Need a new smoker

thompsnt

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am wanting a new smoker. I've looked at several different models. I currently use a Yoder smoker. I have a 640. I am looking at Assasin 28, Jambo, and Lang. I do compete KCBS. What do y'all think. I have read every post on here. I'm kinda wish there were videos on a Jambo Baby J.

I am wanting a new smoker. I've looked at several different models. I currently use a Yoder smoker. I have a 640. I am looking at Assasin 28, Jambo, and Lang. I do compete KCBS. What do y'all think. I have read every post on here. I'm kinda wish there were videos on a Jambo Baby J.

What don't you like about the Yoder?

I am looking at Assasin 28, Jambo, and Lang.

What made you narrow it down to these three specifically ? That may help to give further inputs... pro/con or alternative to consider in line with your reasoning for selecting these three...

I am not necessarily narrowed honestly per say. But jambos have great track record and langs are all over YouTube and that makes me feel better about them. And the assassin is just about perfect as far as size and ease of cooking. I also looked at East Texas Smoker, pitmaker, and lonestargrillz. Might be a case of information overload.

I have looked at soooo many. I'm information overloaded.

The Assassin doesn't have much in common with either the Jambo or the Lang. If I were you I'd decide what kind of cooker I wanted (stick burner, insulated vertical, gravity feed, etc.), and then narrow down your requirements from there, such as ease of transportation. Eventually the right answer will be right in front of your face. It's a pretty awesome feeling when that answer comes to you, trust me. :) Good luck!!

decide how you want to cook, feed stick, set it forget it, your all over the map, hard to help.

Everyone will recommend what they have, not really going to pertain to you until you decide how you want to cook, and move said cooker....moving it can be a deciding factor..

Just get the Assassian since you are used to easy with the Yoder. :wink:

I know a guy that would sell this one. It's not a jambo but REALLY close.

Last edited:
I have cooked on all kinds. I don't mind either kind really. I like the jambo for the fact that it's a stick burner and it has a great track record. I like the assassin for the ease-of-use, also the fact that has a great reputation. The lang cookers make me feel at ease because of all the videos on YouTube and I feel like I know what I'm getting into. I've cooked on reverse flow smokers before.

Hard to transport to comps. I don't have the cart version.

You can add the cart if you want. Yoder sells them alone to add after the fact if you chose. YS640's are a very popular cooker on the circuit and a proven winner.

The big question is how you wan to cook. You pretty much have three different cooker styles listed there. I like regular flow stick burners, (the Jambo in your options), but that is a big transition from your Yoder.

When I was looking I knew I wanted a set it and forget it cooker. It narrowed the field a little. then it was really just down to features and personal preference. All the ones you listed have fan bases and thats comforting to know when you are spending that kind of money. Plus lots of suppport here too! Good luck with your choice.

Does anybody on here have a baby j? I searched and found very little. That is appealing to me as is the assassin 28. I think I want to keep the yoder at home.

A Blue Assassian with Grey Racing Stripes. :thumb:

Last edited:
Muscrat, what kind of smoker is that and what are details. I am probably out on it, but what are the details.

PM TuscaloosaQ. Guaranteed the best stick burner out there for the money. Ive never seen a Jambo in person, so I cant compare his to a jambo. But if you are considering a Lang, do yourself a huge favor and contact Paul. You will thank me. He has done alot of work for people on here.

Back