Tonybell Inspired and ssv3 Supported Bistec Fajitas: Cook In Progress

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Tonybell did a very nice asado cook awhile back which involved a spice mix called Chef Merito. This is not available in the Memphis area, but ssv3 was kind enough to send me a care package of a few blends. (Thanks again! Brethren spirit lives. :thumb::thumb:)
Anyhoo, I finally got around to doing this up today. So, I have a nice flatiron steak which I generously dusted with the Chef Merito Carne Asada & Bistec rub.
Fantastic stuff.
Tony’s marinade was listed here in the OP: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174573&highlight=chef+merito
This is pretty close to a basic mojo I make:
1/3 cup evoo
2/3 cup bitter orange juice*
2 tbs minced garlic
1/2 tsp (rounded) cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 to 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

So I combined Tony’s with the above, and adjusted for two pounds of meat. Instead of beer and water, I omitted the salt above and used Cooking Marsala and water. Sauteed the cilantro, onion and minced garlic in the oil, added the spices and bitter orange juice and brought to a boil. Took off the heat immediately and added the marsala and water and allowed to cool before marinating the steak.

Accompanying the bistec will be some homemade refried black beans (OK, I cheated and used canned beans…), some Mexican style rice, pico de gallo, bell peppers, jalapeno and onions marinated in olive oil and Fiesta fajita seasoning (No salt kind), and some guac.

Been prepping since 12:30, and making the pico and rice while the steak and peppers marinate. Probably will be grilling on the kettle in a couple hours.
Here’s some pics so far…

The steak

chuck_zps6696654f.jpg

chuck1_zpscad7b332.jpg

chuck2_zps0c5dc435.jpg

The marinade ingredients...

mojo_zpsd7978fe5.jpg

The peppers...

peppers_zpsfe752965.jpg

In the marinade...

marinating_zps8cb77ac0.jpg

For the refried beans (That's beef fat from a brisket cook instead of lard)

refried_zps4d736084.jpg

For the pico, just left out the lime juice and salt in the pic...

pico_zpsd754952b.jpg

For the rice...

rice_zps0c7ade79.jpg

In the rice was 1 1/2 cups basmati, the drained can of corn, the drained can of tomatoes and chilis (Used half of it) the liquid from both cans and water to make three cups of liquid, 1 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 1/2 tsp powdered onion and1 tsp powdered garlic and a little black pepper. Cooked as normally. Bring to boil, stir, cover, reduce to simmer and let it go for 20 minutes, take off heat and let sit for an additional 20 minutes, never uncovering until the last step is done to fluff with a fork.

To be continued...:mrgreen:

Last edited:
You have gotten really dangerous with that camera - fantastic stuff here!

Is it done yet? I'm getting hungry over here! :mmph:

:laugh:

I say you have it in the bag Guerry. Looks beautiful.

If anyone is farkin things up it's Denver.:evil:

Back