Rib Cook Off

MrSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
We have a cook off here May 28th and it will be Beef Ribs with meat provided at 7:00 AM and Cooks meeting a 8:30 AM. I haven't done Beef Ribs yet and what i remember Phil saying they take more like 8hrs.Being the recipe forum is down i need some advice. Thanks Brothers

MrSmoker said:
We have a cook off here May 28th and it will be Beef Ribs with meat provided at 7:00 AM and Cooks meeting a 8:30 AM. I haven't done Beef Ribs yet and what i remember Phil saying they take more like 8hrs. Being the recipe forum is down i need some advice. Thanks Brothers

I was thinking of trying to drive up and get my bro in law to do that event. Seemed like a nice informal way to get feet wet.

As far as beef ribs, I think you will not know till you see them. In my limited experience cooking them, they vary widely in the way they are trimmed. Those 77cent a lb guys are way different from the massive meaty things.

G$ let me know if you can make it, i will go even if i don't compete and would like to meet a Brother. The last Cook Off at Pioneer Village was fun but i didn't do very good. Theres a bunch locals that do these and quite a few events happening here. I will be sporting my Brethren Hat.

Season them like a brisket or beef chuck. Cook, basically, like a brisket - LONG and LOW for as absolutely long as you can go. When they start tendering up - foil them up.

What time is judging?

I'd have my fire going before I left for the cooks meeting. I'd have the ribs seasoned and sitting under cover (prying eyes you know!!) to come up towards room temp - you gotta make every advantage in this type of event.

These are just ideas off the top of my head. You're mileage may vary. :D

chad said:
Season them like a brisket or beef chuck. Cook, basically, like a brisket - LONG and LOW for as absolutely long as you can go. When they start tendering up - foil them up.

What time is judging?

I'd have my fire going before I left for the cooks meeting. I'd have the ribs seasoned and sitting under cover (prying eyes you know!!) to come up towards room temp - you gotta make every advantage in this type of event.

These are just ideas off the top of my head. You're mileage may vary. :D
Turn in 2:00 PM, i did what you suggested last contest when they gave us frozen spare ribs and didn't get them done. :roll:

7 hours from "meat possession" to turn in if ya get them on time.
Knock off 30 min "prep" and 20 min "turn in fussing" time and you have about 6 hours to cook.
From what I remember (PooBah help out here)--Beef ribs in smoker need to be about 5-2-1 or more!
If they are not frozen--works (but close)!
May need to crank up the heat a bit, but..... :lol:

Sounds like fun and "level playing field" at least.

Good luck!

TIM

kapndsl said:
7 hours from "meat possession" to turn in if ya get them on time.
Knock off 30 min "prep" and 20 min "turn in fussing" time and you have about 6 hours to cook.
From what I remember (PooBah help out here)--Beef ribs in smoker need to be about 5-2-1 or more!
If they are not frozen--works (but close)!
May need to crank up the heat a bit, but..... :lol:

Sounds like fun and "level playing field" at least.

Good luck!

TIM
This place sells BBQ Beef Ribs and i'm thinking they don't want anybody showing them up.Maybe some of the Judges are regular customers and will be comparing.I just think six hours is not enough time :roll:

Like I said: start the fire before the cooks meeting. Season as soon as they hand you the meat. Leave it out under a towel to start coming up to room temp, etc. etc. etc. Cook them around 250 for say four hours and then spray and foil or put in a baking bag - at this point I'd crank the heat up to 350 or so and see if you can get them to finish.

I'm guessing you can't technically start cooking until after the cooks meeting?? That cuts another 1.5 hours off your time. That's why I say grab the meat and season it and let is start coming up to room temp.

You gott use every trick to get the time for the meat to cook.

Regarding your last event: if they gave you frozen ribs they are morons! Any advice I gave was based on thawed ribs!! :D

Final thought and them I am going "nighty-night".

I almost bet that most of the competetors are 'Grillin'--not 'smokin'.
See that all the time down here with Rib Comps.

If so--a "high heat" smokin' session would win every time--IMHO. :lol:

Have fun.

TIM

MrSmoker said:
G$ let me know if you can make it, i will go even if i don't compete and would like to meet a Brother. The last Cook Off at Pioneer Village was fun but i didn't do very good. Theres a bunch locals that do these and quite a few events happening here. I will be sporting my Brethren Hat.

My wife reminded me I will be out of the country those days.... not sure what I was thinking.

G$ said:
My wife reminded me I will be out of the country those days.... not sure what I was thinking.
Wives are good at telling us what we're thinking. :roll:

Back