Netherlands....
Yes. You should. Phubar says so. At least, I think that's the voice that's in my head telling me to do things...