MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #7666
Bone In
Got Wood.

I understNd everything and can't wait to start, but what do u use under the coal basket to catch the ash so it doesn't just fall on the bottom of the drum? And I assume the coal basket sits on screws coming through the wall like the grates.

And no water pan like the WSM right?

I can't afford a WSM but these beauties I can have 2

Old 03-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #7667
stglide
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone In View Post
I understNd everything and can't wait to start, but what do u use under the coal basket to catch the ash so it doesn't just fall on the bottom of the drum? And I assume the coal basket sits on screws coming through the wall like the grates.

No water pan for most....

Why stop w/ 2....

No water pan for most, but I've some will do it...

Most people use a large pizza pan or something similar. You want it larger than your basket, or at least I think you do. You use Stainless bolts (some use Zinc, but that's always a topic of discussion) and raise the basket to around 3" above the pan. It becomes one unit, so to speak.... See pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basket Build - Small Image.JPG (51.6 KB, 1154 views)
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #7668
Stig
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey'sbbq View Post
Stig, what is RTV and where do I get it?? Sorry if that is a stupid question. I am not real mechanically inclined...Thanks for the info...
Just do a search for food grade RTV silicone (RTV means room-temperature vulcanizing). RTV is commonly used for automotive gaskets, but I don't know if the parts store stuff is food-grade. A quick Google search came up with this http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/su5...be-p-2286.html
Weber 22 OTG
Weber 18 Smokey Joe
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #7669
Sterling
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaze View Post
Hey guys, I have adrum that i just finished the burnout, stripping, repainting, and drilling for the shelves and ports.

Unfortunatly i forgot one part.... I have some light surface rust on the inside of the drum i was planning to electricute off. But now with the holes in the drum i will have to seal, and the stainless parts exposed to the process i'm a bit concerned.

Do you think the electrolysis will strip the stainless parts? how long should i zap it for a light surface rust. deeply pitted parts usually get 24 hours. I am thinking of trying six to ten and see where i'm at.

Do i need a electrolite like baking soda, or does it work with clean water as well?

A grinder and my head inside a steel drum does not sound like a good day.
Elf, don't worry about the light rust inside the drum. It means the drum had no dreaded liner that you would have to remove.

What did the drum originally contain?

If nothing toxic, spray it with Pam, do a seasoning burn and you should be good to go.

Don't overthink things. Check out NorcoRedneck's, "If a Redneck were to Build a Uds" thread.

Cardinal rule: K.I.S.S.

Sterling

Born just fine the first time, thanks...
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #7670
Bone In
Got Wood.

Thanks makes sense!! How big is your basket? And then the pan sits on the screws you have coming through the barrel.. Hardest part is making the basket..

Thanks for the clarification

Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #7671
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
You COULD seal them in with some high-temp RTV (food safe, not sure what type to use). If they are very loose, welding would be the best. I would not use JB or solder.
JB, as JB weld? Rated to over 400. I use it inside of several smokers.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #7672
Mossberg
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindave74 View Post
Noticed you still have the orange liner in there.......you planning to burn it out or sandblast. Those can be hard to deal with.
Sadly where i live burning the barrel is illegal, so i went with a non-toxic, non-caustic (citristrip) paint stripper. Put it on, placed the lid on adn covered it up so the stripper wouldnt dry out, and let it work for a few days. This morning about 230ish I took a copper scrubbing pad (4) to it and cleaned it out nicely. Cleaned off the lid also. Gunna run a whire wheel over it to get the remaining paint out of the dents and dings. I had some motivation so i took it out on the coal basket. Its slowly coming together.

Coal basket is 15" wide, and 8" tall.

Mossberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #7673
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

My basket sits right on my ashpan secured with 3 return springs, my grate is elevated and adjustable sitting on flat bar X through the basket. I can adjust it high enough to grill. The only mod that I made, was to make my grate out of exp. met. too much coal was falling through the Weber grate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill's Homemade Smoker 003.jpg (62.8 KB, 1124 views)
File Type: jpg Bill's Homemade Smoker 005.jpg (102.6 KB, 1123 views)
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #7674
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

So how important is to use a charcoal basket made of stainless steel expanded metal? I know ideally it's good to use SS hardware, but does that apply to the charcoal basket too? Just asking, cause it costs quite a bit more and harder to find. I can probably build 4 baskets with standard expanded metal than using SS.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #7675
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
So how important is to use a charcoal basket made of stainless steel expanded metal? I know ideally it's good to use SS hardware, but does that apply to the charcoal basket too? Just asking, cause it costs quite a bit more and harder to find. I can probably build 4 baskets with standard expanded metal than using SS.

standard is perfect. Stainless is "over the top"
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #7676
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone In View Post

Many people are mounting a pizza pan several inches below the fire basket so the whole unit lifts out of barrel for easy cleanup, here's mine:

Many people also use a water pan, but many people prefer not to because they like the distinct flavor the food gets from the fat dripping directly into the fire and steaming back up to the meat.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #7677
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
Just do a search for food grade RTV silicone (RTV means room-temperature vulcanizing). RTV is commonly used for automotive gaskets, but I don't know if the parts store stuff is food-grade. A quick Google search came up with this http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/su5...be-p-2286.html
http://www.permatex.com/documents/ms...lish/81160.pdf

Even the non-food grade stuff seems pretty harmless. It is stable up to 450 F. If you are getting that hot on you intake pipes, you would have some scorched unedible meats anyway I think.
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #7678
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
standard is perfect. Stainless is "over the top"

I agree. If it is SS, it stands for Super Spensive
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #7679
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
I agree. If it is SS, it stands for Super Spensive
I saw a UDS somewhere.....maybe even on here, that was made from a stainless drum.....wowza....talk about Spensive. I think the drums are over $300-$400.
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #7680
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindave74 View Post
I saw a UDS somewhere.....maybe even on here, that was made from a stainless drum.....wowza....talk about Spensive. I think the drums are over $300-$400.
I've seen one somewhere in cyberspace, but as I recall, the stainless drum was a freebie!

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker