• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Experiment

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well, it had to happen, I decided to try injecting a brisket. And since I was going there, I went with a 15 pound choice grade packer brisket that was trimmed of most of the fat and injected with a test injection. Now, most folks will use a beef broth or commercial injection formula that either is designed to make a brisket taste more beefy (not sure why this is necessary) or to literally change the nature of the brisket. This second option I totally understand. If I was going to compete, I would use something like Butcher's Injection (which I have two bags of) for it's proven flavor and texture improvements. But, I am going for an augmentation of flavor my way, so I made my own.

In doing this, I was really trying to augment the savory profiles of the beef without really changing the flavor of the meat. I went with some proven elements for my taste palette. Onions, carrots, garlic, dried shiitake mushrooms, Bragg's Amino Acids and Red Boat fish sauce. I am hoping to get a blend of the aromatics and umami elements with the addition of some sodium as well.

Bob's Test Injection
1 small onion
4 small carrots
2 cloves garlic
3 shiitake mushrooms, dried
1/4 cup Bragg's Aminos
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Red Boat Fish Sauce
6 cups water

I brought the water to a boil, reduced to a simmer and added everything but 2 tablespoons of fish sauce. After 10 minutes and back to a simmer, I cut the heat and let it steep until cool. This was bottled and allowed to sit for 2 days. Upon opening, gave it the sniff and taste test. It smelled great, no fish smell, no funkiness, just a nice aromatic blend, I would liken to a vegetable version of demi-glace. It was a little intense and salty in terms of taste. But, no matter, I used two cups to inject the brisket until it started rejecting the liquid. Into the fridge for now.

ya start smoking, then yer injecting....

Sound very interesting - looking forward to the rest! :hungry:

I gotta pick me up some of that Bragg's.

Fish sauce and smoked brisket, now there's a first! Looking forward to the results. I just came back from RD and am going to fire up a brisky on Sunday myself.

Well, I had hoped to have it on sooner, but, work is causing delays :mad:, I am thinking it goes on at 3ish, which means I pull at 8 or 9, rest to 11, looks like a late night snack tonight. I do have onions and pickles ready to go though :-D

Is it done yet?
Not yet, now sit down back there and quit messing with your little brother...don't make me come back there!
Sounds good. Let see some pics.
My neighbors are gonna wonder 'what is that danged fool doing with that flash at midnight now'
That injection sounds great Bob, I look forward to hearing your feedback.
If it is even halfway good, I am coming out there and making you appreciate a few slices!

that sounds very interesting. cannot wait to see the results. just curious, why the liquid amino acids?

This thread is gonna need pictures plus "taste-test-technology". Sounds like I should try that when it's done...can ya bring some to Manito?

This sounds very interesting Looking forward to the results. I have to agree work does interfer with a lot of things

Back