Primo vs BGE

Smokin Mike

is Blowin Smoke!
if you had choice which model would you get?

thanks for any input, I am looking for a pizza maker/ and something to do steaks/burgers/grilled chicken. I will only use it at home, have no plans to take it to comps,,,,yet.:twisted:

Thanks again!

Michael

There are a few brethren that have both smokers whose opinion will be useful. All of the rest of us think the one we have is best.

If I had a choice I would seriously look at the Primo because of the versatilty and oval shape.

I'd say Grill Dome is the way to go. Top notch customer service is the key. Check around the boards for service related issues. Of course we all seek perpetual validation.

I have never seen a Primo in person. But by looking at the Pictures it would appear the design of the Egg would allow for more even heat. Think about the Weber Kettle. The dome on the XL has not been a problem for a 14lb Turkey I did on it, I do feel the dome should be more Egg shaped like the large. This would allow for more headroom, but then how often would you cook a turkey?

The customer service at BGE has been outstanding.

As far as Pizza, what is the span in width on the Primo? The XL is 24"

Why don't you throw Grill Dome into the mix, they make a nice ceramic as well?

only reason I didn't include it,,,, I really don't know a dealer that carrys them that I talk to all the time. I only use 2 bbq dealers here, and know both very well.

thanks for the idea/info :)

planning getting rid of the gasser, it's very old, rusty and needs to be thrown away, replacement is going to be a BGE or Primo :)

It's like asking Ford or Chevy. Best thing is look at both in person and make the decesion.

I looked at both Primo and BGE and shopped hard. Both have advantages in some areas over the other. Like was mentioned before the Primo is made in the USA. Right now especially that meant a lot to me. Therefore I chose the Primo.
Of the three ceramics mentioned here there is only one made in the USA.
Now if the Primo were junk I would not have bought it no matter where it was made but it is a first class grill/smoker. With the help of my Primo and the good folks at BBQ Brethren.com I am turning out better food than I ever have in my life.:biggrin:

I've only seen Primo's unused two or three times in person so I'm not as familiar.

Anyone have a cost comparision of similar sized models ?

From what I recall, the Primo Large Kamado had a larger diameter than the Large BGE.. Not sure how their oval compared to the Large or XL BGE in square inches..

If it's not apples for apples it may not be as easy to compare costs.

When I was shopping back in October the XL BGE was $1000 plus tax with no accessories. I got my Primo XL with firebox divider,drip pan racks and ceramic diverter plates for $910 OTD. Oh and they threw in a 20 bag of Primo lump.

The large egg is by far the biggest seller in the industry.
The dealer network and customer service are unmatched.
Pizzas are round.

I got two large BGE and a Primo Oval XL and i love em both.

Both have their pros and cons, but those are just minor details.

The large Egg heats more even than the Primo XL and it also takes less time to heat up, but off course it has less volume.
I like the eggs top vent and ceramic cap over the top vent of the primo wich has to be adjusted each time after opening the lid.
On the other hand, Primos oval shape fits primal cuts better, its easyer to cook brisket or ribs, or use the charcoal divider for indirect or more versatile cooking of different items at once.

Ray is right, Pizza is round and imho the egg is a way better pizza cooker.
The Primo might have room for two pizzas at once though, but imho doesnt distribute the heat as even and doesnt get as hot.

I wouldnt consider buying the XL egg, in that case id rather add a mini or small to a large egg for about the same money.

I dont care where the product comes from as long as its good quality and offers good service. Both Primo and BGE are top notch, and even though Primo produces in the US BGE is still an american company and youre buying from an american dealer right ?

Agentmichael, if your main use of a cooker is burgers, steaks, chicken and Pizza, you should go for the large egg.

Anyway, whatever decision you make, you cant go wrong when buying a ceramic.

Cheers,

DM

Here is a link Thirdeye shared with me....if you need more room.

They are both excellent cookers.

Back