MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Humphrey's Lump

I just wanted to thank LMAJ once again for letting me know about this stuff, and where I could get it. I can grab 10, 20 or 40 lb bags right down the street from my house.

I love Wicked Good but it's expensive and for the money you really can't beat the Humphrey's. I usually buy the 20 lb bags and I think they're like $12. They only had the 10 lb bags left last time I was there, she told me the new shipment would be coming in soon.

This is what I want to see when I open a bag of lump. 10lb bag btw.

I took out those top few pieces and dumped the rest in a box. Nice size pieces throughout.

and here's the shake left in the bottom of the bag. Not much.

So thanks again LM, and if anyone can get their hands on some Humphrey's, I say go for it.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Wow looks great!!

Wish i could find it in my area!!!
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

I get it in fleetwood, where in boyertown carry's it?
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Jason,

How does it compare to RO? I used to use kroger lump until I found RO. To me, it burns unbelievably clean, but I'm looking for something that comes in bigger bags. I can only get RO around here in 8 lb. bags.

Dave
VA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Size does matter!
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
fingerlickin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddahavit View Post
I get it in fleetwood, where in boyertown carry's it?
Pottstown Roller Mills. It's been a couple weeks since I've been there, you may want to call first just to make sure they still have some left. Like I said they were down to 10lb bags last time I was there. She didn't say exactly when the new shipment was coming in, just that it would be soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Dave View Post
Jason,

How does it compare to RO? I used to use kroger lump until I found RO. To me, it burns unbelievably clean, but I'm looking for something that comes in bigger bags. I can only get RO around here in 8 lb. bags.

Dave
Head and shoulders above RO in my opinion. The last few bags of RO I got were absolute garbage. It still sparks a little bit when I hit it with the torch but nothing like the fireworks show with RO. If you can find it, go for it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

last bag of RO I bought was pretty sad.

Small pieces. Not much dust in the bottom so I dont think it was from it breaking up from rough handling.

My Kroger lump in smaller bags was better than that.

I order Wicked Good from Ace, and mix it with this small stuff
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Get my Humphry's briquetts here a mile from were I work cant beat it great guys too.
http://www.firecraft.com/category/charcoal-wood

Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
fingerlickin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
Get my Humphry's briquetts here a mile from were I work cant beat it great guys too.
http://www.firecraft.com/category/charcoal-wood

Hey! Speak of the devil, I was just talking about you in my other thread.

Is firecraft a brick and mortar store? Where's it located? I know you were back and forth between PA and NY. I'd love to check out the briquettes, I'll have to ask my place if they have them, I never thought to do that. I see firecraft has free shipping over $99 too.

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 03-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Default Re: Humphrey's Lump

They are in West Chester were i am near qvc. They sell all bbq stuff great place to have close by check the site out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Glad that's working out for you Jason. I have noticed the last few bags we cracked open had some really good sized pieces and very little small pieces.

The folks at the roller mill are great - it's about time we make our yearly trip to stock up!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I use Humphrey lump in my offset charcoal basket and the UDS. I get it from a Brethren at the BBQ Equipment Store. Really great price and service.

However, for some reason I just can't get it burn slowly in my Backwoods. I have even tried a maze and it seems to all light up at once. It still burns long, but I find KB to be best in the BWS.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Default Re: Humphrey's Lump

Not a fan of lump in the BWS for long burn times I have always used briquettes.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD