MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
mikerobes
On the road to being a farker

Default Fat on Brisket for catering

We are a comp team, that has been ask to cook Brisket for a Church Group of 100.We trim all fat from briskets, for turn-ins and home use. When catering, does anybody eliminate all fat too. I know my yield wont be good, but I worry about complaints of Fat. Thoughts? Thanks

Southern Q Gravity Limo Cooker
Southern Q 500 Water Cooker

Sometimes It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission

I like to sit down and have a quiet beer, then several noisy ones
mikerobes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
SkinEz

Name/Nickname : Skinny

When i cook with fat on I usually throw that part away. Not good to chew on. However, I have been trimming the fat down almost to the meat lately. Two reasons. Get rid of bad fat no one wants to chew on. Increase the amount of bark people can chew on... Hope this helps.
SkinEz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Some fat is ok. Are you going to do packers and then split them? If that is the case, I would split and trim aggressively. If you leave about an 1/8" of fat no one will complain.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
mikerobes

I will cook the packer, split and make burnt ends. Everybody love's those.I'm planning on doing them pretty much comp style at this point. Its probably not the smartest thing. If I decide to do more of these, I may want to re visit my approach. I will charge accordingly. That in itself may reduce my volume. There definatly a difference in comps and catering, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Southern Q Gravity Limo Cooker
Southern Q 500 Water Cooker

Sometimes It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission

I like to sit down and have a quiet beer, then several noisy ones
mikerobes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

There's good fat and not so good, I leave some of the cap fat, remove the wad when trimming off point. When they are done and ready to slice remove the excess fat. This will help your moisture and tenderness. When you look at a slice you only see the bark the thickness of the slice. People are more impressed with the smoke ring than bark.
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

hmmmmm

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorolddan View Post
People are more impressed with the smoke ring than bark.
Say wha?????
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

Quote:
People are more impressed with the smoke ring than bark.
I have too many people tell me my meat is not cooked when they see the smoke ring. I cook mine to 190, separate the point and flat and cook for another hour or so and slice everything. I trim almost all the fat off before serving.
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Say wha?????
This is becoming more common, influence of a lot of talking heads and bloggers. You can't fake a smoke ring...blah blah...

I trim all chunks of fat for every brisket I cook, but, I leave the fat cap and some fat on the sides. I like how the fat cooks down and gets a crispy bark on it. I happen to like a little fat with my meat.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
tcv21
Full Fledged Farker

I trim the fat but leave about 1/4 inch on. I love the flavor that it provides. As far as smoke ring comment? LOL
[/COLOR][B][COLOR=Black]

[/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]
tcv21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
This is becoming more common, influence of a lot of talking heads and bloggers. You can't fake a smoke ring...blah blah...
I'd be pissed if I got brisket with little bark! May as well have saved some bucks and got Dickey's to cater if someone is gonna trim off all the bark...
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #12
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
There's good fat and not so good, I leave some of the cap fat, remove the wad when trimming off point. When they are done and ready to slice remove the excess fat. This will help your moisture and tenderness. When you look at a slice you only see the bark the thickness of the slice. People are more impressed with the smoke ring than bark.

THIS!!

Old 05-14-2014, 12:48 AM   #13
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerobes View Post
I will cook the packer, split and make burnt ends. Everybody love's those.I'm planning on doing them pretty much comp style at this point. Its probably not the smartest thing. If I decide to do more of these, I may want to re visit my approach. I will charge accordingly. That in itself may reduce my volume. There definatly a difference in comps and catering, but I haven't figured it out yet.
Comp style will be too expensive, and unneeded time and work. I pretty much do what Franklin does in his youtube videos. I find this the best approach for quality/cost.

Here is how he trims

Here is how he slices for service
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Those are some damn good videos. I like the way Franklin roles. Thnx TailGate!!

Old 05-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

I trim all chunks of fat for every brisket I cook, but, I leave the fat cap and some fat on the sides. I like how the fat cooks down and gets a crispy bark on it. I happen to like a little fat with my meat.
But you can fake a smoke ring, lol.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote